What Happened To Discovery Scopes?

Great question — Great thread....

Discovery scopes were the goto for airgunners for inexpensive yet quality optics.

A couple of years ago they renamed Discoveryopt.

And then they started to ignore airgunners.... 😞

Because they discontinued most of their scopes — almost all of them with min. 10y parallax.

➠ And the new scopes they offer usually have 25y parallax (some 20y). ⚠️
The scopes they offer seem nice, and they have great features, even improving on their former offerings.

🔺But I'm an airgunner, and I need my gun to shoot close range and be in focus, because urban backyards, garages, and farm buildings often require 10y shots. For scope-caming a deal breaker.

🔶 I had been recommending Discovery for a good while now — but for me
➧➧ Vector Optics ✅
has taken Discovery's place. Their Continental line has great features and specs. And they still offer budget scopes.
Store:
Manufacturer:

🔶 WestHunter seems to be in process of establishing itself like several years ago Discovery and Vector. Their offering is much more limited, and their rapid changing of models is confusing.

Matthias

Reactions: Danoh
Appears Wes no longer does since he doesn't even have a Scope category on his website anymore. The one I do have and mounted on my Flashpup .25 came from him.
Could try Airgun Optics Plus although I haven't looked at his site in quite awhile:
Good lot of scopes anymore are made in China for whatever company that wants something and signed a deal.

Reactions: RAMJET66
Scope's have evolved and came a long ways in the past two decades. Moreso in the past ten years really. A vast majority of scopes are made in a limited number of factories around the globe. And while those factories have their own brands, they also make scopes for all of the big box store selling manufacturers like Vortex and Bushnell. These scope factories may be producing original brands like Discovery or what have you, or contracted to be built by these same factory workers to certain specs, like Element and other brands do.

How it's done: With capitol or several investors, create a new scope company on paper, put together a list of particular wants and demands for a scope (per the demands of the market/use), and simply negotiate a contract and price per unit with a factory around the globe that had the ability to build them (to your specs). Easy peasy.

Here's just a few of said factory over in China. There's other's in Japan and the Philippines where by you could do the same.

Reactions: boscoebrea
Great question — Great thread....

Discovery scopes were the goto for airgunners for inexpensive yet quality optics.

A couple of years ago they renamed Discoveryopt.

And then they started to ignore airgunners.... 😞

Because they discontinued most of their scopes — almost all of them with min. 10y parallax.

➠ And the new scopes they offer usually have 25y parallax (some 20y). ⚠️
The scopes they offer seem nice, and they have great features, even improving on their former offerings.

🔺But I'm an airgunner, and I need my gun to shoot close range and be in focus, because urban backyards, garages, and farm buildings often require 10y shots. For scope-caming a deal breaker.

🔶 I had been recommending Discovery for a good while now — but for me
➧➧ Vector Optics ✅
has taken Discovery's place. Their Continental line has great features and specs. And they still offer budget scopes.
Store:
Manufacturer:

🔶 WestHunter seems to be in process of establishing itself like several years ago Discovery and Vector. Their offering is much more limited, and their rapid changing of models is confusing.

Matthias

I photograph for Vector, and they send me pretty much anything I want from their lineup. I've got Constantine, Continental, Veyron, Frenzy, Scrapper.

Now the straight up honest truth. They good scopes for the money, never had an issues with a scope, not a huge fan of the LPVO they sent me, more a feel issue for me, their dots are great, until you drop them. I've had conversations with them about the durability of their red dots. This year they're beefing up their frames finally.

https://amzn.to/3RZcGsj - their amazon lineup.

Here's one of my photos on their 2024 calendar cover.

2024 calendar original-840.jpg

I photograph for Vector, and they send me pretty much anything I want from their lineup. I've got Constantine, Continental, Veyron, Frenzy, Scrapper.

Now the straight up honest truth. They good scopes for the money, never had an issues with a scope, not a huge fan of the LPVO they sent me, more a feel issue for me, their dots are great, until you drop them. I've had conversations with them about the durability of their red dots. This year they're beefing up their frames finally.

https://amzn.to/3RZcGsj - their amazon lineup.

Here's one of my photos on their 2024 calendar cover.

View attachment 419643

That is so cool! You photograph for Vector Optics! 👍🏼

Matthias

When you make scopes for everyone else, when do you have time to make scopes for yourself?
It's not making one for yourself it's time to swap brand labels and box it goes in .. heck probably they make enough money off other branding runs no need to brand there own stuff. Just collect there cut..

Discovery did have a nice 8x and a 10x straight power scopes that did not bust your bilfold ..