• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What gets your vote for best value bullpup or semi-bullpup?

Well, I don't own one just yet. I have a Kral Puncher Breaker on order. It had a lot of features for the buck and I happen to like the looks of it. I have heard of a few issues with brittle valve stems on this model but I think those were more early-on. I have mine actually ordered through a tuner who replaces the defective valves with higher quality ones during the custom tuning process. Kinda defeats the whole, bang for the buck idea as I am spending perhaps an extra $200 but I think it will be worth it long term.

These accurate little gems...
1524461493_17327495955add6fb556f8f4.67381307_20180318_155517_1.jpg

I have the Kral Puncher Breaker and haven't had any major issues with mine. Iv'e shot over a thousand rounds through it so far. It will shoot 1/4" groups at 30 yards and 3/4" groups at 50 yards. I haven't had any problems with the probe on mine. They have fixed that problem. The cocking lever is now ,as smooth as glass. This is the best little bullpup on the market for the price. I had to replace an oring on the air guage. The fault was mine, from taking it apart so many times. I put a Lane regulator in it and was putting it in and out to adjust it. I finally removed ,because you don't need the thing in the Kral.. I adjusted the dial to shoot JSB 18.15 at 810fps amd I'm getting 48 shots before the velocity drops. I don't think you can beat this rifle for its low price point. I shoot it more than my Daystate Regal.

Brocock Bantam HiLite in .177 or .22. Currently $899 and will probably go less once the new regulated models are available. Lightweight, accurate, good shot count, easy to shoot off hand. The thing is, especially in .177, it doesn’t need a regulator. Gets 90 shots with an ES of under 20 from 220 to 150 bar. 

Unless someone has owned the vast majority of the ever increasing array of models out there, it's going to be more of, "what gun did I decide to buy and why" rather than an evaluation of value.

That, your budget will determine. :)

It depends on what level of:
A - Accuracy at what distance you will be shooting,
B - Shot count per fill
C - Power.
D- Quality 

The more of the above you want/need the more expensive the gun. duh.....

A- 100 yard groups of sub 2"? That's costly. Will 1" groups at 50 yards work? That's fairly typical of most PCP's on the market today

B- Caliber will ultimately determine shot count everything else being a constant. And a regulated gun increases the price whether it's pre-installed or purchased later and installed. 

C- Again, Caliber ultimately determines power but are you are wanting to harvest predators or just enjoy punching paper? 

D - Do you want a match grade trigger? Machined and not cast parts? A company that has someone who quickly responds when you have questions or a problem? Do you want to just buy the gun and not have packages delivered every other day with the latest upgrade? Maybe just parts and labor if needed.

I'll be curious to know what you decide on and why. Keep us posted. 

The only models I can speak about that I have experience with is the brocock compatto in 22 and the bantam 177. I bought the compatto 22 for one purpose. In late season squirrel hunting to sit in my tree stand and hunt squirrels. To me the compatto is a nice light hunting rig that is very accurate. I don't like to sit and plink targets with it. Just not enough of a shot count for that 
thats where the 177 bantam comes in. 
Great little rifle to sit out back with a decent shot count and plink targets. And enough power to hunt squirrels also if I choose to. I mainly use it to shoot targets and the occasional treaspassing starling. 

Hey all, thank you for your replies. I knew going in that I would be hearing about the puncher breaker - it does seem like a game changer, and could very well be the first air gun I own. 

However, I do love the look of the Bantam, and have only heard good things about it. My thought process on airguns is increasingly that if I'm going to buy one, I want to love it, as it will probably be the only one I get (that's how it starts, right...). This might justify a higher initial cost.

That might speak to your 4 stage checklist, davecole, and it seems like springing for a used Wildcat MK2 compact or a bantam even years in the future would be a good way of securing a quality airgun that will last a long time. I am not quite so concerned with constantly swapping out parts as long as I have a reliable airgun that will perform well.

All the same, you get so much out of the Kral PB....

I think the field of PCPs is undergoing some exciting revolutions with major changes happening year by year - I believe the dreamline will be a game-changer, and help to drive costs down.

Hawkeye, how would you compare the pros and cons of the three guns you listed?

I currently have a kral pb and should be getting the warcat here soon the Kral is a great little gun I get smaller than dime sized groups at 40 yards. The only thing I don't like about the puncher breaker is with a bipod attached the rail on the bottom spins and makes it very unsteady. But taking the gun out of the stock and putting another screw or something through it so it doesn't rotate shouldn't be too difficult I just haven't tried it yet.

"Choogly"Hawkeye, how would you compare the pros and cons of the three guns you listed?

If I had to choose a favorite, it would be the Bantam. The weight and balance are just about perfect IMO, the magazine is one of the best, the gun is very accurate, and the safety is in a perfect spot right inside the trigger guard. You can also manual load without a single shot tray. My biggest con is that the cocking bolt should have more tension to hold it in the locked position. It pretty easy to accidentally move it and lose an O-ring when you fire. I'd done it more than once, but I try to be more careful now. It's non-regulated but very consistent in the 70 shot range and although it has a power adjuster, using it does not increase shot count. It is also the lowest priced of the three.

The Renegade is accurate but it's heavier than the other two. With the scope mounted it weighs about 9.5 pounds and it is top heavy. Having a pistol grip, I find it less comfortable to carry over a long distance in the field. (in the process getting a sling for it) It too can be manually loaded without a shot tray. The magazine is good like the Bantam's plus the gun cannot be double loaded. The lever action is less convenient being located away from the trigger at the back of the gun making fast follow-up shots more difficult . It is also non-regulated with a consistent shot count in the 70 range. The safety is in a good location by the trigger but for right-handed shooters it is very easy to accidentally move it from safe to the fire position.

The Wildcat's weight and balance are good but it's a bit top heavy, of course it's accurate, but you can't manual load it. On the plus side you can load pellets on the fly without removing the magazine, which I like when hunting doves. The lever action is well-placed above the trigger. The safety is at the rear of the gun and cannot be set to safe unless the rifle is cocked. I like to set my guns on safe whenever they are not being used, loaded or not. It is regulated with a shot count of around 70.

So, the question really is kinda loaded. Define BEST VALUE as it applies to you. Cheap? Or Reliable? Main use? 
If you really like the sport, save up a bit and get the better gun unless you really can’t afford one. Then I would suggest buying a used one. 
The upcoming Bantam may have an oversized bolt that may help with the issue described above. I had a Compatto and it did the same thing. 
I prefer the semi-bullpups. I own a Cricket Mini Carbine that is the cat’s meow (to me) 
Do your research, clic on the search button up there and research each gun that may be a contender. 

Guys, I asked for what gets *your* vote for best value. I'm perfectly content to hear you explain your answer in the context of your own value system. I can learn from that. I don't expect any objective analysis, because I don't believe it to be possible. Trust me to sort through it all.

As far as my values go, reliability is one of the biggest. I also put a high value on a quiet report. Ergonomics, light weight. And of course the obvious stuff - accuracy, power, shot count.

Georgia Airguns Kalibrgun Cricket Mini Carbine in .22. 14 round magazine. Got 4 mags with purchase. Came to me tunned. Super quiet. Easy to work on. Super reliable. Shoots like a lazer at 30 yards. Hits hard. Very comfortable to shoot. I get about 40+ shots on a fill. Semi-Bullpup configuration with easy to reach lever. 
One of the best custumer service experience around. It’s driving distance to me. 

"Choogly"The Cricket does sound like a standard setter. I hope to hear more about Taipan models - while expensive, they seem relatively under the radar considering their quality.
I’m currently trying to learn as much as possible about the Taipan. Here is what I have so far. 
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/taipan-report/
Great gun, I don’t consider them expensive, they are a Great Value. I prefer the semi bullpup platform though.