What do u prefer to hunt with pellets or slugs

Hardairmagazine did an excellent study on pellet penetration awhile back.

Airgun Pellet Penetration – The Real Story
https://hardairmagazine.com/ham-columns/airgun-pellet-penetration-the-real-story/
This month, HAM Technical Editor Bob Sterne talks about airgun pellet penetration. In this article he will give some answers about why pellets perform the way they do. Airgun hunters – in particular – will find this an interesting discussion!

After our pellet or slug reaches the target, assuming you are not just shooting at a paper target, we are interested in how that pellet performs.

Does it penetrate far enough to reach vital organs? Does it pass through completely? Does it expand and deliver more of its energy to the target?

-

They did their study based on what a 20 fpe, .22 airgun is capable of. My only criticism of the study is of the medium they used. They used what they call 'melt & pour soap'. OTOH, even 10% ballistic gelatin has its faults as it is slightly harder than actual flesh. This can give erroneous results ... penetration is less and HP's expand more than what the projectile would do in flesh.

I use both. The .357 Polymags are extremely accurate in my Benjamin Bulldog, but after 50 yards, they start to lose a fair amount of energy. So I prefer to use slugs after 50 yards due to slugs having a much higher ballistics coefficient. NSA is my preferred brand in the following weights:

1.  79gr .358 for flat trajectory and for no over penetration.
  2. 110gr .358 for a good all around slug.
  3. 142gr ,357 for long range shooting, although moving a tad slow out of my stock bulldog.
    [/LIST=1]

I find AA 16 gr sighted in at 25 yards to be the best compromise for my Crosman NP2 .22 Summit Ranger. AA18 gr hits harder and penetrates a wee bit further at 25-30 yard; but, they drop too much at 50 yards for my liking. Strangely, they have about the same kick as a .243 Winchester too. AA 16 gr at 20 fpe from the SR doesn't kick and has a better trajectory if I have to make a longer shot.
HAM-22-cal--20-FPE-Penetration-3.1626652428.jpg

All my pesting or hunting is sub 100 yards, 90% inside of 60 yards, nothing bigger than a woodchuck. Pellets do what I need done, while slugs are tempting I just don't need to use them. If I really needed slugs? Out comes my CZ452 .22 LR, shorts, CB Caps, sub sonics... Lots of choices thank goodness.

Pretty much what I was going to write. Rarely shoot past 50 yards, pellets sufficient. Break out CZ452 .22 LR with CCI Stinger or .17 HMR toward 100 yards. 

I've always used pellets. Until this month. 

For 3 weeks we had been at our daughter's in upstate Montana. Almost everyday my son in law and I would go into the woods and shoot red squirrels or in the field and shoot ground squirrels. I had purchased 150 Mako 10.5gr. .177 slugs to try in my HW100BP-K. They don't group as small as Polymags at 50 yards, but they buck the wind so much better, and that loud satisfying "pop" at impact says you hit what you were aiming at.

Longest kill on a ground squirrel was 73 yards. Not bad for a 17 fpe gun.