• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What is a collector grade Airgun?

My HW55M
IMG_3698.JPG
IMG_3114 copy.jpg

and my SLR98 (.177 Hyedua )
IMG_3979.JPG

Back to the original question, I believe “collector grade” if mentioned in a for sale ad, means an older gun in exceptionally good physical condition. Even unboxing or handling such guns risks degrading their grade. I find them very appealing but way out of my price range and they don’t physically fit into my life.

There are other kinds of guns I still consider collectible but I avoid the term “collectible grade”: now-rare guns in good working condition, and guns that have special story behind them. A friend recently sold one of the latter - it’s an air rifle that was used by an Olympic champion. The seller offered to remove some of the tape and even bite marks from the shooter (she had a habit of resting her teeth on the stock between shots) but the buyer insisted all of that stayed as-is. I agree - I would have wanted the same exact original.

I’m also a fan of guns that can be shot and enjoyed a bit without ruining the value. I’ve bought, owned, and eventually sold a few of these. This is a great way to learn more and experience more without building up a collection that never gets enjoyed and one day ends up at a massive auction sale.

Reactions: wijib
I dare to assert, that air guns are not collectible items. Air guns, including old ones, are bought to be used, and not hung on the wall or placed in glass bulletproof safes. We are just a small circle of people who love air guns, that's all.That’s why I don’t call my air guns a collection, rather an arsenal.

Last edited:
Reactions: fishing43