• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

What gun will shoot 1 hole groups at 50 yards?

"chasdicapua"Nate, if you are just shooting targets and not hunting, I would go with a .25 cal instead of a .30. The JSB .25 heavies are a great pellet. Some would say that due to its higher BC, the .25 heavies are just as good in the wind as the .30 pellets. You get twice as many per dollar and much less air used in a .25 as well. One just doesn't need 45 grains of lead to punch a hole in a piece of paper. I had an FX Boss once and sold it to get a Royale 500 for percisely this reason. Just something to think about. Oh, IMHO, if you want the best .25 rifle out there for target shooting, get the RAW.
Amen Chas, Ted's latest group videos has me feeling great with my .25 Raw

at 30 yards my raw does it all day long out doors. group after group after group. and most 5 shot groups look like 2 or 3 pellets passed through the hole.
​this is with unsorted pellets and unweighed and unsized.
accuracy is that good its boringly good. and this is just a 177 raw with thimble.
​i haven't done no 50 yard groups yes just 30 and 100 and 125.
let me say that this raw at 125 yards is amazing.

"chasdicapua"Nate, if you are just shooting targets and not hunting, I would go with a .25 cal instead of a .30. The JSB .25 heavies are a great pellet. Some would say that due to its higher BC, the .25 heavies are just as good in the wind as the .30 pellets. You get twice as many per dollar and much less air used in a .25 as well. One just doesn't need 45 grains of lead to punch a hole in a piece of paper. I had an FX Boss once and sold it to get a Royale 500 for percisely this reason. Just something to think about. Oh, IMHO, if you want the best .25 rifle out there for target shooting, get the RAW.
Keep in mind that JSB has redesigned their 25cal, 22cal, and now the 17cal, don't be surprised to see the 30cal get the same treatment, which will likely result in some wonderful BC numbers. Wouldn't be surprised to see a polygon 30cal barrel sooner or later too.

In my personal experience, all FX SmoothTwist's, BSA, and Air Arms rifles shoot one hole groups at that distance in .22 or above calibers. But test them for the right pellets (brand, head size, weight) and be sure your shooting technique is consistent. Tuning a rifle also helps, but your shooting technique is probably (next to the right ammo) the most important part.

I know it's been said, but it's worth repeating. All the top air rifles will shoot sub MOA (one ragged hole) at 50 yards.... with the right shooter. The interplay between your finger and the trigger, how "tightly or loosely you hold the rifle" and precise repeatability in how these things are carried out all come into play. True, no one can shoot Sub MOA groups at 50 yards with a $79 springer from WMart. But shooters with varying degrees of skill will have different results with the best rifles. 

Was just at a Bench Rest match today and I'm just always amazed at what the slightest change in ones hold and relationship to the trigger will do. Difference between an X, a 10, or even a 9.