• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What if you love the scope but not the reticle??

Yesterday I ordered the .25 Impact M3.....and I planned on getting the Blackhound 6x24 bc of the ability to focus down to 10yards (as opposed to the Arken which can only focus down to 25yards) my only reservation is that I don't love the reticle. It seems a lil too busy for me with all the MOA #'s (I wish they cut half of them out) I also would prefer the center of the reticle to have the floating crosshairs like the Arken.

Do you think this is something I will get used to over time? Or is a reticle SO important that I need to find one that I really like?

Blackhound Reticle: 

ASCENT-Reticle.1622727094.png

Arken Reticle: 

rsw_1200,h_1200.1622727110.jpg

Then you are not a happy man. ;^( I have learned over the years that if I don't like the looks of the reticle right off I should not buy the scope cuz I will likely never be happy with it. I will even overlook a bit of color aberration so long as it has a reticle I like. Although whether or not the reticle floats to me make little difference.

Edit;

So, I would sum it up this way if you don't love the reticle you don't love the scope.

Then you are not a happy man. ;^( I have learned over the years that if I don't like the looks of the reticle right off I should not buy the scope cuz I will likely never be happy with it. I will even overlook a bit of color aberration so long as it has a reticle I like. Although whether or not the reticle floats to me make little difference.

Agreed! I’ve been down this road a few times as well.

Tom

Edit;

So, I would sum it up this way if you don't love the reticle you don't love the scope.

Thanks, I appreciate the advise.

I find unless I do a ton of range finding and changing distances all the time while shooting the busy Xmas tree reticles bother me a lot. They don't bother me as much as when I first got them but I could certainly do without them. It is a challenge now getting the right scope specs with the right reticle and/or down to 10yrds. Most scopes are WAY too heavy for our purposes.

The whole tacticool thing has most scopes designed for long range powder burner shooting and not airguns. I really wish reticle changes were cheap. Most are unobtainable at any cost. Leupold is one of the few that does reticle changes on just about any old or new scope. Most the rest are few and far between. 

Scopes are all a trade off for airgunners now. I try hard to get the reticle I like. You will see it every shot.

Return the Blackhound if your order was put down, try Vortex diamondback 6-24 ffp, this one got the reticle you like and is probably a better scope.

And it focus down to about 8-9 yards even it says "down to 10"

Does it focus down that far on the highest magnification? Just asking because a lot of scopes only focus at their claimed "close focus" when at the lowest magnification.

Kerry

I could never get use to the Blackhound reticle pictured. it's too busy, plus it is hard to see the 1, 1.5 and 2 mil marks where I hunt the most. Now that larger Arken reticle pictured is really nice. It kinda looks similar to my Element Titan scope, but I have the "Clean" version and really like that one.

Right??? I can't believe they made such a nice scope and dropped the ball so hard on that reticle! I am now looking at the Athlon Midas Tac 6x24 

If you have any other suggestions please throw some at me.

This is the Athlon Reticle 

midas tac reticle.1622841975.jpg