• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What gun will shoot 1 hole groups at 50 yards?

This is 50y group made with my Vulcan Tactic .25. 1/2in but very respectable for a 9 shoots.
08c1b9207b410daf4f3e09ed58cd27bc.jpg

I was wondering if possibly no air gun would do 1 hole groups at 50 yards. I can get 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with my Steyr .22 PCP and I've only had it a week so I guess I'll stick with that for a while. Thinking of a FX Crown next in .30 caliber. I only shoot targets, I don't hunt. so I'm searching for the most accurate gun out there. Another gun I considered was the Ataman M2r Tactical Version. I bought one for $1945 last week but when it arrived it have a scratch on it so I returned it..never got to try it. ...not sure if I'm going to re-order one....

Nate what you are looking for is what most that shoot for accuracy call "bench rest accuracy". Two that I know first hand will do it are the RAW and the ThomasAir. There are likely others as well. Mike (the maker of Thomas) had a long run "hole in hole" post on the ThomasAir FB page if you need to see it for yourself. I'm sure there are RAW shooters that have pictures too. Personally the only time I'm ever shooting groups is when I'm working on something and just shooting the same spot over and over, aka the POI doesn't matter for what I'm working on.

Now here's the kicker... Many of the higher end PCP/regulated airguns are very capable of hole in hole over long runs indoors out of the wind. It's everything else that comes into play, like wind and pellets that will make a very accurate gun "not so much". The range doesn't much matter either, inside out of the wind a bench rest accurate rifle will "hole in hole" anywhere from 10m to 100m.

If you have the expectation to "hole in hole" outside in the wind, the short answer is no guns are capable.

As others have said, its hard to differentiate between the gun and the shooter when there is variance in a group. You also have to define how many shots make a "group", and what exactly "hole-in-hole" means. Do you mean putting X number in shots perfectly in the same hole with no variance? Or is some variance allowed for your hypothetical group to be considered hole-in hole?

At about the 12:20 mark you'll see a true hole in hole group. 10 shots at either 20 or 25 yards (its been a few years so I don't remember). Not the range you're looking for, but just an example.

Then in the first few minutes of this clip, you'll see my .30 Flex do 7 shots at 50 yards. The first 2 shots go hole in hole perfectly, as do the last three, but there is variance between the two groups, making an overall group about the size of a dime, which is no small feet for a .30 at 50 yards. I'm also shooting in the rain. So does that tell you anything about what the gun might be capable of at 50 yards in hands better than mine and in better conditions?

Bullfrog, Thanks for your input. To clarify, I would define my one hole groups as any "ragged hole" group. That's what I'm looking for..so 1/4-3/8 ragged hole with no flyers in 5 shot (at 50 yds) would be perfection to me. I'm going to get .30 cal Crown and leave it at factory tune settings. I only shoot JSB pellets anyway and I heard FX designed thier barrels around them. Hopefully they tuned the Crown at the factory for JSB's. Thanks for the videos Bullfrog! -Nate M

Nate, if you are just shooting targets and not hunting, I would go with a .25 cal instead of a .30. The JSB .25 heavies are a great pellet. Some would say that due to its higher BC, the .25 heavies are just as good in the wind as the .30 pellets. You get twice as many per dollar and much less air used in a .25 as well. One just doesn't need 45 grains of lead to punch a hole in a piece of paper. I had an FX Boss once and sold it to get a Royale 500 for percisely this reason. Just something to think about. Oh, IMHO, if you want the best .25 rifle out there for target shooting, get the RAW.