What happened to the BSA lightning XL?

I don't know for sure, but you may know Gamo bought out BSA years ago. For a while the Lightnings were assembled in Spain with UK parts-then the stock design changed a bit and they were discontinued, probably they didn't sell well enough.
I had one for a while-it was accurate but mine suffered from over tightened stock screws from a previous owner, I went to snug up the forearm screw and it snapped off! Took a while to remedy that, but the stock had also been damaged from over tightening and I passed it on to buddy.

They were good guns. The original Lightning XLs were made in the UK with BSA triggers and were smaller, slimmer, and lighter than the "current" XL SEs that are made with BSA barrels and Gamo SAT-based triggers. The XL SEs seem to be still available in the UK and other countries. You can get one in .177 shipped to the US for around $450 from here: https://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/...ningxl.asp?producto=carabina-bsa-ligtningXLse
Attached is a pic of a UK XL on top and SE version on the bottom.
Have fun!

20181205_001653_resized_1.jpg

They were good guns. The original Lightning XLs were made in the UK with BSA triggers and were smaller, slimmer, and lighter than the "current" XL SEs that are made with BSA barrels and Gamo SAT-based triggers. The XL SEs seem to be still available in the UK and other countries. You can get one in .177 shipped to the US for around $450 from here: https://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/...ningxl.asp?producto=carabina-bsa-ligtningXLse
Have fun!

View attachment 302373
Wow very good looking rifles. I got myself a UK made one yesterday from my post. I’ve wanted the UK model since I was 10 and I found one for a fairly good price too ($260)

056FAD1B-E394-454D-8DE9-469753DB5C04.jpeg

Have fun!
Hey do you know where the original BSA barrels are made? The UK version I mean…is it a lothar Walther?

The BSA barrels are as good as or better than almost anything out there. BSA never developed a really good trigger like Weihrauch used for many years. BSA springer triggers are typically sufficient. But not outstanding. The later Birmingham guns (after 1985) are pretty good IMO. I own several. If I only had 5 springers they would all be Weihrauch. 6,7, and 8 would be my Tomahawks and Stingray. 9,10, and 11 would be my Mercury Challenger, Supersport, and Stutzen RB2 (just to look at). But Lol! I have way more BSA than that! 1906- more modern Birmingham.
BTW the later XL's were made in Spain. Looking almost exactly like the Brummies. I never had an XL but wouldn't mind making room for a nice one.

Yeah I heard they were extremely accurate even compared to the HW50…the early models that is. Before the gamo parts came in. Before the “SE.” Glad I was able to find one. Never letting go of it.
The SE models have BSA hammer-forged barrels and are every bit as accurate as the UK models in my experience - having owned 5 UK Supersport/Lightning/XLs and 5 SE Supersport/XLs.

The SE models are a million times easier to work on and the SE Gamo triggers are easier to get a light, crisp break (at the expense of sear engagement.) As someone who likes to work on my own airguns, I consider the modular SE design to be an improvement, but the UK guns are nostalgic classics so are more desirable.

The new Meteor Super looks like it will be a fine performer and possibly the best iteration yet of modern BSA springers. But if it's going to beat the HW50, it's going to have to do it by pricing because although accuracy and velocity may be in the same class, the HW trigger, sights, and lack of plastic trim are in a league above (It looks like the Meteor Super has the same Gamo SAT trigger as the SE guns.)

Reactions: Maizen
The SE models have BSA hammer-forged barrels and are every bit as accurate as the UK models in my experience - having owned 5 UK Supersport/Lightning/XLs and 5 SE Supersport/XLs.

The SE models are a million times easier to work on and the SE Gamo triggers are easier to get a light, crisp break (at the expense of sear engagement.) As someone who likes to work on my own airguns, I consider the modular SE design to be an improvement, but the UK guns are nostalgic classics so are more desirable.

The new Meteor Super looks like it will be a fine performer and possibly the best iteration yet of modern BSA springers. But if it's going to beat the HW50, it's going to have to do it by pricing because although accuracy and velocity may be in the same class, the HW trigger, sights, and lack of plastic trim are in a league above (It looks like the Meteor Super has the same Gamo SAT trigger as the SE guns.)
Got mine.

image.jpg

Nice gun. I'm curious what you find comparing the two. What caliber is the SE?
I’m not sure if this is an SE. You can tell by the trigger guard. It’s a .177 cal. Putting out 12.9-13 foot pounds of energy with the 8.4 grain JSBs. 830-835 FPS. Cocking is pretty good. Not crunchy. No whining noises. Barrel locking mechanism is very good. Honestly I like the barrel locking better than the Weihrauch‘s. What I don’t like is the breech seal…it’s very thin. I’ll check accuracy this Wednesday.

The stock is very nice.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if this is an SE. You can tell by the trigger guard. It’s a .177 cal. Putting out 12.9-13 foot pounds of energy with the 8.4 grain JSBs. 830-835 FPS. Cocking is pretty good. Not crunchy. No whining noises. Barrel locking mechanism is very good. Honestly I like the barrel locking better than the Weihrauch‘s. What I don’t like is the breech seal…it’s very thin. I’ll check accuracy this Wednesday.

The stock is very nice.
Oh I misunderstood and should have looked closer at the pic. You meant you received the UK XL. It is a beautiful rifle!

My .177 UK XL makes a little bit under 12 fpe and loves JSB RS. The issue with the pivot is if you shoot it a lot it can develop a little side play at the receiver forks and you can't just tighten a pivot screw to get rid of it. There are other ways to deal with it, though, and it doesn't necessarily happen to every gun.
Enjoy that rifle!

Reactions: Maizen