• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What Do You Use For Backstop?

I use old rugs for backstops,I put up at least 4 targets and on those targets, there are 5 smaller ones.
I also use small colored dots on said targets.
The rugs hang down; that way they better absorb the pellets, and never have a problem with the pellets going through them.
So framework to hold the cardboard to tape the targets to,then a couple of inches to the rugs.
I could have shown a picture, but I need to practice my typing an Eglish

Reactions: cosmic and JDR
The rubber horse stall mats sold at Tractor's Supply seem like they would work well. They are very dense - heavy - and are not overly expensive. I cut them with a track saw.
It has been my experience horse stall mats, and rubber targets work well in warmer weather, but when the temp drops they rebound your projectile back.

Reactions: .20calguy
I use a mulch trap at 50 yards, and a doubled stall mat at 100 yards.
IMG_2731.png

For backyard shooting, I use a cardboard box filled with junk advertising and old magazines. By the time it needs replacing, I've collected enough filler for the next one. I shoot both sides of the box, and the middle one-third never collects pellets, so it goes into the next box. My usual beer carton box is just the right size for most magazines. I use heavy duct tape to cover both sides of the box, and it lasts a long time.

My backyard range has a hillside for a backstop. For my indoor garage/shop range I use a pair of Champion brand .22lr rated steel bullet traps. For shooting inside the house with lower velocity guns like the 753S and HW75, I use a 2'x2'x18" heavy cardboard box filled with denim and old magazines stapled to a sheet of 3/4" plywood of the same size. Really quiet, and the plywood will let you know if you've worn out the denim and old magazines as it gets pretty loud when you're down to just the plywood.

It has been my experience horse stall mats, and rubber targets work well in warmer weather, but when the temp drops they rebound your projectile back.
I got some of those thick rubber mats hanging outside and in freezing temps they pretty much act like wooden boards, haven't had any ricochets but they might as well be wooden boards because they are loud!

I got some of those thick rubber mats hanging outside and in freezing temps they pretty much act like wooden boards, haven't had any ricochets but they might as well be wooden boards because they are loud!
It's happened to me with the horse mats and rubber knockover targets. Maybe at one temp they rebound and when colder and more frozen less so? Unsure.