• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What got you started?

Chipmunks........ soooooo many chipmunks! That was back several years ago (and rifles and $$$ ago)! First "season" I kept a count of 35+ confirmed kills (only bodies)... numerous hits that made into a burrow and likely died - uncounted. Last season I shot 8.... so the thinning has worked, and have not seen 1 yet this year..... but it's still early. :)

I've hunted with firearms since I was a kid, 29 years in LE and liked to shoot at our in house range once or twice a week. Retired and living in Chicago suburbs it's hard to shoot. Plus it isn't cheap. I saw some video's on YT of iguana hunting in Florida and it caught my eye. I can also shoot air rifles in my backyard at low cost and my neighbors could care less. Now they ask me to eliminate their pests too.
I started with a cheap Hatsan that I bought off this site, loved the low cost of shooting, hated that rifle.
Many $$'s and a few years later and I've been thoroughly sucked in.

Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
Did shoot as a child 15 - 50 M with rimfire and then in the end also 200 M with what felt like a cannon ( 7.92 mm ) for a kid that was 11-12 years old.
No influence from family or relatives, only even know on 1 hunter in the family.
But solo sports always interested me, also sports with a accuracy factor in them, so have played Billiards - Darts ASO.
Also Cycled many 10.000 KM, enough for a few circles around the Equator i am sure, good way to get away from people.

Never had a air rifle / BB gun as a child, that was pretty uncommon i recon for Danes in the 70ties, i did myself make a few slingshots, and bows, and at one point my father made a nice crossbow for me, though not terrible powerful.
Crossbows always been a big NO - NO in Denmark, but hey my father was a commie and rules dont apply to them it seem. :)

I like to be alone i figure, CUZ i am knocking on 60 YO and last time i had a GF i was 17, far too preoccupied with making #1 happy, so no need to engage in projects doomed from day #1

I can shoot with other people just fine, but i would not engage in competition as such, CUZ all my life in any sport, the element of competition instantly knock 25 % of my performance for some reason.

been shooting Air Guns since I was little, but I got tired of the cheap plastic stuff they were putting out and bought a Sheridan, that was my main go to gun for decades, but when I seen a Night vision Ratting video on Youtube about 15 years ago, the guy was shooting a Weihrauch HW100, picking off Rats so easily and with a multi shot magazine and a pressurized air cylinder, that got me really into Air Guns again, I didn't know about PCP's back then, the technology was still in it's infancy, so I checked the internet and found PA, and bought my first PCP, it was a Umarex Walther 1200 Dominator in .177, I was amazed at the accuracy, but it was loud, no moderator, then I bought a Marauder .22, it was quiet and accurate, I still have it, after that I got enough money to buy a HW100 in .20cal, Oh yeah this was the hot ticket, Quiet, side lever cocking, 14 shot Magazine, it killed Lots of Rats, ground Squirrels and a few Possums and from there I fell into the Rabbit hole to the Darkside and never left.......:cool:

Reactions: .20calguy
I started as a kid shooting mice and rats in a barn with a pump action BB gun. Shot plenty of red squirrels trying to live in my log cabin as an adult with my dad's old 10 pump Daisy. And yeah I know no shooting inside but this was war, I took precautions. I also won that battle.
Finally moved halfway across the country and needed something a little more powerful to deal with all the grey squirrels in my fruit trees!
Hopefully my airgun collection doesn't eclipse my Pb collection... :ROFLMAO: :LOL::oops:

been shooting Air Guns since I was little, but I got tired of the cheap plastic stuff they were putting out and bought a Sheridan, that was my main go to gun for decades, but when I seen a Night vision Ratting video on Youtube about 15 years ago, the guy was shooting a Weihrauch HW100, picking off Rats so easily and with a multi shot magazine and a pressurized air cylinder, that got me really into Air Guns again, I didn't know about PCP's back then, the technology was still in it's infancy, so I checked the internet and found PA, and bought my first PCP, it was a Umarex Walther 1200 Dominator in .177, I was amazed at the accuracy, but it was loud, no moderator, then I bought a Marauder .22, it was quiet and accurate, I still have it, after that I got enough money to buy a HW100 in .20cal, Oh yeah this was the hot ticket, Quiet, side lever cocking, 14 shot Magazine, it killed Lots of Rats, ground Squirrels and a few Possums and from there I fell into the Rabbit hole to the Darkside and never left.......:cool:
I need d to give you my address so you know where to send that HW100. 😆
I wasn't aware that an HW100 in .20 was ever available.

Reactions: KatoKevin454
First, seeing a Daisy Model 1894 Spittin' Image ad in a comic book. Then, actually getting one. :)

DaisySpittinImageAd.jpg

• Love
Reactions: BABz58
Years ago the price of 22lr ammo skyrocketed when the availability plummeted due to hoarding. The price of Firearm ammo and reloading components and supplies also increased in price and decreased in availability. Some of that has carried on today.

"Guns" have always been a major hobby. So I bought my first air rifle because ammo for my powderburners had gotten too expensive. First a Crosman Genesis Np .22 then a Benjamin Prowler, then a few Hatsan refurbished rifles where I learned to tune springers, then some Chinese clones, etc. Then finally acquiring the much much higher quality springers, i.e. Diana and Weihrauch springers. I still shoot my firearms but I'm hooked with springers. PCP rifles were never appealing to me, to me the skill level to shoot a Springer well is much higher than shooting a PCP.