• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What Handpump

Hill Pump MK4! There’s less expensive ones out there but this ones probably the top performer.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Venturi_MK4_Kit_by_Hill_Hand_Pump_Up_to_4500_PSI/5501

1560344929_5844847165d00f961a52752.91932094_D9DA907B-2CDB-4AC9-8FE8-E2802377C4C5.jpeg

I've owned and used several pumps:

Hill
Benjamin
Flying Dragon (same as Air Venturi G6)
Barska / Winbest
No-name pump from Aliexpress

And they're all about the same. By that I mean they all do the job but they also all have O-rings that are subject to wear and will eventually need to be opened up and serviced. The only one that I've been dissatisfied with is the Benjamin...no O-ring material or durometer will last for very long on the inner (high pressure) rod.

Hill is considered the gold standard or at least it was 5+ years ago. For a while, just about the only pumps people had were Benjamin or Hill. Given the spotty track record of the Benjamin, Hill won by default. However having used several of the Chinese pumps extensively for years, there is no way I could in good conscience recommend the Hill for $200 when a $40 pump is 95% as good.

I have been using hand pump for several years until I got a .22 Huben K1 which takes 4500 psi and a gives a shot count of only 20 under high power setting. I have subsequently replaced the pump with a Yong Heng and have been happy so far. The cost is just the same as a Hill pump so it's a no brainer for me. 

I really don't need perfect reliability as it is not supplying the air I breath but just to my toys. The construction of the compressor is simple enough for me to fix it should any problems come up ( none so far ). Spare parts are available at extremely low cost so I am perfectly comfortable with it. 

I bought the Hill MK4 Pump at the same time I purchased my ImpactX. And as the guy at the store told me, I'd be back for a compressor and tank. He was right -- about three months later I'd tired of pumping the total of 250 or so strokes and waiting for the pump to cool after every 60 or 70 strokes so as not to melt the O-rings with the intense heat. Not difficult to pump but took way too long! Otherwise, hand pump was good but the compressor charging one large air tank gets me at least Ten fills to 250 Bar on my ImpactX before having to top-off the air tank again. Much, much more convenient!! I've got the hand pump just in case and I'll probably never need it as the compressor is very high quality. Save money in the long run... Skip the hand pump and just get the compressor now.

I'd recommend the Hill and the FX hand pumps. I've been using both for years without issue. I did try an Airforce pump but that was terrible and returned it. Until there is a small stand alone compressor with a terrific reliability record, I am sticking with the hand pumps.

I agree With you. Hill and FX hand pumps are the way to go. 

Hill pump to me is the absolute best with respect to knowing that I have a hand pump if I use all the air in the 2 tanks I have, which btw has never happened.

Those made in China compressors seem to require more work than I personally want to put in to them, when I can simply just take my tanks to any of the hundreds of dive shops in CA for a fill.

You can grab a used SCBA tank off Ebay and a fill station for $150 or so.

Here's good reading on that-

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/low-cost-carbon-fiber-tank-option/