• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What distance do you zero your scope?

For my particular rifle, pellet and velocity I like to zero at 43 yards, that puts it on at about 20 and approximately 3/8" high at 30 and 5/8" low at 50. That's with a Weihrauch HW100S shooting a JSB 18 at around 985 fps. Any squirrels inside of 50 yards missed are my fault.

Each particular velocity and pellet, plus the purpose it's used for, will determine how to set your zeroing distance. What works perfectly for me might not for someone else. A ballistic calculator will show you what varying zero points does to the trajectory then you can test shoot to confirm and adjust to suit.

Reactions: Bandito and DougH.
Here's a couple of dope charts from Strelok showing a 40 yard zero with both a slow and a fast pellet, in .22 Crosman 14.3gr. With a 40 yard zero there's just over a pellet's thickness of hold under on target or game for both speeds at 30 yards. The third chart shows the elevation/trajectory yard by yard within an inch from 15 to 45 yards. With a 40 yard zero I see these in terms of holding two pellets high up close at 15, one pellet low at 30, and two pellets high out at 45. Beyond those parameters and the actual yardage and holdover or dialing matter.
Screenshot_20231012-230901~2.png
Screenshot_20231012-231115~2.png
Screenshot_20231012-232140~2.png

Reactions: Bandito
every fps and scope height will have an ideal zero to take maximum advantage of the projectile flight arc .. this is assuming you dont have fixed distance targets where you can go off of the math from a zero at any distance .. but for pesting in the real world you wont be twisting turrets and getting out the ballistic calc lol .. youll want 'the best' overall zero that covers the most distance with a 'point blank' dead-on crosshair, typically from 10-50yds ... ive found for most airguns in the 900fps range it will be close to a 20yd zero ... adjust the distance a yd at a time to put it about 1/2" low at 50 ...once youve established that, the projectile flight will stay close to 1/2" out up/down at any given point from ~10-50 .... lower speeds will reduce the yds in the whole equation, 700fps may be a 15yd zero with a terminal of 40 to keep it within that 1/2" ... or if you tighten your allowance up/down to 1/4" out it also reduces it .. but 1/2" generally works well on squirrel or larger .. then, if yoire outside yoir range, closer or further its 'always' holdover, and as you get a feel for it you can stretch it further .. except on steep inclines. that will tend to shoot higher than normal, or require no holdover even 10-20 yds past the zone ..

Last edited:
Only those who have shot or understand the Field target game where the utmost in shot placement is key truly get it IMO :rolleyes:
Close within a +/- of ideal will not cut it !!! When each shot you take is at a differing distance, exact theoretical POI data is priceless ;)
I truly don’t think one has to be proficient in field target to comprehend shot placement and trajectory. Anyone can if they apply themselves, regardless of caliber or velocity. If you’re familiar enough with your weapon and discipline, the only limitation is the effective range of the weapon being used.

Reactions: DNF and Bandito
I truly don’t think one has to be proficient in field target to comprehend shot placement and trajectory. Anyone can if they apply themselves, regardless of caliber or velocity. If you’re familiar enough with your weapon and discipline, the only limitation is the effective range of the weapon being used.
We all do what works best for us .... :unsure:

Reactions: Bandito and DougH.
every fps and scope height will have an ideal zero to take maximum advantage of the projectile flight arc .. this is assuming you dont have fixed distance targets where you can go off of the math from a zero at any distance .. but for pesting in the real world you wont be twisting turrets and getting out the ballistic calc lol .. youll want 'the best' overall zero that covers the most distance with a 'point blank' dead-on crosshair, typically from 10-50yds ... ive found for most airguns in the 900fps range it will be close to a 20yd zero ... adjust the distance a yd at a time to put it about 1/2" low at 50 ...once youve established that, the projectile flight will stay close to 1/2" out up/down at any given point from ~10-50 .... lower speeds will reduce the yds in the whole equation, 700fps may be a 15yd zero with a terminal of 40 to keep it within that 1/2" ... or if you tighten your allowance up/down to 1/4" out it also reduces it .. but 1/2" generally works well on squirrel or larger .. then, if yoire outside yoir range, closer or further its 'always' holdover, and as you get a feel for it you can stretch it further .. except on steep inclines. that will tend to shoot higher than normal, or require no holdover even 10-20 yds past the zone ..
I agree. The center to center scope/bore height can greatly affect what you are stating. I’ve had rifles with over 3” scope height over bore. I now have 2.49” scope height over bore and have found it easier to cover a longer point blank yardage span using the PBR method. I am now sighted in for my first zero at 25yds. I know I can pretty much hold dead on in a pesting situation from 15-50 yds, yielding 1/2-3/4” low on either side of the spectrum. Good comment.