• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX What does this tell me about my tune (Wildcat MK3 BT)

Hey folks, I have read several threads and watched AEAC Vlogs about tuning FX airguns with dual AMP regs.

After going through a bit of a problem with my Wildcat MK3 when it was out of commission for a week or so, I got a chance to fix it and play around with the regulators and HS adjustment today.

So, what does the following data tell me? I am so new to the PCP world that I am not sure if the results I share below are good or is there something else that could be done to make the gun more efficient overall.

DATA:
Caliber: .30
Barrel: 600mm
Front regulator: 145 bar
Rear regulator: 115 bar
PW: 7
HS: 1 and 1/2 turn CCW from absolute bottom. (I tried turning it counterclockwise more but it did not gain me additional FPS) Eventually, I turned the HS 6 turns CCW (testing fps after each full turn) and FPS started to drop.

Currently shooting JSB 44.75 grain at 875fps (ES 10 fps over 75 shots) at PW7. This yields 72-75 shots from 250 bar down to 115 bar.

If I turn the PW to 6, my average fps is around 850fps. PW 5 yields around 820fps and so forth.

I am happy with the results as far as accuracy at 40 yards (max range for what I use it for, hunting/pest control). I believe the shot count is great for a .30 cal producing 76fpe.

However, being so new to the PCP world, I am of the thought that I do not know what I do not know.

So is there anything that I need to do to fine tune this rifle or did I find a sweet spot for my needs?

Thanks and if all this sounds like I am being OCD, let me know. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranchibi
Sounds pretty good to me. Shot count is certainly impressive.
I was surprised myself. It has a 580cc bottle. I can shoot 5 mags (13 pellet each) and on the 6th mag I can get another 8-10 shots. I like it a lot because I dont have to think about filling it with air unlike my previous PCP a Daystate Air Ranger .25cal. That thing with a 480cc bottle would get 24 shots before the fps would drop enough that I would start to see POI change at 30-40 yards.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
I was surprised myself. It has a 580cc bottle. I can shoot 5 mags (13 pellet each) and on the 6th mag I can get another 8-10 shots. I like it a lot because I dont have to think about filling it with air unlike my previous PCP a Daystate Air Ranger .25cal. That thing with a 480cc bottle would get 24 shots before the fps would drop enough that I would start to see POI change at 30-40 yards.
I have an FX Boss (.30) in which I installed a Huma regulator this past summer. My shot count went from 3 mags (27 shots) to 6+ mags (57 shots) & accuracy & power are better than it ever was! (Reg @ 160bar, 885ish fps).

Looking at your data you have it set quite well. If the accuracy and shot count work for you leave it.

The curse of most FX rifles is the buyers, myself included tend to be fiddlers. We just cannot leave well enough alone. Make sure you have a record of all your settings so that should you follow the path of the fiddler you can always come back to your point of origin.

You're there. As long as *you* are satisfied with the result, you're "in tune". Tune varies per person. For example, within reasonable limits I don't really care about efficiency - again, within reasonable limits. I have endless air, and don't usually engage in lengthy firing sessions, so to me accuracy with sufficient power are all I'm after. If I haven't maximized my shot count, I don't really care. OTOH, when I was hand pumping I cared a great deal.

You can tune for power, accuracy, efficiency, noise, or whatever. There are always trade-offs. You prioritize the aspects you care about and just try to keep everything else in the "acceptable to you" range.

GsT

You're there. As long as *you* are satisfied with the result, you're "in tune". Tune varies per person. For example, within reasonable limits I don't really care about efficiency - again, within reasonable limits. I have endless air, and don't usually engage in lengthy firing sessions, so to me accuracy with sufficient power are all I'm after. If I haven't maximized my shot count, I don't really care. OTOH, when I was hand pumping I cared a great deal.

You can tune for power, accuracy, efficiency, noise, or whatever. There are always trade-offs. You prioritize the aspects you care about and just try to keep everything else in the "acceptable to you" range.

GsT
Gene, makes complete sense. I wanted a balance. For my needs, flinging 44.8 grain pellets at 880fps is perfectly sufficient for my needs. I have tried higher reg pressure and pushed these pellets upwards of 950 fps but I have no need for that kind of power but it is good to know I can tune it to that level if the need ever arises. I am also lucky that I have not experienced any POI shift from day to day unlike some FX owners have experienced. I can pick up my rifle and it will hit where I aim. I also tested the first shot of the day after having the rifle sit overnight and it shot exactly at the FPS i expected/tuned it for so there is no reg creep.

I believe I have hit a happy medium of this rifle for my use.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeneT