What constitutes the higher prices for higher end rifles? I am going to try and see for myself…

Not likely to be fair in his defense…it’s a good bit cheaper than a .357 Impact. Also, you can tinker with the Kral too. Anyways, the rifle itself will tell the story…I’ll have you up to date! I have a scope cam for shots so I can have proof.
The video you provide would be awesome! It's not necessary for me to believe what you say though, as everyone here have no ill will.

Reactions: Maizen
The video you provide would be awesome! It's not necessary for me to believe what you say though, as everyone here have no ill will.
Damn right. That’s why I love the air rifle community. Btw, I may be the youngest one here who has had the privilege to purchase that many FX rifles at the young old age of 21…maybe it’s just stupidity. I justify it because it’s my hobby! Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: N2 Shooter
Not sure if your airgun experience has enough depth that you have shot unregulated rifles. If not, you’re in for a surprise. Guys complain about the “tink” coming from their little regulated bullpups. When you pull the trigger on that Kral, you’re gonna be wondering if it ate a bad burrito. The only thing that can match a FX guy who can’t leave his gun alone with pellets over a chronograph is tuning an unregulated rifle. As you play with hammer spring settings and fill pressures, you are going to be sending some lead. If you do mods it’s even worse. But it’s a good learning experience. Don’t think you can’t make an unregulated Kral shoot as good as most guys Mavericks, you can. But after you get your spring, fill and refill sorted, now you rely on the barrel machining quality. One things for sure, you have a real barrel and no reg so the first shot or shots are always spot on. Once you figure out how to get there. Could be easy. And now you’ll know what hammer bounce sounds like.

Reactions: Sergey1972 and 2L8
Not sure if your airgun experience has enough depth that you have shot unregulated rifles. If not, you’re in for a surprise. Guys complain about the “tink” coming from their little regulated bullpups. When you pull the trigger on that Kral, you’re gonna be wondering if it ate a bad burrito. The only thing that can match a FX guy who can’t leave his gun alone with pellets over a chronograph is tuning an unregulated rifle. As you play with hammer spring settings and fill pressures, you are going to be sending some lead. If you do mods it’s even worse. But it’s a good learning experience. Don’t think you can’t make an unregulated Kral shoot as good as most guys Mavericks, you can. But after you get your spring, fill and refill sorted, now you rely on the barrel machining quality. One things for sure, you have a real barrel and no reg so the first shot or shots are always spot on. Once you figure out how to get there. Could be easy. And now you’ll know what hammer bounce sounds like.
So I asked Krale (not Kral but the website Krale) about whether it’s regulated or not…apparently it has some unique regulating system in it that works as a regulator. They called it a “consistency valve.” Not sure how that will fair, but we shall see. I’m going to guess it won’t be as good as a regulator, but again I’ll have to make sure. It should be better than a straight up unregulated PCP like my Walther Reign. Last but not least, yes as you said…the end result will probably come down to which has a better barrel. Funny enough I was actually contemplating how I would fit an FX liner haha. In the barrel business, FX is arguably ahead of all competitors.

Last edited:
Quality on the details of finishing each piece of the rifles make the difference in amount of time invested in it's manufacture.

That is where everybody distinguish a plus in an Evol over any other rifle.

The final performance of a particular cheap rifle could, for some shots, equal the group of an Evol or a Daystate Delta Wolf.... It could. But that does not mean that it is as good or that it will last the same with the adequate performance.

Quality implies reliability over years and years of use.

You may find reliability on any Airgun Technology rifle, any Evol as well as on all mechanical Daystate rifle.

I distinguish mechanical from electronic Daystate rifle not because there could be a lack of quality control on a electronic rifle but because electronics may not have the same reliability and long lasting as iron made parts. I say this knowing that now a days when we drive our cars or travel in a plane, we put our life's in a machine controlled by a computer.

But yes, for sure, a bad quality air rifle could have more killing power than a FX Maverick.......... if you use it like a baseball bat to hit the head of a cow.

Last edited:
You know…I’ve always been quite spoiled with higher end PCP rifles. It’s my own money of course, but all four of my past PCPs have been .25 cal FX rifles and all cost me a pretty penny. But a few days back I thought…hmmmm…you know I’ve never tried the rifles that are cheaper and yet produce the same power. So I put some money down on a Kral Arms Puncher Bighorn…it’s in .25 cal and it’s allegedly producing 60 foot pounds which means it’s pushing 34 grain JSBs to around 900 FPS just as my Maverick is tuned.

A brand new $630 PCP producing the same power as a Maverick…means I paid about $1000 less for the same performance right…? Well, we shall see. I want to be an unbiased judge for this. I have seen no discussion on the .25 cal Bighorn…only .357 cal. Will update.

View attachment 293519
I also went straight to the “top end” rifles and sometimes think if I should have started on the lower end or what trade offs there are on lower priced rifles. Looking forward to what you find.

If it's regulated, you may get decent accuracy to go along with that power. But in my opinion, what we get from the Maverick is investment in a highly tunable platform, not just a good airgun. That $1000 buys us the following:

• Interchangeable barrel liners.
  • Swappable barrel lengths.
  • Changing calibers.
  • Dual regulators.
  • Interchangeable pellet probes.
  • Factory barrel stiffener and liner systems.
These attributes ensure your Maverick will hold its value against the competition. And, the Maverick can produce as much power in the .30cal as the BigHorn can produce in .357.
I know what you are saying and changing barrels length, liners and caliber on a rifle is great but it’s that what you are paying for the cost to change caliber or barrel length you could nearly buy a whole lower priced rifle in a different configuration and have switch back and forth much easier. I have an impact and so far I like it but it’s not all roses. I say all this without having tested lower priced rifles so I’m interested to hear what OPs thoughts are.

When I got back into airguns big time 5-6 years ago I started out with the lower end line. PRod, Evanix Rainstorm 2,etc. There is nothing wrong with these ariguns, they work, they shoot, they are generally pretty accurate. But, they are not refined. Triggers are rough, frame parts made of pot metal, most need a little TLC to have a smoother action, getting a good to great barrel is a lottery, adjustability is usually down to just a hammer spring tune.

Not knowing much I asked on GTA for a rec for something a bit nicer at not too high a cost and the Taipan Vet was the overall winner. So I got one even though, at the time, paying over $1k for an air rifle was hard to swallow. I was blown away by everything about it. Regulators, nice magazines, ergonimics, anti-double feed, more solid construction feel, etc etc.

Fast forward 5 years and I have tried, kept and sold a whole bunch of airguns to the point I cannot remember them all. Most of them have been mid to higher tier with some lower end mixed in. Of these I've kept a handful of the mid tier and a few higher tier. This discussion seems to be mostly lower end compared to an FX, but I don't have FX mainly due to shooting lefty. The guns that I have kept are because I look forward to picking them up and shooting them because they have excellent triggers, ergonomics that fit me, a higher level of fit and finish, better magazines.

The biggest conflict I see is buying a $6-700 airgun and then spending another $500 to make it better. Why not buy a better airgun to begin with.

Of course the law of diminishing returns fully applies here. When you go from $600 to $1200 there is a big jump in overall refinement and performance. Going up to the $2000 range will get your more refinement, maybe some swappable barrels, but the changes aren't as large as from the low to mid tier shift. From $2000 up you are paying for much smaller gains or extremely luxury features. Just my experience.

I think you may have missed my point.

Most people don't go around swapping calibers or barrel lengths on airguns that have that option. But with these options, are a higher resale value, if you decide you want something else down the road. I bet I'd sell my Maverick at 75% of new a whole lot faster than I'd sell my Bulldog at 75% of new.

Who cares if you can get a cheap gun, if you have to mostly keep the tune the gun gives you out of the box? Tofazfou did a review of the gun in .357, and he damn near had to rebuild the entire gun before he was able to get it to perform as he desired. Swapped out the barrel with a custom machined TJ barrel, drilled the transfer port, and a whole bunch of other work. I bet when it was all said and done, he spent more than an Impact .357 would have cost, and the gun that he has is a one off. How long did all of that take to accomplish?

If you are happy with out of the box performance, then good one you. But this hobby has a boatload of people that like to tinker, just like motorheads liked to drop a twin turbo and Nitrous bottle into a VW Beetle for the ultimate sleeper. It's just a massive part of the culture.
Let me check my math. 25 percent of $2200 is $550. Barrel kits are $399. Barrel liners are $109. I can just throw the Benjamin in the trash. Sorry, I could resist yanking your chain. I know that the tinkerers are abound in this hobby and good for them. It's still cheaper than golf. Tee hee.

, Justification, why is it such a large part of spending money? Tell me this, what is the difference in tinkering with this or that, it is still tinkering is it not?
I am that guy who gradually spends money on getting something cheap to fit my needs;it suits my wallet better.
Many can not spend $2000 on an air gun,or do not want to.
Why is it so hard to accept what the poster is trying to do,I think it is great,wish more would do it.

I love the "buy once, cry once" crowd. I watch there top-tier guns show up in the classifieds 6 months after they buy them in search for another.

My personal satisfaction is key, I accomplish that by taking my time and solving issues with guns I own and saving up for an established known shooter.
What would be your top choice for a quality 25 cal rifle that doesn’t break the bank?

Reactions: Firewalker
Damn right. That’s why I love the air rifle community. Btw, I may be the youngest one here who has had the privilege to purchase that many FX rifles at the young old age of 21…maybe it’s just stupidity. I justify it because it’s my hobby! Lol.
I justify it because it’s my hobby! How can you put a price on happiness ?

Reactions: mercado and Maizen
I think you may have missed my point.

But this hobby has a boatload of people that like to tinker, just like motorheads liked to drop a twin turbo and Nitrous bottle into a VW Beetle for the ultimate sleeper. It's just a massive part of the culture.
Hey !! , I resemble that remark :ROFLMAO:

think about this , it is still on track in this thread . My neighbor bought an $80K Bass boat, This boat can do 52 mph on the water. Can it catch fish ? NO!
Asking my neighbor why he spent 80k ? ................................ He just smiled .

👆👆👆👆👆 we humans don’t need why to do something, we only need why to justify/rationalize what we did afterwards!

CAN we justify an expensive gun? HELL NO!!!

Do/will we WANT to justify an expensive gun? FU*K YEAH!!!!

Not to endorse alcoholism but……..
1664551524141.gif

Last edited:
I see a lot of emotion tied up in what the OP is going to do. It makes me wonder why people get all gassy about a guy making a video and posting what his opinion is.

You do you
Him does him
I do me

I applaud the spirit of exploration of the OP. Try some new stuff instead of blindly following the "cool kids". I have always liked the underdog, but I am weird like that.