What do you think of this new AEA M50 Pistol

Most satisfying moment with an AEA HP SS was when it sold.
I never owned one but to me they are a creative company putting out some cool products but since they are keeping the cost down they are like other brands where the parts are not perfectly machined which causes issues and possibly some parts are not made as well? I think AEA is a brand that it would be best to send it to an air gun tuner to take apart, grind, hone, polish, and fix their low cost mass production issues and then hopefully it will be more reliable; otherwise it is best for the DIY experienced person whom can fix things themselves? It reminds me of Hatson but just with crazy power both need some work to be at the level of better brands but they could be with some work...

Reactions: xsiv4s
I never owned one but to me they are a creative company putting out some cool products but since they are keeping the cost down they are like other brands where the parts are not perfectly machined which causes issues and possibly some parts are not made as well? I think AEA is a brand that it would be best to send it to an air gun tuner to take apart, grind, hone, polish, and fix their low cost mass production issues and then hopefully it will be more reliable; otherwise it is best for the DIY experienced person whom can fix things themselves? It reminds me of Hatson but just with crazy power both need some work to be at the level of better brands but they could be with some work...
I totally agree. I cannot go into detail on what is coming this year, but a couple of the products are just unbelievable. With over thirty custom parts and a lot of custom work, they also help keep me in business. Even their most problematic gun, the BW S45, works very well after a little tune-up work.

I totally agree. I cannot go into detail on what is coming this year, but a couple of the products are just unbelievable. With over thirty custom parts and a lot of custom work, they also help keep me in business. Even their most problematic gun, the BW S45, works very well after a little tune-up work.
you should post some videos of before and after performance to show us how well you can tune and customize the AEA's. When you say BW S45, is that the Bin Tac B & W S45?, I saw his site says there is a Nitro 457 version? and descriptions say 18 good shots of .457. I read that to cock the action it is really stiff and I worry about how reliable their semi-auto action is compared to my GK1 as an example?

I am mostly doing behind-the-scenes stuff. I have repaired a few customer guns, but I mainly modify current and new releases. The attached picture shows the surface of a factory BW S45 bolt (In their 357 model). My prototype bolt for the BW S45 in 50cal is on the right. The upper portion of the factory bolt has the surface (Ridges) of a vinyl record, mine on the right is highly polished and should tear up a lot fewer seals.

BOLT COMPARISON.jpg

Feels like less lethal stuff. Get an imperfect but decent platform, mod it, and make it right. I've seen this before as well as some work to the trigger and barrel to correct issues. Updates?
Well, the 45 cal (.456") at 240gr with the 20" barrel on the BW S45 is traveling at 900fps, I believe that is Colt 45 numbers. They fought me for a year on using a longer barrel, and the 20" worked great; so, now in about a month, they are releasing a BW S45 with a 24" barrel.

Well, the 45 cal (.456") at 240gr with the 20" barrel on the BW S45 is traveling at 900fps, I believe that is Colt 45 numbers. They fought me for a year on using a longer barrel, and the 20" worked great; so, now in about a month, they are releasing a BW S45 with a 24" barrel.
Who is producing the projectiles you are using? The s45 us very appealing but I'm not a gunsmith nor a machinist (though I do have access to a lather and a milling machine) so before I start trying to machine my own stuff like to have some blueprint for what needs to be done. If I can do some work and get the kink out of the s45 to make it reliable, I will for sure be grabbing one. Would love to pick your brain. Thanks for posting!

Who is producing the projectiles you are using? The s45 us very appealing but I'm not a gunsmith nor a machinist (though I do have access to a lather and a milling machine) so before I start trying to machine my own stuff like to have some blueprint for what needs to be done. If I can do some work and get the kink out of the s45 to make it reliable, I will for sure be grabbing one. Would love to pick your brain. Thanks for posting!
Also looking at the aftermarket magazines to prevent the whole exploding magazine issue.

Also looking at the aftermarket magazines to prevent the whole exploding magazine issue.
That would be me and me. I've made around 100,000 of the 155gr hollow skirt pellets (60k or so for Bintac). Among my 30 aftermarket AEA parts are CNC mag covers for the BW S45 as well as 7-round and 8-round inserts. I also make the heavier 240gr pellets for the 20" and 24" barrel setup.

You must be Jim from texoma precision pellets. Yep, you're definitely on my radar, sir. If I do get one, I was going to get the complete mags, not just the aluminum covers. I just about bought one this week, but the other major thing that prevented me from taking the risk was the spring fatigue issue if slugs are held in there. I would want to be able to keep my magazines loaded, but it seems that doing so will cause jamming as well resulting from spring fatigue.

I read somewhere that later models have a heavier spring that might address this issue, but I'm not sure. I also, in doing my due diligence, ran across the video you did describing some of the issues that you had with a change in springs causing issues with fitment of the insert you built for those mags. I've tried looking for a spring upgrade that would allow me to store the mags loaded without fear of jamming, but haven't seen one and didn't see it mentioned in the description of your full aluminum mags.

If so, I would definitely want to know as I have a good deal on one that's part of a package I'd like to buy. This one has 5 of the (presumed) older mags included. If you also have a cost effective option to upgrade the springs in those as well I'd be interested in buying the aluminum covers and spring upgrades from you as well. Buying another rifle from same guy already so if you have definitive answers for me I would certainly want to know so I could just buy them both at the same time. Not shipping for a couple weeks so have a little time, but would definitely like to know.

Thanks for making the comment, Jim. It came at the right time.

You must be Jim from texoma precision pellets. Yep, you're definitely on my radar, sir. If I do get one, I was going to get the complete mags, not just the aluminum covers. I just about bought one this week, but the other major thing that prevented me from taking the risk was the spring fatigue issue if slugs are held in there. I would want to be able to keep my magazines loaded, but it seems that doing so will cause jamming as well resulting from spring fatigue.

I read somewhere that later models have a heavier spring that might address this issue, but I'm not sure. I also, in doing my due diligence, ran across the video you did describing some of the issues that you had with a change in springs causing issues with fitment of the insert you built for those mags. I've tried looking for a spring upgrade that would allow me to store the mags loaded without fear of jamming, but haven't seen one and didn't see it mentioned in the description of your full aluminum mags.

If so, I would definitely want to know as I have a good deal on one that's part of a package I'd like to buy. This one has 5 of the (presumed) older mags included. If you also have a cost effective option to upgrade the springs in those as well I'd be interested in buying the aluminum covers and spring upgrades from you as well. Buying another rifle from same guy already so if you have definitive answers for me I would certainly want to know so I could just buy them both at the same time. Not shipping for a couple weeks so have a little time, but would definitely like to know.

Thanks for making the comment, Jim. It came at the right time.
Older mags can be upgraded with a tiny drill bit. The old springs (If I remember correctly) are 1.07mm with the new ones at 1.13mm, so the hole must be made a hair larger to accommodate the newer, heavier spring. Macabespeed has come up with a stick magazine for higher capacity, and I am looking into a dual-wheel design that would use a more reliable clock spring.

My AEA/Bin Tac M50 Pistol.
M50 with 250cc tank. 4200 fill 235 gn hollow pt ammo
22 inch barrel.
1. 859 FPS 385 FPE Base line

M50 Pcp 8 inch shorty barrel. 4200 psi fill with small 250 cc tank
Texoma 235 Grain .495 hollow point ammo

1. 629 FPS 207 FPE
2. 598 FPS 187 fpe
3. 596 fps 185 fpe
4. 589 fps 181 fpe
5. 579 fps 175 fpe
6. 515 fps 138 fpe
I really like this configuration. Its very light and compact and has decent energy.