• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What Goes Where and Why? And How Much is Too Much?

Black tar. Clear tar. Moly paste. Tune in a Tube. Krytox. Probably another 20 I haven’t heard of. I’ve pretty much decided against the use of black tar on my springs in favor of moly. And I assume moly for ARH or Vortek piston seal. ARH recommended using clear tar for the cocking lever pivots and OD of compression tube on side levers. Just wondering what y’all use where that’s worked for you in your springers. And with all this talk of dieseling and detonation, how much is too much? If you take a factory Weihrauch apart how do you decide it’s been over lubed? Should there just be a very thin film on anything that’s been lubed? Thanks.

Reactions: survivor45
that gooey tar on the spring is probably the most important part .. a good polish and tame that spring and the rest of the lubes are optional lol .. but moly is ok .. look at it more as a metal 'treatment' than a lube .. rub it in well then buff most of it out .. use nothing on the treated surface that will act as a solvent and remove it out of the pores of the metal ..

Last edited:
Exactly what I’m talking about LOL. So many opinions, and from good people, not knuckleheads. I see people that say they quit using black tar because it causes FPS loss and POI shift when temperature changes. Saw a Tom Gaylord video where he said use it liberally. You obviously like it. Some people swear by moly. Others say they went to Krytox and never looked back! I’m just trying to see what the pros and cons are before I pull one of these apart. I have an old Winchester 600 that needs a reseal and is going to be the Guinea pig so I have some skooling when one of the Frauleins needs attention.

Opinions on this will vary per nearly every person you ask. (And some people will get very upset over the topic as well) I prefer to use no tar at all on the spring. Or any where else for that matter. It can change your rifles performance with temperature and it's messy among other things. I don't want that stuff being slung all inside my rifle. A good quality moly paste like what can be found at ARH is all I use on the spring. I may apply a very lite film of moly around the outside of the piston seal as well. Maybe not....depends. And as far as taking a factory Weihrauch apart......they are notorious for having the nastiest goop you've ever seen slathered all over the spring. From the factory, they are generally pretty dirty inside to be honest. There are different ways to go about it, all depending on what you want to do. Factory spring, guide, seal, etc or a drop in spring kit. Which route you take will determine what else you really should do to get the performance and shot cycle you want out of it.

This is what worked for me. I had a problem with dieseling which was caused by the Weihrauch factory using inexperienced folks due to the China Virus. I installed an ARH kit with a Vortek piston seal after a through clean/polish and I used GPL-205, Krytox, lube. This fixed the dieseling problem and the rifle is accurate at about 17 FPE using FTT 14.66 gr 5.53 mm pellets.

Reactions: Struckat