• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning What do I adjust to reduce the noise from the hammer.

If the sound you seek to reduce is the actual impact of the hammer against the valve stem, you can drill the nose of the hammer and set a PEEK stub in it.

For reasons I can't quite explain, I have found that it not only subdues the impact noise but it also improves the extreme spread. For example in this QB HPA conversion, it reduced the ES by 50%.

If the sound you seek to reduce is the actual impact of the hammer against the valve stem, you can drill the nose of the hammer and set a PEEK stub in it.

For reasons I can't quite explain, I have found that it not only subdues the impact noise but it also improves the extreme spread. For example in this QB HPA conversion, it reduced the ES by 50%.

I'd recon due to less bounce. If you could look real close at really high speed, I think you'd see bounce with the steel, VS more of a push type of actuation with the peek

Hey nervous, what's a peek stub? Does drilling out and installing one somehow make the hammer more stable, or lighter, thus improving ES? Thats impressive.

Just referring to center drilling a pocket in the face of the hammer to accept a press-fit cylinder of PEEK plastic.

Depending on the fraction of material you replace, it will result in more or less of a weight reduction but nothing to the extent of what is generally regarded as a "lightweight hammer" made entirely (or nearly so) of MDS nylon or PEEK. Doing that will usually require other changes like making the poppet easier to unseat, increasing hammer stroke, more hammer spring tension...or some combination thereof. Advantages of that are things like improved lock time, a calmer shot cycle (cleaner followthrough), less valve dwell (softer report, potentially better efficiency), and so on.

My Impact II with PP hammer noise is louder than the muzzle blast. I would like to reduce the noise. I don't understand the relationship between the hammer adjustment behind the bottle and this hammer noise. Is there a video about this adjustment.

Thanks,

Dave E

What are you trying to do or why do you need the gun to be that quiet? Neighbors? If you got neighbors that close then it's probably a good idea to get an ultra low power gun that is uber mouse fart quiet instead of trying to mess up your Impact tune. Another problem is if you get the hammer noise fixed somehow then you will hear the pellet impact noise even if it's just hitting paper, then the danger of more than 6-7 fpe in any urban/suburban settings.