• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A What do you advise? Brands.

As with many sports different Brands come to mind. What is a Brand/Brands of Air rifle do you recommend shying away from? There are so many it's hard to keep all of the names straight. Are there certain ones that you personally avoid, and encourage others to do the same? With Newbies like Myself, what brands come to mind that you would avoid? This could be a big help to many. Thanks.

It’s not the brand it’s what happens after the sale thats THE most important. You want a manufacturer to have good service and parts available after they take your money. I won’t brand bash because every brand offers something for different people. I have my reasons why I stick with Edgun but others have other brands they’re loyal to for whatever reason. Just make sure there’s parts and service available oh and make sure there’s a good return policy

FX Airguns.

They are overcomplicated, delicate, and grossly overpriced. Quality control is lacking and has been for several years. And the parts availability situation seems to always be up in the air.

Wherever they go, a falling out seems to ensue sooner or later.

For a guy new to airguns or someone looking for an out of the box performer, I think they would be a poor choice.

FX Airguns.

They are overcomplicated, delicate, and grossly overpriced. Quality control is lacking and has been for several years. And the parts availability situation seems to always be up in the air.

For a guy new to airguns or someone looking for an out of the box performer, I think they would be a poor choice.
I no longer own FX not because of service or parts but the slightly more complicated way it’s tuned. I’m not a tuner nor do I want to spend a week tuning. You can shoot them as is but sooner or later the regulator or something will fail which at that point you have to re tune. Simple is king in my life.

Parts availability and service issues is all I read about. No manufacturer is imune, the business model today is not the model of years past. Premium guns cost a premium for a reason but are they worth 4 or 5 times the price for a whisker better in accuracy? That needs to be determined by the users needs, is it for plinking, hunting, or entering matches?

Don't forget that the "FX bashers" are usually making statements based upon limited experience with only 1 or 2 of their more complicated platforms & then see fit to call ALL of their guns trash! I'm not a fan of some of the platforms but TOTALLY love the ones I own (Bobcat, Boss, Royale). In 7 years I've never had problems with the customer service or on the RARE occasion I've needed a part! I've got 3 of the most accurate out of the box shooters anyone could hope to own!!!

Don't forget that the "FX bashers" are usually making statements based upon limited experience with only 1 or 2 of their more complicated platforms & then see fit to call ALL of their guns trash! I'm not a fan of some of the platforms but TOTALLY love the ones I own (Bobcat, Boss, Royale). In 7 years I've never had problems with the customer service or on the RARE occasion I've needed a part! I've got 3 of the most accurate out of the box shooters anyone could hope to own!!!
The less complicated stuff I’m all for👍they sure make an accurate and smooth product

Reactions: orangeokie
I love my FX guns. One of my go-to brands.

These days I tend to automatically avoid many of the Eastern European guns. You can tell just by looking at them. Most of them tend to be very accurate and reasonably high quality, but for me they also tend to be heavy, clunky and over-engineered to the point where simple operation can be a hassle. Many are also missing basic safety features, IMO. At least that was common in years past. It does seem they have gotten a bit better over the years, though. So perhaps I will revisit at some point.

FX Airguns.

I have had zero reliability issues with the three FX rifles I have owned. My latest is just a couple weeks old. Fingers crossed.

Amen!

Anything mechanical will break. Likewise, such a contraption needs routine maintenance. New owners who come from a firearm background may be disappointed in the maintenance that some air rifles require. Depending on your level of interest and competency in mechanical stuff, access to a reliable source of parts and repair will vary from a minor need, to an absolute requirement. For one's first air rifle, I believe it makes good sense to buy from a dealer with a proven reputation for service and parts, including the designation of an authorized warranty service center. If the dealer says, "don't worry about warranty service, we'll return it for you and the maker's techs will make it good", run, don't walk from that dealer. Most makers seem to accommodate loose arrangements with their dealers, and are not very demanding of training or parts inventory. Unfortunately, that places a burden on the consumer, so proceed with caution.

I love my FX guns. One of my go-to brands.

These days I tend to automatically avoid many of the Eastern European guns. You can tell just by looking at them. Most of them tend to be very accurate and reasonably high quality, but for me they also tend to be heavy, clunky and over-engineered to the point where simple operation can be a hassle. Many are also missing basic safety features, IMO. At least that was common in years past. It does seem they have gotten a bit better over the years, though. So perhaps I will revisit at some point.

@Spartan , that’s funny, I’m just the opposite as you, most of my collection is Eastern European, the best of the best in my opinion, but yes, they do usually run on the heavy side.