• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What do you think of this new AEA M50 Pistol

I'm probably about to pre-order one. They have .50 (.495) shipping first, then .510 and .457. I'm thinking .457 because I already have that ammo, and like Hillary Clinton says "at this point, what difference does it make?!"

13" in total length. $639.00 ... about 200 fpe and you get 1 magazine (6 shots) shooting hot, then another magazine at well over 100 fpe if you for some reason needed it.

So yes we know the HP Max platform has some issues like, #1 you need to get the right size slugs. Not a hard one. And you shouldn't need that many because this isn't a target shooting gun. #2, the valve pins can sometimes break. Myself, having replaced an HP valve pin before, it takes 10 minutes and the replacement costs $30 so I'll just keep an extra on hand.

Like I said I'm just thinking about preordering right now even though I said I wouldn't buy any more airguns. I might have to sell a couple shiny rocks to make up for it and keep my wife happy. She's gonna like this though ;)

I've owned a bunch of AEAs and still hold onto two of them (Challenger Pro .30 and HP SS+ .30) so I pretty much know what to expect. This is kind of a game changer though in the compact arena. What do you think?

No I don't work for AEA or Bintac I just really like what they come out with especially on my budget. Bin Lu and his guys like Jason and Pete have always been 100% on top of any issues I have, very helpful and because of all that I prefer dealing with AEA now.
Will that take a mil spec AR-15 style but stock?

Who is the best US dealer for AEA airguns.

BinTac and AresTactical have solid reps in my opinion. I deal with BinTac usually, just because the service record with Bin Lu (being able to text him for whatever reason) is fantastic. I've had a few issues arise in my many AEA purchases which he never hesitated to take care of right away.

Anyway I was going to post here to say I've finally got a chance to shoot this pistol a bit.

Recently moved and now I have a big, long cellar. Just made a big rubber mulch shooting box, backed by a layer of bricks and other ingenious layers that will allow it to work for anything from 5 FPE to probably 300+ FPE with no concerns of ricochet. Whole thing cost me $80 at Home Depot. And it's about a 24x40" safe shooting area for most guns, with an inner zone of 18x32" that I would consider ideal for shooting big bore. This pistol shoots NICE and very accurate! The trigger is really incredible, lighter than you would think. I wear earplugs shooting this thing indoors. Outdoors for some reason it sounds even louder. But anyway, more testing to be done soon. I have about 5 kinds of ammo for it.... we will do the FPS/FPE strings one of these days probably soon.

I just need to get some better light in the basement so the chrony will work reliably. It's about a 20 yard range down there. I'm shooting this with the red dot at 10 yards for now. I'll back that up soon once it's sighted in better. Now that I finally have a place to shoot it.

Reactions: primaz
I bought one, I love it. It is very loud. I shot it inside and my ears were ringing for a while. My first shot brings the fill from 300 to 240 bar, it uses a ton of air for the first shot. I've easily got 6 shots out of it.
It's easy to load, I've had no problems other than the magazine coming off center when I cock to reload, so I have to tilt the gun to keep it from moving.
I wish they made an 8 inch barrel so I could swap it with the 5", that would let me use the donnyFL on it and keep it short.

Reactions: silvershooter589
I bought one, I love it. It is very loud. I shot it inside and my ears were ringing for a while. My first shot brings the fill from 300 to 240 bar, it uses a ton of air for the first shot. I've easily got 6 shots out of it.
It's easy to load, I've had no problems other than the magazine coming off center when I cock to reload, so I have to tilt the gun to keep it from moving.
I wish they made an 8 inch barrel so I could swap it with the 5", that would let me use the donnyFL on it and keep it short.

What caliber did you choose?

I'm curious to do some shot strings with mine. I suspect the 6th shot is about 100 fpe... down from 180ish on the first shot. Could be wrong. But I want to see what a 2nd magazine will do. I dry fired the gun with almost no air in the tank and it still had some kick to it.

Not that I can ever really imagine a situation where a second magazine is needed before topping off the tank. But just for zombie apocalypse SHTF, I'm still curious. Even 50 fpe on the end of the 2nd mag would be hitting harder than the Defender 2.0

Not sure if it can be tuned for a flatter shot string. But this is the type of gun I think you want max power on that first shot anyway.

I got the .457 cal. I have an S45 I play with also so I wanted to use the same cal ammo. The first shot is a beast. I've found using round/solid nose ammo with the m50 is the way to go.
I did some testing with ballistic gel and the first shot kind of opens a hollow point but the next 5 don't really expand.
16994634774685436602084245316906.jpg

That's the shots in order from 1 to 6. The top one I cut the inside of the cavity with a dremel so it had score marks going from the base to the tip, it opened up way better. If a rabbid coyote is about to attack you it might leave a mark. :)
I have other guns I would use for serious hunting, the m50 is a really fun "toy" to play with imo.

I did some chrony with 4 different ammos tonight. I'm just estimating the weight because close enough

155 grain Texoma, 170 grain KRS, 145 grain Round Ball, and 185 grain whatever AEA sent

Max power on the 1st shot was about 135 FPE.

Now, I'm not totally disappointed with that on a pistol, but it was certainly oversold as "180 -200 FPE". I'm pretty sure they came up with those numbers when they designed the original 7" barrel, which I did order and specifically ask for. They sent me the 5" which is apparently what everyone got regardless of their preference.

Absolutely still a bad ass air pistol and super accurate, hole-in-hole at 15 yards. But just to be transparent I am planning to put several of my airguns on sale shortly and this may be one of them. For my purposes a lightweight compact rifle is going to get more range time, and I need the cash, so some things have gotta go.

I bought one, I love it. It is very loud. I shot it inside and my ears were ringing for a while. My first shot brings the fill from 300 to 240 bar, it uses a ton of air for the first shot.

Some hammer bounce there is a likely explanation. It was a problem with mine as well - the first shot uses about three or four shots worth of air, and is extra loud as the hammer bounces back-and-forth off the valve

I did some chrony with 4 different ammos tonight. I'm just estimating the weight because close enough

155 grain Texoma, 170 grain KRS, 145 grain Round Ball, and 185 grain whatever AEA sent

Now, I'm not totally disappointed with that on a pistol, but it was certainly oversold as "180 -200 FPE". I'm pretty sure they came up with those numbers when they designed the original 7" barrel, which I did order and specifically ask for. They sent me the 5" which is apparently what everyone got regardless of their preference.

Absolutely still a bad ass air pistol and super accurate, hole-in-hole at 15 yards. But just to be transparent I am planning to put several of my airguns on sale shortly and this may be one of them. For my purposes a lightweight compact rifle is going to get more range time, and I need the cash, so some things have gotta go.
Yes I figured the 180 FPE was over rated with the 5 inch barrel when testing was done with a 7 inch barrel. I was able to special order a 8 inch barrel from Texoma. I will try and post the FPE numbers with the 8 inch. Reasonable price at 150.00

Reactions: Sean Riley
Will that take a mil spec AR-15 style but stock?
No, but I just finished a new adapter that installs in under a minute and allows for AR stocks.

I have no personal experience with AEA but belong to their Facebook group and besides knowing they are made in and shipped from China, they seem to have quality issues from all of the member posts.
It has been my experience that the small number of people with issues do a great deal of talking (The posts are disproportional to the actual issues). The building beside AEA in China makes Huben. China makes most of the PCP air guns and China is one company. I was the national trainer for Interstate Batteries for many years, and in the 65 years that they have been in business, they have never built a single battery. It's amazing what a bit of good marketing can do.

Yes I figured the 180 FPE was over rated with the 5 inch barrel when testing was done with a 7 inch barrel. I was able to special order a 8 inch barrel from Texoma. I will try and post the FPE numbers with the 8 inch. Reasonable price at 150.00

Thanks for the purchase, my favorite is a 10" barrel and six-inch tank, It is still very manageable. Also, I just made a replacement piece for the back that allows for AR stocks to be installed and removed in less than 30 seconds, basically turning it into a short-barrel rifle whenever you want.

Reactions: silvershooter589

I'm certain you didn't buy from me, but I would still be happy to switch out the barrel for a different length if you want (I make all the barrels and air chambers for this). My personal favorite is the six-inch air tank and ten-inch barrel, lots of very accurate shots.

I'm certain you didn't buy from me, but I would still be happy to switch out the barrel for a different length if you want (I make all the barrels and air chambers for this). My personal favorite is the six-inch air tank and ten-inch barrel, lots of very accurate shots.

Wild guess but you must be Jim @ Texoma. Almost bought that first .495 you had for sale but I really wanted the .457 so I held out for BinTac. I do have plenty of your pellets and a few other items sitting around however & always look forward to see what you come up with next.

That does sound like a winning setup with the 6" / 10". I'm actually pleased enough with the power I get from this. And the amount of shots on a fill is good enough... it is what it is... but my one wish would be that the barrel extended to the end of the air tank, and instead of the muzzle break, it would let me attach a moderator there instead.

I was planning on seeing if I could order just that barrel, which I suppose would be between 7-8". (someone around here seems to have misplaced my tape measure) I realize you may have made me a very generous offer to swap barrels. But considering I don't have it in my budget to add the 457 sized moderator now anyway, I may as well just wait until I have a little money down the road, figure out what I really want to do (if anything) and support your business.

Plus you have piqued my interest with some of these upcoming product teases already! Thank you!

Reactions: xsiv4s
There's a pump-action kit for it I think. Which looks and functions great. I do believe it is currently sold out.
I think there are a couple. There is a company that released one in November and I thought AEA released one through a single AEA vendor. I had a guy send me a pic of one he made for the pistol (Shorter rod) and he was working on a side handle to rack it.

Reactions: DonEnzone

that is cool but I am pretty sure it only works with the .357 version so it will not work with the .45 of .50 caliber as there are differences in the design of those which as far as I know nobody has a kit like that which works? If it was a pump action .50 caliber that would be a novel *MOD EDIT - RULE 3* cannon but for me I think I am fine with my GK1 25 cal for pistols and for big power rifles are more my preference...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: xsiv4s