• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What Do You Guys Carry In Your Hunting Pack(Day Pack)?

I'm always looking for new ideas for things to put in my pack that can help me in the field. This is what I carry.

15 ft rope
Tin cup
fishing line and hooks
duct tape
sharpening stone
zip ties
First aid kit
toilet paper (never leave home without it)
Rubber gloves
portable emergency poncho and blanket
folding saw Very useful tool! I use it for cutting brush that obstructs my view and for cutting fire wood.
Parachute cord
Spare pair of glasses
Light Sticks
Compass
Swiss army knife
flash light
asprin
dentalfloss
Hunting license (don't forget that)
Compact binoculars
fire starter kit, magnesium fire starter, matchs, butane lighters
portable gun cleaning kit.

1684701692041236517950.jpg

It really depends upon what and where I’m hunting. One thing’s for sure. If I’m carrying a pack, chances are a gun will be in it unless it’s an extremely long or bulky build. I have some of the things you listed as well. Other things to add would be a tourniquet, a black sharpie marker, and iodine.

The marker is for venomous snake bites. I’ve learned that it’s a good to have to write down the time you were bitten on your skin. The iodine is for animal bites. It’s supposed to help clean an area in the event that one was bitten by an animal that may have been rabid.

Great list and not much to add to it. You've probably covered 95% of things that can go wrong on a short trip. Duct tape, Torch and water filter as mentioned are the things I would take. Depends what's in your first aid kit, tourniquet is a good critical injury fix. In general my thinking would be, if I get lost or hurt, can I stay warm and dry overnight (or not bleed out) waiting for help , or find my way the next day.

Much the same honestly, though I always have a tourniquet, a small note pad with pens and pencils. Then in my med pack I always have a few things of gauze, israeli bandage, and tampons. I know snicker away, but it was something I have carried in my kit since my army times. They are great for large puncture wounds and can be used as a basic water filtration device as well. That and you have a source of sterile cotton for starting fires or other wound treatment.

A good quality knife
Signal mirror
GPS, Compas, and a map
Fire making kit ( matches, ferro rod, kindling, lighter )
Small tool kit
Always ALWAYS have my pistol and at least 3-4 spare magazines.

Wow. You must be going far afield, maybe on overnighters on BLM or Forest Service land. I am an old Boy Scout, so "Be Prepared" is in my genes, but that's a lot of stuff if you are just going out to "shoot airguns" or spank a few ground squirrels. But if hunting deer, hogs or black bear, it begins to make sense.
My list looks like a lot of stuff but the items are small and light. The pack does not weigh much. I use this same set up for any kind of hunting I do. Big or small game and whether I'm staying local or going on a longer trip. The pack also goes with me on road trips.
I just weighed the pack and without food and water it comes in at 8.5lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHOMER