What does Analyazing your target holes tell you.

I have been going down the rabbit hole, gathering bits and pieces of wisdom to understand more about our sport/hobby/passion. I have been told in the past, when shooting at paper targets, you want a nice clean hole left by the pellet/slug. A clean hole correlates to a stable flight of the pellet when strkiing the target. I found a vid on youtube where some F-class shooters are talking about the different shapes and patterns on can get when shooting a group. It is very informative, done by experts in their field. They discuss how to tell if you have too much velocity...too little all by analyzing the paper. Hope it teaches you all something you didn't know before...i sure did
Mike

Without having seen the video yet, what I have observed is that slugs make a clean round hole meanwhile Hades JSB pellets make a mess of hole in the paper.

It would be interesting to have the answers to a survey of the game taken with each pellet or slug.... But a well placed shot with the adequate fps and wight and diameter of projectile will leave the shooted wordless.

Lots can be learned about you as a shooter, also about the particular airgun, pellets/slug choice.....did you pull the shot, anticipate the shot, breathing/trigger control.....was the projectile on the rise/fall at impact, tumble or keyhole, over or under powered, does the airgun like that particular projectile, do the projectiles play nice with your barrel, barrel length and twist rate ETC ETC, just to name a few