• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beeman What does "select stock" mean?

Here's two Beeman sold Weihrauch, serial number 124xxxxx and 125xxxxx. The R1 came in a box labelled "select stock", has an unusual colored original
L1009577.jpeg
stock, but the R8 has, I think, a much prettier stock? What does "select" really mean?

The top stock is quarter sawn lumber, the bottom one is plain sawn. Quarter sawn lumber is less likely to warp.
View attachment 385033
Look close. The plain sawn log has some quarter sawn lumber too. Cut the center boards in half. Quarter sawn beech shows medulary rays. The R1 stock displays it. But it doesn't always look so good as that. Sometimes the plain sawn lumber looks good. HW50
P1010071.JPG

I would speculate that most mass-produced beech stocks are plain (or "slab") sawn, for reasons of economy. Which is a bit of a crap shoot - graining can range from yawner to gorgeous! The medullary rays (which run radially from the center - blue lines) are very small in many kinds of wood, but form prominent flakes in beech, and thus telegraph where the blank sat in a log.

As KWK noted, the piece highlighted in red below, would be indistinguishable from one in the center of a quarter-sawn group; the rays might be narrow highlights on the top and bottom edges. But as BoG pointed out, in the yellow one they might appear as nice wavy figuring, in different positions on each side of the stock.

PS: apologies to JohnL57 for stealing his nice illustration! 😀

IMG_6237.jpeg

To answer the original question...I suspect "select stock" meant whatever the good Doc wanted it to mean on a given day, LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling