• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What got you started?

Never had an airgun as a kid, wanted one but was forced to be content with shooting a friends occasionally. Didn't even know what I was missing. At 13 or 14 I got my dads Marksman bb/dart pistol and soon after traded something for a friends Gat gun.
Both are unfortunately long gone.

In my late 20s I bought a Crosman SSP 250 for just because, and to take care of a rat problem but still didn't know about adult air guns.

Got my first almost 7 years ago and it has been downhill ever since.
Gotta go, my new Vector Veyron scope just arrived.;)

Reactions: BABz58
How did you end up beginning this hobby? Squirrels raiding the family bird feeder? Target shooting and powder was too costly? What other reason?
Hunting,.....Been bowhunting for several years but because of the vegetation here the chance to lose a dead boar is very likely ( If you shoot a hog and there's elephant grass nearby most likely you will never be able to find it ) also several times I got as close as 10 yards from a boar but could not take the shot because of the sheer number of saplings in the way.

Airguns gave me the chance of the precise brain shot that will drop them on the spot or threading the needle through saplings making a huge overall difference.

As a kid my first pump Sheridan was given to me to teach me gun safety by my dad.
As an adult my wife and I built a house and I had built some wooden structures in the yard. Kids playground and swings and a large shade Arbor up by my pool. Squirrels were chewing them all to pieces so I bought my first BSA lightning for squirrel control. I would never part with it, I still love it.
And now the hobby is out of control:)

View attachment 20240423_175454.jpg

Reactions: JakeRico
what got me started?? Well I bought a farm house on 28 acres and wife and I decided to get chickens. I built this massive allabrith hen house with a 20 foot run. We raised 12 chickens and 2 weeks after I put them in the hen house something tore in a took them all. So I said I need a decent pellet gun to keep by my back door to knock off whatever got in there . Then on my internet search of high powered pellet guns I discovered PCP's. And then I jumped with both feet into the rabbit hole and been absolutely hooked. I shoot almost every day now honing in my skills as a shooter. Being able to duplicate or make more power then 22lr is such a rewarding feeling . Happy shooting folks

Well ,I got started just as Covid started. Couldn’t go anywhere but work, so needed something to do around the house. Started with a DAR Gen 2. Bought a 3L Acecare tank and a hand pump. That didn’t cut it…lol So I got a Yong heng and a Acecare 6.8l tank. Haven’t done anything but shoot, buh tanks,compressors and guns.Thousands of pellets in .177cal to 35cal. Haven’t looked back. People ask why I have so many guns,and I tell then to buzz off😉😂Plus they Al shoot differently and different ammo. The sound of a .25cal or hgher piece o lead striking steel relaxe me. When I shoot I usually g through 2-300 rounds of various rounds. Nothing like it.And when you hit what you an aiming at, it just sheer bliss. So relaxing. I usually go through 3 airtanks before in do..Happy to have found this sport and the great people on this forum..

Squirrels terorizing and eating my young chickens food. Started up with a cheap BB hand gun, and the
squirrels would just run away for as long as am there, and laugh from the tree. So got a under 500
Crosman and that was a game changer. Killed and hurt a few, now they are not coming anymore.
But since got the gun here, made a target trap and shoot every day, trying to improve. Modified the
gun a bit, but still long ways to go. Think shortly will invest in a better toy, maybe a Gamo swarm. Lots of fun.
Just wish them squirrels would come back...

Squirrels terorizing and eating my young chickens food. Started up with a cheap BB hand gun, and the
squirrels would just run away for as long as am there, and laugh from the tree. So got a under 500
Crosman and that was a game changer. Killed and hurt a few, now they are not coming anymore.
But since got the gun here, made a target trap and shoot every day, trying to improve. Modified the
gun a bit, but still long ways to go. Think shortly will invest in a better toy, maybe a Gamo swarm. Lots of fun.
Just wish them squirrels would come back...
Bet you would love one. I have a single shot Gamo that I really enjoy shooting.

My back hard was nice, clover free, full of grass. Last two years, I've noticed 3-5 rabbits consistently in my backyard. Never thought much of it until my neighbor mentioned that it's the rabbits eating, pooping, and taking a piss in my yard causing crazy amounts of clovers, dead spots, and open dead grass dirt patches on my grass. Also they've been eating my greens in my garden. I said to myself 2 months ago, "It's time for them to go bye-bye". I shot 1 so far. I haven't seen them much but when I do they run away now. They've become wary of me and any sounds I make opening windows and doors.

• Haha
Bought a house with a great backyard for shooting - air rifles, not powder burners.

My Dad belonged to two local gun clubs and had a property with a house that he rented to a gun club buddy - he had a shooting range on that property as well. So we shot powder burners but not air rifles.

Before he passed, I showed him one of my air rifles and some targets shot at 30 and 40 yards. He was impressed and I’d have loved to have him try a PCP, but by then the arthritis had crippled his hands too much. He was a good trap shooter and we hunted together. He bought me my first rifle - a 12 gauge when I was 12, lol.

AGN is not the place for Political tribalism.
***Political content removed****. I was afraid that first summer they would shut down the summer outdoor powder burner benchrest matches but figured I could play with an airgun in the yard. I had no interest in pcps but liked the idea of trying to learn to master a spring gun. The rest is history. Great sport with some good people involved. I found a local spring gun benchrest match and then started another myself and am having a great time. A TX200, Diana 54, and 2 Diana 75s later, I am having a blast.

Last edited by a moderator: