• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What gets your vote for best value bullpup or semi-bullpup?

lyp

h
emus21Well, I don't own one just yet. I have a Kral Puncher Breaker on order. It had a lot of features for the buck and I happen to like the looks of it. I have heard of a few issues with brittle valve stems on this model but I think those were more early-on. I have mine actually ordered through a tuner who replaces the defective valves with higher quality ones during the custom tuning process. Kinda defeats the whole, bang for the buck idea as I am spending perhaps an extra $200 but I think it will be worth it long term.
It really doesn't defeat the purpose, it just means your gun will be working correctly from day one.

I bought my Kral tuned and couldn't be happier. Even tuned it comes in at a price that is very reasonable and its performance is better, much better than stock actually.

However I picked up a SPA P-12 that I think ROI wise dollar for dollar is hard to beat. I got it for 1/3 of the price of my Kral. It has to be one of the easiest platforms to work on. Adjusting the hammer spring couldn't be easier or changing out springs to get more power. It can touch 50fpe easily by dropping in a different spring. Opening up to add a depinger and replace orings with better ones was so easy couldn't believe I was finished as quickly as I did.

Pound for Pound the P-12 is worth consideration or the P-15 if you have to have a magazine.

Thank you for bringing the Kozak to my attention shutik - it's beautiful, and seems like quite an attractive option at $800. What do you mean when you say it is air inefficient? The website says it gets 60 shots in .22, but I'm generally skeptical of the stats that manufacturers provide. Is it quiet?

And kkarmical, where did you get your SPA?

1524532894_19253420095ade869e8e7264.92600231_IMG_1278.JPG

I picked it up from a member I really like this gun.

Thank you for all your replies.

At the current moment, it seems there are two main paths to go down - midrange or high-end.

If I go for a midrange bullpup, a Kral is likely my best bet. They have some semi-bullpups up on their website that I can't find any information on, but I hope they will be available soon. They're gorgeous. All the same, a good deal on an SPA 15 would be hard to pass up - the issue is that they're harder to get a hold of.

If I decide to go for something at the high end of what I would call midrange, a Compatto or Bantam would likely be the best choice. However, I am quite interested in the Kozak, and I do prefer the way it looks to either of the Brocock rifles. If it becomes easier to get I'd go for it. I appreciate the position of the cocking lever, the ergonomic design, shot count, and accuracy. Given what I have been able to find it also seems pretty quiet. If it retails new at $800, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect to see one going for $500 on the secondary market some day. Really beautiful rifle.

However, if I decide to go high-end, it is hard to argue with the Taipan, especially the shorty. After quite a bit of digging I am unable to find a single negative comment on these rifles outside of their ugly appearance, which is hardly enough to dissuade me. The taipan veteran line hits all the points for me - compact, quiet, powerful, air efficient, and reliable. The only thing that seems like it could be annoying is how far back the lever is, but that's an issue with most bullpups, and is hardly enough to detract from it's excellent value.

The issue is that people tend to hold onto the guns I'm most interested in, probably because of all their winning qualities. Consequently, they're much less likely to show up on the secondary market. I could be hawkishly patrolling the classifieds for years at this rate x_x

I think this is subjective.

You question can only be answered by someone who has actually experienced all that is out there. We all own a certain gun; and at a certain point must believe in some way that it one of the best out there, or we wouldn't own it.
The one key thing about most bullpups is the location of the cocking lever. Since I'm left handed I can't stand having the lever in my ear while I'm shooting. (But that's just me)
The MKII seems to have addressed that issue. (I'm sure it wasn't intentional) to please lefthanded people.

My perfect Bullpup would be a .22 cal. gun that can be adjusted from 12fpe to 38fpe and shoots buttery smooth. And is quieter than a mouse's fart. (Yeah that might be asking too much) But without shooting most of the bullpups out there, and If I had to guess? I'd say the Daystate would probably be the closest to meeting what I'm looking for.

My point is that there are many great options out there! You need to figure out what is important to you and then search for the right gun for you!

Good Luck!

"Choogly"Thank you for bringing the Kozak to my attention shutik - it's beautiful, and seems like quite an attractive option at $800. What do you mean when you say it is air inefficient? The website says it gets 60 shots in .22, but I'm generally skeptical of the stats that manufacturers provide. Is it quiet?
And kkarmical, where did you get your SPA?
2017 version that I have does have hammer bounce, which needs to be solved. With it, efficiency is at about 0.7 FPE/cuin.

I would say actual number of shots is little less than advertised. It gets so many because you can fill it to 300 bar.

I know Joe Broncato is official importer of these and when I spoke with him he said he will do the mod for hammer bounce on guns purchased from him.

It has moderator and it reduces report quiet abit, but not as quiet as higher end.

Might want to look at aoa and grab a compatto 22....yup it doesnt have a huge shot count but it's so dam accurate . At $699 it's a decent deal plus great trigger/barrel. Mine came with a huggett so it's not loud but you can decide on that part because at 699 I don't think any ldc . PS ...mine can do 1/4 inch 10 shot groups at 47 yards no wind 

Although there are clearly more accurate bullpups, I will toss in an alternative. It looks like most people are listing .177 to .25 caliber bullpups. I already have a very accurate .25 caliber air rifle. My Bull-type is 0.357 caliber, and deer legal in Arizona. The Benjamin Bulldog. With the large caliber it does not have much of a shot count, but it fulfills the mission of being my only deer legal air rifle.
1524633353_13969242685ae00f091eb105.37942155_Bulldog with level left side.jpg

I have the Kozak 22 compact, turned the reg down to 110 -115 bar, shorten the hammer spring, 16gr AA 60 shots @ 770fps
​can do 1/2" group at 45yd. A little louder than I liked so I had a friend with a lathe drill and tap the baffle set to take the 1/2-20 male to male adaptor from Donnyfl and added a Rocker shorty
​I had to drill a vent hole in the under side of the receiver to vent the area in front of the hammer, to cure a hammer bounce issue that ​was breaking the magazine advance linkage.
​Hopefully the factory does that modification now ( they are the ones that showed me the fix)
I debated between this and the brocock, I like the open magazine of the Kozak better, over the enclosed wind up brocock mag.
​And my P-15 does not compare with Kozak's build quality
​If taipan made a mini carbine like the mini cricket, It would be the cat's meow