• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What I just learned about slugs. (from a slug shooter)

Interesting topic. I just recently got into airguns (2 years ago) and only in the last year got into the high power HPA stuff. My background, of course, is cartridge guns. I hand load something around 22 different calibers and cast my own slugs for all but the tiniest calibers.

Recently, I built up a 357 caliber rifle on all Cothran parts and a TJ barrel. Beautiful stuff, all 304 stainless and strong. Well, anyway, I built the gun, and it didn't take long before I was wondering if any of those moulds I had for my 35 cal pistols would produce good shooting projectiles in my new rifle. I slugged the barrel (standard practice for guys that cast their own projectiles) and ordered up a sizing die of the appropriate dimentions. The next issue was that I needed pure lead, fire arms don't use straight lead, they sweeten it with tin and antimony thus making it harder and better flowing. This is not good for airguns as it is too hard to seat the slug into the leade. So I had to find a source for pure lead.

Something else I normally do for my cast projectiles is to powder coat them. This is done for a couple reasons that I'll not go into here. For my air rifle, I just fill the lube grooves with a standard bullet lubing wax and run them thru the sizer die. I have a lot of 35 cal moulds, ranging from tiny little 95 grain slugs for 380 auto to giant 220 grain slugs for 35 Rem. I have found that up to about 155 grain they all shoot quite well. Larger works well too, but I don't like how much the velocity falls off.

It has always been my experience that you have to find what works best in your gun for what you want to do with it. Pellets work fantastic (and even better if sized), but as you know, in 35 cal, you can count the available offerings on one hand. And even worse, they are stupid expensive. So for me, figuring out how to intermix stuff from one side of the shooting hobby to the other has been tremendously useful. And what the heck, I can make pretty much any slug for a couple pennies. Even less when shooting into a trap and I can reclaim them. And oh yeah, don't discount roundballs, they may seem like something that should have been left in the 1800's, but they work really well in airguns.

It is rare to find a good slug shooter. Believe me. I spend thousands in my search and found only two guns. Not all guns can shoot them.

If they do, there are always one or two flyers out of ten; that gun still is not a good slug shooter.

Agree. It’s a gun that kinda shoots slugs. Has its good days and bad. In the powder burner world it’s a gun that’s for sale or traded.

Late to the game! But wanted to say I do still use pellets for plinking, hunting & close range pests (out to 50) Probaly always will.

However slugs are great for larger beast!

The guy made it sound like NSA slugs are not top the line. I can tell ya thats not fact!

Ive tested most all the 25 cal offerings & don't believe you could find a better slug regardless the price....

The fact they cheaper has nothing to do with the quality! It's just iceing on the cake.

Lewis and Clark had a Girandoni air rifle. It utilyzed round balls due to its gravity fed magazine...not pellets or slugs.

In my, albeit brief, foray into airguns, I have found that slugs are best for larger calibers and pellets for smaller (flame proof suit on). I have a fairly decent assortment of moulds (something around 80 now). These are mostly from my centerfire reloading days and range in calibers from .224 to .458 caliber. I have tried properly sized 22 cal slugs in a few air rifles but found them to be unimpressive. OTOH ever try to find a 45 cal pellet? Slugs are the only game in town...and work VERY well. It only makes sense to use the heaviest projectile your rifle can manage. Lightwieght, often pellets, can be a waste of energy (flame proof suit still on) as they are just not heavy enough to properly transfer the energy. Sure, they go like heck, but that is a fleeting thing that wears off really quickly.

To me, the determing answer is this: Use whatever makes the most power at the range you want to shoot while still printing a decent group...duh, right?

This assumes the rifle is being utilyzed for hunting...which is my game.

Chris