• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What explains the behaviour of my FX slug. Whats the science?

So my Bullboss .25 is not in love with with slugs. at least not the ones Ive tried. I understand some barrels like them some don't. Im not interested in the why my gun doesn't like them. But more whats causing its very specific trajectory vs others. This only happens with the FX Hybrid .25 slug too.

SO! the details. My typical pellet selection is very accurate at 30 yards. (its all i can manage in my back yard atm) I understand slugs are not intended for short range accuracy but this wont apply anyway.

#1The FX Slugs Always fly out of the barrel to the right and impact about a foot to the right of what Im shooting at. But they are impressively consistent...they nail the same location every time. Again..its just always far right.

When I compare this to my Grizzly slugs. My grizzlies are shooting left, right, upside down, inside out, They hit everything in a 1 foot radius.(except the actual target)

So from FX I'm getting very accurate inaccuracy. From grizzlies I'm just getting whatever they feel like doing.

So what elements are at play here? Why would the FX slugs be going so consistently to the right while being accurate to the point? while grizzles go where ever they want, and pellets are deadly accurate. Whats the Science behind this? (I should also note the Scope is sighted in with my pellets, great groupings)

(Also with FX Slugs..I can actually see them. perhaps its because they have a bit more shine than others. with my pellets, or my Grizzly slugs. I can never see them flying through the air.

Just wait until you get slugs shooting little clover leaf groups one day, then come out the next and their 2” groups. Slugs can be extremely frustrating at times. As far as the grizzlys Id let them ride and move on. As for the hybrids it just sounds like a harmonic thing.

hmm. Harmonics. Interesting ive never thought about how that could play a role.

The whole gun bounces and jiggles with every shot. Where the gun is pointed varies by the slightest micro second. The difference in just a few grains is enough to make the shot clear the crown at different places in the jiggle dance. Your slugs and your preferred pellets may shoot tight groups on different parts of the target simply due to harmonics.

All are good suggestions above and should be noted.

You gave us no indication of what fps you are shooting the slugs or pellets. Try different speeds in 5fps adjustments to find a particular harmonic that works with the FX Hybrid. You will find "as good as it gets" with your BB and it might not be as good as a pellet.

Under 100yd, pellets rule out of the box. Slugs can require critical tuning at this range. Have fun, take notes and keep us posted. 

Try indexing the liner for the hybrid sluts. If you plan to shoot the hybrids most and they are hitting the same hole every shot. Indexing the liner to shoot at 12 o’clock you can’t ask for much more. Then try the pellets and see where they hit. OMHO

Ill just admit now. I haven't the slightest idea what any of that means? But im willing to give it a shot if you can explain a bit more :)

All are good suggestions above and should be noted.

You gave us no indication of what fps you are shooting the slugs or pellets. Try different speeds in 5fps adjustments to find a particular harmonic that works with the FX Hybrid. You will find "as good as it gets" with your BB and it might not be as good as a pellet.

Under 100yd, pellets rule out of the box. Slugs can require critical tuning at this range. Have fun, take notes and keep us posted.

the information was limited. However if I had a Crony I would certainly let you know :)

I haven't touched a thing adjustment wise on the BB since it left the box. I plan to start trying my hand and some adjusting once I stop procrastinating and order the proper tool and crony. 

So here's the deal with slugs, your barrel either loves them or hates them. I spent about $150 on slug sample packs before I found a slug my barrel likes. You can't tune a slug to your gun. You have to tune your gun to a slug.

Your first indicator that you're on the right track is the consistency of the FX hybrid slugs. Whenever you're trying to find the right slug for your barrel, you typically set up a target 40 or 50 yards downrange, and you shoot fro group size. NOT ACCURACY! Every different type of slug will leave the barrel differently. Some spin off into oblivion. Some group nice. If they group nice, your barrel likes them. Then start to fine tune the gun to see if the groups get tighter or loosen. But if you're telling me that the FX hybrid slugs are giving you nearly hole in hole accuracy at 30 yards, but they're shooting a foot to the right, then adjust the parallax on your scope so the cross hairs are moved 1 foot to the right, in the center of the group at 30 yards. Now the scope is zeroed to the slug you're shooting. After that, every shot with the slugs should be in the center of your cross hairs.

The slugs aren't clipping your moderator. If they were, they would be all over the place- even at 30 yards. They just operate and fly differently than pellets. It doesn't need to be over-analyzed or over-explained. Comparing a slug to a pellet is comparing a shuttlecock to a football in flight. The pellet is self stabilizing but lacks sustained energy downrange. The slug (if you can find the right one) can be extremely accurate short and long range. But the long range retained energy is where a slug dominates.

Matt Dubber (Air Arms Hunting South Africa) has done tremendous videos on BC and projectile performance in flight. Watch them on YouTube.