• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What criteria should I use for choosing a PCP rifle dealer?

I know....kind of an oddball question....sorry for cluttering up the forum. Not sure if this belongs in general, or PCP....but I am asking about a PCP air rifle dealer specifically.

I am a 5 hour drive away from the closest dive shop, and 10 hours from closest business that resembles a PCP air rifle dealer....how do I go about selecting a dealer to use to make my first production/retail PCP rifle purchase?

Not naming any brands but, I have looked on some manufacturer's websites for dealer locators....and there are usually several listed. Some with multiple known good dealers.

How should I go about picking the right good dealer? Should I go by closest geographically? Or?????

If it's not AOA or Utah Airguns then don't buy from them. They are the only people I can think of who won't blow smoke in your ear to sell you a gun. I also buy from PY Air and Airgun Depot...but no where else. Most the people out there don't deserve your money. I forgot: SPAW is OK too and the guys at Baker Airguns are also honest. -Nate @ Airgun Channel

Primary places to go -

Georgia Airguns - one man shop, knows how to tune, very knowledgeable, and...is a nice guy. Takes the time to verify that your gun is what it's supposed to be, No leaks, can hit the bullseye, etc.

Airguns of Arizona - While you hardly ever talk to the same person, unless you write his name on something. Nice folks, They check your gun before shipping.

Utah Airguns - While you hardly ever talk to the same person, unless you write his name on something. Mostly nice folks, but can be a little pushy. They check your gun before shipping.

Secondary place to go -

Pyramyd Air - Very hit and miss with the sales, and the "help" guys. Not a normal place for guns, though the one's that I have bought from them have been good. You have to "pay extra" for the check / inspection that the other guys do as part of the basic price. If no one else has a gun, check Pyramyd. Good place to go for parts, other "things" and ammo.

Edgun West - Mostly a good experience, but has a habit of not answering emails or phone calls. Nice guy when you catch him in a good mood.

Bad experience

Talon Tunes - Shipped a badly broken gun case with an expensive rifle. Would not answer the phone (three calls), would not answer emails (three emails). I gave up. And yes, the gun case left his shop broken. The double "shipping box" was in VERY good condition. NO dents at all in the area of the broken corner of the plastic gun case.

No experience with a few other known shops.

MIke

Be sure to check out their returns policy. Not to become a serial returner or anything, but there may occur certain situations where you need to return the gun for whatever legit reason, so I would check this out first.

If you need to drive five hours to fill a tank, look into a hand pump (depending upon the fill capacity of the gun this may be a reasonable way to fill) or else a small personal compressor with known reliability.

There are a lot of "dealers" out there. Only a handful of them are distributors or master dealers that have the capability of full service, repair, and warranty work. Ask the dealer, specifically, what happens if there is an issue under warranty, and routine repair work, if necessary. If the answer is, "just send it back and we'll take care of it", ask what that means. Most of these rifles are of European origin, so it's good to understand the inventory and supply chain status of the dealer.

If it's not AOA or Utah Airguns then don't buy from them. They are the only people I can think of who won't blow smoke in your ear to sell you a gun. I also buy from PY Air and Airgun Depot...but no where else. Most the people out there don't deserve your money. I forgot: SPAW is OK too and the guys at Baker Airguns are also honest. -Nate @ Airgun Channel

AOA guys are great.

I would steer clear of the Joe B guy.

Primary places to go -

Georgia Airguns - one man shop, knows how to tune, very knowledgeable, and...is a nice guy. Takes the time to verify that your gun is what it's supposed to be, No leaks, can hit the bullseye, etc.

Airguns of Arizona - While you hardly ever talk to the same person, unless you write his name on something. Nice folks, They check your gun before shipping.

Utah Airguns - While you hardly ever talk to the same person, unless you write his name on something. Mostly nice folks, but can be a little pushy. They check your gun before shipping.

Secondary place to go -

Pyramyd Air - Very hit and miss with the sales, and the "help" guys. Not a normal place for guns, though the one's that I have bought from them have been good. You have to "pay extra" for the check / inspection that the other guys do as part of the basic price. If no one else has a gun, check Pyramyd. Good place to go for parts, other "things" and ammo.

Edgun West - Mostly a good experience, but has a habit of not answering emails or phone calls. Nice guy when you catch him in a good mood.

Bad experience

Talon Tunes - Shipped a badly broken gun case with an expensive rifle. Would not answer the phone (three calls), would not answer emails (three emails). I gave up. And yes, the gun case left his shop broken. The double "shipping box" was in VERY good condition. NO dents at all in the area of the broken corner of the plastic gun case.

MIke

Just wow on the Talon Tunes. Good to know and glad I just canceled an FX from Tony.

Primary places to go -

Secondary place to go -

Bad experience

MIke

Great info. Thanks for providing this detail. Looking to buy a second PCP so will use this info during my search.