• This section is NOT for leaving Member feedback. To leave a Member feedback regarding a Classified transaction simply go to the Members profile and click the ADD FEEDBACK button.

What Happens When You Only Require 10 Posts For Classified Access ?

I’ve been a member here since 2017, and I have yet to find the type of arrogant folks you describe. There are the annoying ones for sure, and in time they weed themselves out cause no one wants to respond or give them the time of day. Most here are helpful, and especially so if you come across like you have your hat in your hand. Chest puffing, finger pointing keyboard tough guys don’t get a lot of help.

This is a great community, overall, and I’m proud to be a part of it and have met a lot of “invisible friends” over the years. What I see about the “vets” of this forum is we all tend to “protect it”, especially from the riff Raff scammers.

If you ever want to see a time when all unite, it’s when a poor unsuspecting soul gets scammed and posts up on it. We all truly feel bad, and all that does is make us more of a mother hen for the next time.

Stick around for a few months/years. You’ll end up the same, and it’s not anything bad, we just tend to watch out for each other.

As far as helping newbies out with their first time airgun problems? There’s a lot more help going around than one suspects, especially if the poor guy seeking help only gets a couple of responses. Like myself, and ive done it a whole lot, there’s folks that would rather assist thru a pm than just blurt out help tips on an open forum.

Lastly, the whole budget Gun thing- I think it’s fair to say that at least 60-70% of us started that way. Let’s use the Benjamin marauder as an example. A guy gets on here talking about his first pcp, the marauder, and in his excitement he asks what all can be done to it.
Then eventually someone will pipe in and say to leave it the way it is and don’t try to make it into something it wasn’t meant to be, like an FX wildcat. Sounds rude? Arrogant? He’s actually speaking from experience. I know first hand cause I dumped a lot of $$$ into mine and it doesn’t even come close to what my wildcat can do. So he’s truly helping the guy out, by telling or suggesting to him to save up for a better pcp that will do what he seeks in accuracy, power, etc.

Like I said, tons of great guys on here, and some truly sharp cats, too. I’m honored to have gotten to know some of them even outside of airgun discussions
I'm sure there are tons of guys on here that are good down to earth people. What I've seen is the guys who do come here and only have a few posts get the snippy responses. I had less than 2 dozens posts at one point and made a thread about my rifle I was going to tune for more psi fill etc and was basically told I was a moron, its your life, do what you want and so on. I almost said screw it and not come back. I've never once been treated that way on GTA.

How's someone supposed to get a foothold here if the "vets" jump all over them?

As for the OP of this thread, he was out of line to single this guy out if you ask me.

Also, I helped a member today via PM because no one was helping him figure out how to use messaging so he could get a transaction going with another member. His messaging isn't working, he can only respond IF someone PMs him.That's what we're here for.

As for budget guns and sinking money into them, im totally guilty of that 100x over. I could've had a few top tier guns by now with the money I've blown on my tinker toys. I prefer to be the under dog I guess. It's also a much easier pill to swallow buying a $300-$500 gun and slowly putting money into it and making it "yours". You also learn alot more that way. Then you don't get the posts of "Agh... my "insert stupidly expensive rifle I don't know how to work on" is leaking HELP!" You'll already know how to tear it down and reseal it and not be afraid of it.

I'm not trying to start anything with anyone, I'm simply saying there are guys who charge out the gate at new members like it's their property or something. It's really odd, I mean it's a public forum lol.

There are other Air Gun Classifieds, one in particular is fraught with scammers, we hear and see it constantly from that site. Per their rules, there is no hurdle to jump, only place an ad to sell or buy.
This Forum at least tries to mitigate the scammers by asking for the meaningful posts to at least attempt to weed out some scammers. It may help, but there are still many that find their way to scamming someone here.
Charging Forum folks is not really the way it's supposed to work either. It possibly could have been handled with a little more tact? I can only imagine that this individual had a bad experience in their past and is a little more aggressive due to that fact.
Being quick to charge is also a two-way street. You will easily learn this as time goes by.
It would be extremely helpful if you have a better idea to mitigate the scamming operators and bring that concept to this Forum. It would be greatly appreciated by all.
mike

Reactions: Struckat
There is a different tone here than the other form. I have lurked for two years and have found a wealth of helpful info.
I have purchased two HW springers and consider them my “Real” air guns. I don’t have a lot to say as I haven’t been at this but a couple years and can only share my limited experience when it it applicable to the topic.

The mission from the beginning was to buy a pcp. I bought the HW springers because the investment was perceived as less. Kept my eye on the pcp world soaking up everything I could both here and GTA.

I joined this form to share and continue to learn, but also because of the types of pcp I am interested in come up for sale more often.

I am avoiding the entry level stuff because I fear I may not have the patience to deal with the QC issues that are more frequent than on higher end stuff.

Financially, I could buy what I want and still be able to buy dog food, but I also would like to stay married. So the classifieds are the way to go for a better product with out the “New” price tag.

Ironically I found my first pcp on the other form and am waiting. The risk is all on the buyer as far as I can see. I don’t know that there is a better solution. As a buyer I looked all of the sellers posts and took the chance. He was selling several at good prices, but didn’t post much. I think that is why the guns didn’t get snapped up right away.
All I can do now it wait. He is still communicating, even after I paid. So I wait.

I like both forums as they are very different in tone.

If there was a better way to block scammers/criminals I'm sure the moderators and administrators would've figured it out and implemented it. It does suck, and I've been scammed before by websites who took my money and never delivered. Sadly PayPal didn't even get me my money back.
Every site is pretty much the same on the classifieds. It's between you and the seller/buyer and you gotta use your intuition on if it's going to be a good transaction or not. The forum owners/operators assume no liability which is a smart thing for them.
Waiting for a member to have 100 posts is a bit excessive, and having to make them start over from receiving one negative is a bit much as well. Not everyone will be happy with a transaction no matter how hard you try and please them.

I am afraid there is no better way. Some forums require more than 10 posts, but I think 100 would be too many.

MikeyMikey, I hear you. I think it’s the one or two word posts to get o 10 is what draws flies.
Thats what did it I'm sure, but until a member violates the forum rules, they shouldn't be treated as if they had.

I get them trying to protect each other from scammers. Here's the thing, if you sell something to someone and they don't pay you don't ship. That one is easy. If you buy from someone be cautious and if you feel there is a red flag because they want a F&F payment, tell them no and gladly pay the 3% for the protection. If neither want to do that, move along and find another item or seller willing to do business with you.
I've actually in the past added the fee myself and sent it via a goods and services transaction to cover my arse.

There are many tactics we now employ to deter the common scammer. Some of them are public participation requirements, many of them are on the backend.

The previous software had a lot of limitations. I'm happy to tell you that the new software is doing a phenomenal job weeding out the scammers compared to the old.

Y'all be nice to new members who are trying to build up a reputation to meet our criteria.

Thanks
-Michael

Thats what did it I'm sure, but until a member violates the forum rules, they shouldn't be treated as if they had.

I get them trying to protect each other from scammers. Here's the thing, if you sell something to someone and they don't pay you don't ship. That one is easy. If you buy from someone be cautious and if you feel there is a red flag because they want a F&F payment, tell them no and gladly pay the 3% for the protection. If neither want to do that, move along and find another item or seller willing to do business with you.
I've actually in the past added the fee myself and sent it via a goods and services transaction to cover my arse.
Yup, I just paid the 3%, but am more worried about shipping damage.
The seller sent me a photo of the post office receipt and added insurance so I am certain he is not a scammer.

Now in a week or so I can ask newb questions about pcp!!!

Yup, I just paid the 3%, but am more worried about shipping damage.
The seller sent me a photo of the post office receipt and added insurance so I am certain he is not a scammer.

Now in a week or so I can ask newb questions about pcp!!!
I, for one, will be happy to help! Lol

I agree with all that was said above, but this guy is not a spammer. He created an account and had to make 10 posts to be able to message another member to purchase an FX Impact they had for sale.

This will be his first Airgun and wanted a chance to get it before it sold and he enjoys the forum and plans to help enrich the forum in the future once he gets more knowledgeable in the sport.
That’s my situation) I mostly reader and prefer to stay away from arguing on the forums)

I think with the thumbs up/down icon I think to qualify for a legitimate 10 post that person has to have “likes”, and just one dislike would have to have him start over. This forum lately has been over run with 2-5 year old archived threads, with stupid end comments like “wow” and “cool”. Sure enough, within a couple of days, same wow and cool guy is trying to offload his AEA big bore that he realizes doesn’t work in the suburbia culdesac he lives in.

Yeah, any thumbs down would take away from that post so that person would have to start over again.
Wow!

I mean...

Cool!

I mean...

I totally understand and agree, but don't have a good solution as I don't buy/sell anything here. Nothing personal, I just don't trust anyone I don't know pretty well. (smile)

Not here, but been there, done that and burns heal slowly at my age and fixed income... (ouch...!)

Wow!

I mean...

Cool!

I mean...

I totally understand and agree, but don't have a good solution as I don't buy/sell anything here. Nothing personal, I just don't trust anyone I don't know pretty well. (smile)

Not here, but been there, done that and burns heal slowly at my age and fixed income... (ouch...!)
How more posts can be helpful? If it 200-300 posts - maybe)

How more posts can be helpful? If it 200-300 posts - maybe)
Give me YOUR solution! I don't even have a dog in this fight. I don't buy OR sell anything here, like most AGN users. (chuckle)

Personally, I think that should be left to PMs and the forum should stay as far away from it as possible. It is a legal hassle just looking for a court room.
And yet, there is no place to talk politics which affects everyone on AGN. (heavy sigh) JMHO

Last edited:
Give me YOUR solution! I don't even have a dog in this fight. I don't buy OR sell anything here, like most AGN users. (chuckle)

Personally, I think that should be left to PMs and the forum should stay as far away from it as possible. It is a legal hassle just looking for a court room.
And yet, there is no place to talk politics which affects everyone on AGN. (heavy sigh) JMHO
I new as well, but from my understanding it was supposed to be 10 meaningful post. Nice, thanks and so on shouldn't count as meaningful. Shot I'm at like post 19 or so and still can't pm, so it's not 10 on the dot, persay. This is a hard subject, as I to owned a website called rotormaddness, for rc helicopters. I didn't want to tank the site with red tape, but didn't want it to tank do to spam either. It's alot harder then it seems, I guess at the end of the day you just can't make everyone happy. You just need balance, good and bad. Hopefully more on the good then bad. This site seems to be working well, has active members on daily. Which is the goal to success for any site forum. Bravo 👏 admins and members.

Boostcreep is right we all gotta start somewhere. I'm fairly new, been in and out of it. ( Way to many hobbies.. lol.) I'm on another forum that requires 30 posts, not sure how long it will take me to get there? I normally do a search first for a topic or item that I have a question about. I'd say about 95% of the time I find the answer to my question with the search function. I did make a post and within 3 responses it totally went off topic, bummer. If you are looking to buy or sell, do your due diligence and I think you'll be ok.

Im literally currently doing this. I enjoy the info given out on this forum but honestly i dont have much to add. But i HAVE to make 10 posts in order to buy or sell. It just seems like introverts arent allowed to trade. Seems to me like a spammer/ scammer making a throw away account would have an easier time passing the barrier than somebody who actually cares about their account