• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What Do You Use For Backstop?

5 gallon bucket and one bag of Home Depot rubber mulch. I believe they are 7.xx lbs or something close. One bag perfectly fills a bucket. Snap a lid on, lay on its side and it will stop 1000’s of pellets.
I have a pic. This is all I use. Stand it on another bucket if you need height.

4BFC807D-7B74-4410-AEA2-01C598E98AF4.jpeg

Is that a softer type plastic for the lid? Some plastic lids I've used shatter pretty quickly.
Yeah. I’ve bought replacements at Home Depot and lowes and neither shatter. Actually take quite a few shots before needing change and are under 3 bucks. Never had a pellet escape out the side of the bucket either.

Archery bags filled with rubber mulch might be the play for quiet outside cold weather plinking. They can even make good backstops that can cover a decent size area if you stack em on top/next to each other. Can always spray paint it if you don't want it to stand out so much.

Last edited:
I'm allways on the lookout for something I can use.

received_886077759776472.jpeg

So when these units were replaced, two steel doors were scrapped, and given to me. They were quarter inch, non magnetic steel, about 40x48 inches.

I painted them black, and made two targets from them, one for me, and one for the Grandkids.

received_1069229464099591.jpeg
received_1242052200519069.jpeg

I designed them primarily for pistol shooting with open sights.
The steel deflects the pellets down.
The shelves are soft cedar to reduce ricochet.
The shelves are painted white to assist the open sights view and aid alignment.

It didn't take long, and we were shooting scopes, and red dots at them.
We settled in to it being a 75 foot, 25 yard backstop.

received_728027319222372.jpeg

We wound up making challenges on it, like you see on the second shelf.
I called that one "Shoot Don't Shoot"
It's pretty tough beccause you can't just shoot them, you have to hit them strategicly.

If you shoot the shotshell hull, standing behind the CO2 cartridge, you have to hit the hull low, to prevent it from spinning, and booting the CO2 cart off the rack. Etc.
It's kind of like pick up sticks, where you have to pickup sticks without disturbing the others.
It's also like pool, a game of angles where every action causes a reaction.
Lol

Last edited:
Outside I use a 10-12" piece of softwood log (white pine, cedar, spruce) mounted on three legs.

Indoors it's a modified plastic tote filled with rubber mulch.

View attachment 414305
Currently what I use as well. I also have horse mats but they're way too loud. I've noticed that shooting into the grain the way you have it setup is much quieter than shooting it against the grain (from the side of the stump). But I'm currently looking for even an even more quieter way in an urban environment that cover a wider area for pesting as well. Which is what I'm gonna be testing next with archer bags filled with mulch.

Last edited:
Currently what I use as well. I also have horse mats but they're way too loud. I've noticed that shooting into the grain the way you have it setup is much quieter than shooting it against the grain (from the side of the stump). But I'm currently looking for even an even more quieter way in an urban environment that cover a wider area for pesting as well. Which is what I'm gonna be testing next with archer bags filled with mulch.
Shooting into the log-ends is quite and they can absorb a lot of pellets before needing replacement. I tried cross grain butts as well and they didn't last very long.

When the face gets too shot up and rough I mount/draw my target on a piece of (cereal box) cardboard.

To reclaim the lead I remove the support legs and split the log to see how deep the pellets penetrated. Then I cut the pellet laden wood free from the log (usually a 3 inch thick slice for my 30 fpe PCPs) and split the wood to free the lumps of lead.

The rubber mulch target is much better than the ductseal one I used to use.

Reactions: Kleezy