Other What features would your dream PCP have?

What parts of the design do you like?

• Barrel

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Internals

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Magazine

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Stock

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Nothing is good, it all sucks and pointless...

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
At the moment there is no airgun on the market that that I'd say is perfect for me, that has all the features I'd like to see. Many airguns have some features I really like but none combine them all. The Skout Epoch, FX Impact M3 and Altaros M24 all have features I'd like to see in one rifle.

So I spent an hour throwing this together mixing the 3 rifles.
Barrel:
The M24 barrel also functions as it's airtank but this means the pressure on the barrel decreases as you shoot. So what if you made a barrel and shroud designed to hold the pressure?
Fill it to 200-300bar to hold the barrel in place but you only ever empty it when swapping barrel and liner.

Internals:
I really like the Epoch regulators and how they work. In the design below the plenum is designed so you can easily swap it out for different sizes.
The plenum is attached to the power block and the airtube to the plenum. Then again I don't know if you can design it this way or if there has to be some sort of part in between.
I don't know if the Epoch has a plenum or if the powerblock would do anything on the Epoch platform but if it's unnecessary then the airtank is probably pointless and the standard Epoch one works just fine.

Magazines:
Both the Epoch and Impact use the bullpup design and I really like it. The location is ideal for placing magazines of many different sizes, you could make a really large magazine that's shaped like an oval tommy gun drum. Ideal would be to make a mechanical system where the magazine is rotated as the bolt is cycled, would be good for semi auto or full auto as well.

Stock:
I like the Airmarksman FX Impact Backbone Rail, I also like the mlok rail on the Epoch. So I'd like to see an extended version of this.
The arca swiss rail underneath is locked in place with 2 mlok stabilizers. This would make the rifle extremely rigid.
I really wish the Epoch had a picatinny rail on the underside of the stock at the back so that you could attach a monopod there, the area isn't used for anything afaik so should be easy to add.
I would love to see a stock with a long picatinny rail on top, mlok on the sides and arca picatinny on bottom. Adjustable stock for height, length and monopod or place to attach monopod.

Untitled.png

Well, I'd need several perfect airguns as the requirements for different disciplines are often diametrically opposite (having multiple airguns is NOT a problem 😉 )

For my main interests (plinking and pesting) a .22 caliber FX Crown ticks off all the boxes.

It's not "perfect", I wish it featured a Weihrauch HW100 style magazine - simple, metal, no moving parts, low profile (for low scope mounting) and does not double load.

Frankin-guns designed by armchair-engineers ...love it!

Cheers!

Is it even possible to make an airgun without o-rings? You would literally have to make parts with zero tolerance and I have a feeling that wouldn't stand up to abuse very well.
The Evanix Rex has just two o-rings - one on the valve end and one on the valve stem channel- and it would likely still work without them.
The air cylinder does have sealing o-rings on both ends, but if it never needs to come apart then they could/might be replaceable with some glue.
(this is not a recomendation for the Evanix Rex itself, just pointing out the facts)

What I'd really like to see someone make is a bullpup with a bent barrel. From an airgun perspective, bullpups are great. Barrel length is more important for us than it is for powder burners and by placing the action a foot further back we gain an extra foot of barrel length, but it comes at the cost of having the scope 2.5" or more above the bore line. If the barrel were to have say a slow 15 degree bend in it above the pistol grip, then the scope could be mounted at a more traditional height.

Whether this would play hell with accuracy or not I don't know, but I'd sure like to see it attempted.

What I'd really like to see someone make is a bullpup with a bent barrel. From an airgun perspective, bullpups are great. Barrel length is more important for us than it is for powder burners and by placing the action a foot further back we gain an extra foot of barrel length, but it comes at the cost of having the scope 2.5" or more above the bore line. If the barrel were to have say a slow 15 degree bend in it above the pistol grip, then the scope could be mounted at a more traditional height.

Whether this would play hell with accuracy or not I don't know, but I'd sure like to see it attempted.
Educate me!
How does a bullpup cause the scope to sit higher?
Im not into bullpups, so Ive never really thought about this.
Never really studied them either!
But, useing the Epoch in the diagram above (in post #1). If this Epoch is indeed considered a bullpup, Im not sure how the scope height is different than any other conventional design.
So why does a bullpup cause the scope to sit higher?

Educate me!
How does a bullpup cause the scope to sit higher?
Im not into bullpups, so Ive never really thought about this.
Never really studied them either!
But, useing the Epoch in the diagram above (in post #1). If this Epoch is indeed considered a bullpup, Im not sure how the scope height is different than any other conventional design.
So why does a bullpup cause the scope to sit higher?
Scope height is a function of the position of the shooter's eye height above the cheek rest. Bullpup's are pretty much forced to have the cheek rest above the barrel, while traditional stocked rifles can have it kind of anywhere (in line with the barrel, or even below it). This results in needing the scope to be higher above the barrel, either through the riser or higher scope rings . . .

Scope height is a function of the position of the shooter's eye height above the cheek rest. Bullpup's are pretty much forced to have the cheek rest above the barrel, while traditional stocked rifles can have it kind of anywhere (in line with the barrel, or even below it). This results in needing the scope to be higher above the barrel, either through the riser or higher scope rings . . .
Exactly! Here's a picture of a TX200. Notice that the cheekpiece is inline with the bore and that it's a very tall cheekpiece that's intended to work with a fairly large scope.
1702153229197.png
For comparison, here's a Western Sidewinder
1702153364309.png

And a Winchester with iron sights
1702153837382.png

1. Absolute solid connection between barrel and receiver. Many pcp's need to be handled too gently to avoid POI shifts.
2. Beefier barrels. While not necessarily, if I'm going to have a solid connection to receiver I want a beefy barrel too.
3. Air capacity of 750cc to 1000cc. Big power uses lots of air.
4. No regulator, no problem. Give me an adjustable hammer and transfer port and I'll figure out if I want a long flat low power shot string or a high power diving cliff.
5. No fill probe. Ever.
6. Fully bedded/reinforced solid polymer/synthetic (no hollow cavities) or wood stock options only. Solid barrel/receiver needs a solid stock. Don't care if it's a bit heavy.
7. Functional bayonet. Just cause.
8. Good iron sights. Don't want anything flimsy or made of plastic.

Of course, I'd want very good accuracy and a threaded muzzle for various options. Caliber wasn't mentioned, but I'd lean towards .30cal or maybe .357 for general use, or .25/.257 for "light duty" or target.

Reactions: AlanMcD