What is a "Cheap" gun - Cost of modifying an Avenger and a Modified Crosman 2240

Reactions: SkeeterHawk
where did you buy the Carbon fiber tubes to stiffen barrel and O-Rings for Spacers from?

thanks
I have ordered all of the CF tubes off of e-bay. They come from China, so you have to be pretty patient, but they eventually get there and work awesome.

I'm practically an investor in The O-Ring Store by this point. They are great and even send you a piece of candy with every order.

FYI, here is a link to a post that I created that shows how to install the CF tubes over the Avenger barrel. Here I give links to the sites on E-bay.

Cheers!

Jonathan

great hack on the mags.. I watched the video with ""Jame's fix" but he claims the .25 mags does not need anything. ??
One of the mags that came with mine was still sealed in the plastic packaging.. when I get the AE Swede mag thing worked out.. I think I will just keep the stock ones in the range box as back ups. An AE Swede is about the cost of 2 factory mags and about the same capacity.. That mags looks far superior to the Avenger ones.

Follow up one the Creworks Yong Heng compressor./.. The seller took care of both problems post haste,, I had not yet even set if up and was about to return it. That prompted an agreement with him.. The unit works great..

He gave me $40 return plus tax. Putting the cost to me at $160.. SMILE .. promised me receiving a new cover in 12 to 15 days.. It arrived in 8 days and was delivered by DHL not USPS. I bought 5 temp gauges for $10 off Amazon and they were F not C read out. I had purchased the warranty on Ebay for under $20.

I want to recommend this seller and his product.. if anyone else is looking for homemade air..

Be Well All

update on YH compressor

Last edited:
Update on the AE Swede mag and adjustable rings conflict. Even with the adjustable rings maxed out and set at 2 notches higher in the rear to fix the POI.. still now enough the clearance to fit the larger mag..

I ordered a set of rail risers.. the lowest ones they had.. this made clearance room. But the scope was so high that there was no way to use a cheek weld on the stock. So tossed that plan and finally modded the rear ring adjustment lock down by drilling out the screw hole since I had to extend it past its intended limit..

Even with that.. the clearance was so close that the front side ring height was touching the scope.. At this point I had the front scope ring literally held by the back clamp . Grip with Avenger... front Picatinny rail is way to short to accommodate the brand rings I used and the Hawke scope.. At least to adjust my eye relief. I don't like to have my scope bell shape touching a ring..

I ended up moving things around and going against my drathers . So now after all that the AE Swede was still touching the mag. I shopped for some store bought ring shims (just not my style to use cut up pop cans). I am too cheap to pay 20 bucks for a couple strips of plastic.

I solved the problem by stealing one of my wife's plastic bread board thin plastic sheets. That I am proud of because.. I cut off a 2cm wide strip. then rounded the corners of the sheet and put it back and she did not notice..smile..

This shim did the trick using basically stuff the store bought use.

So a couple hours of time and a couple days of waiting for rail order to arrive and then not being able to use. I have a working set up.. I think.. I still need to resite and make sure I have enough scope adjust to get ready to go shooting..

Question.. will the Avenger double load pellets?

Be Well All

Resizer_16683608335339.jpg

Resizer_166836083366811.jpg

Resizer_166836083381313.jpg

Resizer_16683608330543.jpg

Resizer_16683608102291.jpg

Resizer_16683608333667.jpg

Resizer_16683608331905.jpg

Update on the AE Swede mag and adjustable rings conflict. Even with the adjustable rings maxed out and set at 2 notches higher in the rear to fix the POI.. still now enough the clearance to fit the larger mag..

I ordered a set of rail risers.. the lowest ones they had.. this made clearance room. But the scope was so high that there was no way to use a cheek weld on the stock. So tossed that plan and finally modded the rear ring adjustment lock down by drilling out the screw hole since I had to extend it past its intended limit..

Even with that.. the clearance was so close that the front side ring height was touching the scope.. At this point I had the front scope ring literally held by the back clamp . Grip with Avenger... front Picatinny rail is way to short to accommodate the brand rings I used and the Hawke scope.. At least to adjust my eye relief. I don't like to have my scope bell shape touching a ring..

I ended up moving things around and going against my drathers . So now after all that the AE Swede was still touching the mag. I shopped for some store bought ring shims (just not my style to use cut up pop cans). I am too cheap to pay 20 bucks for a couple strips of plastic.

I solved the problem by stealing one of my wife's plastic bread board thin plastic sheets. That I am proud of because.. I cut off a 2cm wide strip. then rounded the corners of the sheet and put it back and she did not notice..smile..

This shim did the trick using basically stuff the store bought use.

So a couple hours of time and a couple days of waiting for rail order to arrive and then not being able to use. I have a working set up.. I think.. I still need to resite and make sure I have enough scope adjust to get ready to go shooting..

Question.. will the Avenger double load pellets?

Be Well All

View attachment 305159

View attachment 305161

View attachment 305162

View attachment 305163

View attachment 305164

View attachment 305165

View attachment 305166
Yes Sir, it will double load.

Thank you.. I think I did that.. So another question.. would it be possible if when double loaded.. One pellet remained in the barrel and the 1st one left it?

Be Well All
Hey Gatorproof,

I can speak from experience that the Avenger will double-load too. That said, either you cleared the barrel, or have a mass of lead stuck in there. The easiest way to tell is just to shine a flashlight on the open breech and look down the barrel. You can do it backwards as well, if looking down the barrel makes you nervous...it is just harder to see. I've had this happen twice. The first time, I pushed the pellets back through. The second time, I didn't have time, and went ahead and fired it...and nothing happened except a low impact, thank goodness. Hopefully, you cleared the barrel already.

Good luck 🤞

Hey Gatorproof,

I can speak from experience that the Avenger will double-load too. That said, either you cleared the barrel, or have a mass of lead stuck in there. The easiest way to tell is just to shine a flashlight on the open breech and look down the barrel. You can do it backwards as well, if looking down the barrel makes you nervous...it is just harder to see. I've had this happen twice. The first time, I pushed the pellets back through. The second time, I didn't have time, and went ahead and fired it...and nothing happened except a low impact, thank goodness. Hopefully, you cleared the barrel already.

Good luck 🤞
OK thanks.. One of my Hatsan's will double load.. I just fired to clear out with out incident..
When I was trying to fit that that AE Swede
Mag under my scope.. I spaced out that the mag was loaded..

I caught it before it was fired.. I emptied mag and believed I had 2 pellets in the barrel.. I shot it into the dirt and preceeded..

The odd thing occurred as I was still trying to fit the mag under the scope..

The scope was touching on front side of the mag.. However the mag slide in and locked..

So I decided the would dry fire the gun and see if the vibration caused a problem with the fit..

I then decided to add a shim on each ring to get that extra bit of clearance..

I got a phone call and just happen to luck over at the window.. They was a bullet hole in it.. Say what🤔.

The good thing was that window had a small crack maybe from hurricane Ian.. It was scheduled to get replacement anyway..

That's why I asked if one round could stay in the barrel..

Resizer_16684568413871.jpg

a bullet hole in it.. Say what🤔.
I hate it when that happens!! I had a target set up on a box in my office that had catalogs in it to stop the pellets while I was tuning. Well, when I got my Avenger over 40FPE during the plenum install, I ended up blowing through all of the catalogs in no time, and blew about a 1" hole in the siding in the side of my office. Oops!😳 At least it wasn't facing toward anything that I would care about a projectile flying at...like my young daughter's room. The POI would have been at least 20 feet away, but that was close enough for me.

BTW, I thought this was too funny and laughed out loud!
That I am proud of because.. I cut off a 2cm wide strip. then rounded the corners of the sheet and put it back and she did not notice..smile..
The hole in the side of my office was like this for me. I cleaned it up with calking as soon as I noticed, and my wife painted a few weeks later and didn't notice...or mention it. Now it is all painted and matches. Woo Hoo!

Ok

First.. thank all you guys for guiding me thru this quest.. You are the best...

Well after all the drama.. all the hours.. and all the head scratching..

This photo saz something..

50 yards.. resting on a Caldwell Stinger.. (best bench tool I have ever owned)

So with 3.. 8 round (iffy Avenger) mags..
That's 24 rounds.. Using 8 year old.. JBS Kings 25.39 ammo (.25cal)

19 In one ragged hole.. From a used $300 Chinese pellet gun.

What else can I say??

Be Well All

20221212_125959.jpg

20221212_130749.jpg

Last edited:
I will definitely have too much $$ in my avenger lol. However I don't plan on selling and I don't feel so bad modding a cheap gun to start with. My TJ barrel is on the way back to me right now from being machined. Going to wrap the barrel with a bunch of carbon fiber to the thickness of the stock shroud too. Maybe a waste of $$ but it will be a cool project nonetheless and something not everyone has done.

Reactions: 357cal
Threads like this one have served me well. Thanks. 👍🏼

🟠 One reason why some of us do these elaborate

GEP's (Gun Ennobeling Projects):

We shy away from the high up-front price on the sticker of a high quality gun:
▪ "How much money did you spend on a toy?!?" 🤷
▪ "So, it's not even a real gun, you say. So, you paid for a BB gun $1200?!?" 🤦🏻

But of course, we still like the functionality, or looks, or performance of the high price gun....
And so... — we keep adding performance parts and doing mods that cost each just small amounts.
And we usually avoid adding them all up.
Until thread like this one, that is! 😄

⚫ Not too long ago I seriously considered the GEP's route with a China gun.
Several times my mouse hovered over "Place in cart" of a
• forward side lever mod — $150
• Huma regulator — $120
• LW barrel — $300
And down and down the rabbit hole it would have gone. 🤣
▪ Until I grew some courage and "manned up."
▪ Until I realized that I don't really enjoy doing complicated and risky mods (I know, many of us here DO! 👍🏼).
▪ Until I realized if I'm going to spend all that $$, I might as well buy my dream gun ready made.

So I did.... 😄

🔆 Threads like this one have helped me not to fall into the GEP HOLE (the Gun Ennobeling Project Hole). Thanks! 😊

Matthias

PS: Did I tell you about the other three HOLES that I DID fall into...?! 😆

Last edited:
When I joined this thread.. I posted the same sentiment. So I bought a like new used FX Dreamline 22cal. Lite

AR style and a pretty gun.. Then I ran across a same as new wood stalk Avenger at an attractive price..

I didn't need to sort anything out on the FX. I did however.. go thru some bug-a-boos with the Avenger..

Now at 50 yards. I the two are side by side on paper targets. A bit shocking.

The FX was more then twice as much money.

To be fair.. If I were to sell the FX.. I have no doubt it will retain its value much better..

My point is .. If you buy the right Chinese boy toy.. You get comparable performance from it as a higher end model..

I would not have believed that if I had not experienced it 1st hand..

Be Well All

To offer an opinion that was not asked for. I am new to airguns but I have rode bikes most of my life. I made an effort to mod all of them to make them my own. in most cases it would be cheaper to leave it like it was but anybody could do that. When one saw my bike he could tell it was built to suit me and not them. That gave me pleasure.
The fella modded his gun o suit him and that generated four pages o questionable comments. Well I think he did a good job if it makes him happy.

My point is .. If you buy the right Chinese boy toy.. You get comparable performance from it as a higher end model..

I would not have believed that if I had not experienced it 1st hand..
Thank you for stating your honest findings! (y) As you said, it is not the same out of the box, but if you sand a few burrs while getting to know your gun "intimately", you are the better shooter for it IMHO.

🔆 Threads like this one have helped me not to fall into the GEP HOLE (the Gun Ennobeling Project Hole). Thanks! 😊
I have come "full circle" here. While I have enjoyed modding all of my guns and getting to know them and the science of airgunning in the process, the next big purchase I make will be a gun that is designed to deliver more power from the ground up. I say this because my 2240 has pretty much capped at 32FPE. To get higher than this, I am going to have to replace the valve, and probably a number of things along with it. I am quite happy shooting it around 28-30FPE, so why keep modding it? I don't need to be able to shoot 40gr slugs through every gun I own.

The fella modded his gun o suit him and that generated four pages o questionable comments.
I wouldn't say the comments have been "questionable". I have been surprised by the lack of trolling here, TBH. There are differing opinions, and shooters are expressing them, but everyone has been (mostly) respectful. As a bonus, we've gotten to see some AWESOME Avenger mods!
Well I think he did a good job if it makes him happy.
Thank you, and yes, I am as happy as a little clam shooting all of my modded guns. Eventually I'll buy a gun with a higher resale value.

"To be clear it was directed towards the comment made to the OP in the Facebook group.... I took it he was proud of his build and posted about it in the Facebook group and basically got told the AEA was better and for a more reasonable price"
Hi @MileHighAirGunner

My apologies for bumping an old thread. What is the Facebook group?

I am looking to purchase an inexpensive PCP to dip my toe into benchrest. I want to join the facebook group and learn more about comparing the AEA and the Avenger. Thank you!

Cheers