What compressor to try next?

Well anyone that reads this form knows all my problems trying at dealing with Tuxing & trying to get them to warranty my new burn up compressor on start up. OK this post is 

for all those people out their who have been through this China nightmare with these compressors & can,t pay for a Hill or top brand as me. This will not help you guys filling

large tanks but it will your guns & can in remote places. These pump can be rebuilt with a $12 kit from Amazon & one hour of your time. This is very close to the one I,m 

making. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFtjR53sxno

Fly

Yes it would, but I,m told from a fellow who has one being it,s not pumping that fast they do not heat up like you would think. I shall see & let you guys know. I have my tubing & 

everything to finish it, I hope by the end of next week. Mind will be built much like that one. Some make them with the rifle standing up. But I like it at ground level. Easy to 

hall & no worry of the rifle falling down. He told me he can fill a Hatsan flash in about 5 min. Not bad. I have a box fan I plan using also. One reason I kept some of my Machine tools 

for my retirement.. Gives me space also from my boss of my house plus she likes me staying out of her way, unless she wants me to do something. I just say I will get to it when I,m 

threw here (wink) I never get threw.

Fly

That's neat! What motor and gear box is used and where do you source them? 

The tube will get warm as the presure increases. You will see that when you top off a gun with high presure requirements. When doing a typical airgun it's no big deal. I've been lazy as of late, not wanting to fight traffic and not filling my fill tank at JB. So I pump my fill tank the last three trips to the range with my 2 hand pumps. After about 100 pumps I let them rest and cool off. The pumps are surprisingly durable as long as they are lubed. I finally changed most of the orings in mine recently (about 18 months) when I started to notice it taking more pumps to fill than normal.

Since it is a hand pump it will collect moisture and a lot more than you think, use a good filter and water separator, but try to keep the size small as now you have to fill the volume of that chamber and it takes time. It helps the water escape first if you have the bleed screw at the lowest point.

If the motor is powerful enough and you want to really shorten fill times find the intake of the hand pump and plumb some air pressure into it, only put in enough pressure as not to blow the seals or stall the motor. I've used as high as 60 psi with great success. 

Oh one other thing I'm not sure if you are aware of how powerful that motor is but it can be. In order to push that pump up to 300 bar it needs to be able to force well over 200 pounds down on each stroke. Watch your fingers, hands, and limbs! I use a big red stop button within easy to reach if something goes wrong. 

20220129_112233.1643486001.jpg

Because the pump has more power than you can pump DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM THE UNIT! It can easily get well over 6000 psi. A blow off disk is a good idea otherwise hopefully only a seal gets blown.

Oh, as far as getting a 3 stage versus a 4 stage. I would say get the three as there is less pumping. Get the 4 if you think your motor is not strong enough. 

https://www.airgunnation.com/members/blackice/ has more long term experience when it comes to using a automated hand pump. I think he has had his for several years before I made my dual pump setup. I tend to abuse mine a little more. Especially since I used it to pump up my fill tank.

Allen

If you shoot a lot. Don't want to spend your time fussing with a compressor. Bite the bullet and get an Omega turbo charger. All the air you could want and for me, a trouble free two years of fast charging with no down time.

Sorry charley. $2100 for filling a air rifle is just showing off. I do this for fun not get attention.😃

Fly

Before I bought a good compressor- Coltri- I hand pumped for years. The amount of air gun shooting I could do was directly tied to pumping cylinders. After I burned up my second Hill pump I bought a dive tank. Then after driving an hour one way to drop off my tank for a fill (no filling while you wait), driving home, and returning- about once every three weeks I realized that buying a compressor was cheaper in the long run. My point, I wish I had bought the compressor in the first place. Happy shooting!

I hear what you are saying. But if I must spend $2000 on a compressor to fill my Pcp rifles I will sell them and go back to shooting springers. I love shooting my collection of ww2 

Rifles also my black powder guns in fact I make my own black powder to shoot in them. Over the last 5 years are

so I got hooked on the air rifle stuff. But I will never get into this 

As some of you guys do. I think it is great some do. To each there own but for me no matter which type of shooting I do, there must be a ceiling to how's far I go and i,m about there.

with these guns. I love shooting them and plan to do some hog hunting with my new big bore hear in east okla.

JMOHOP Fly

This is an expensive sport. Twenty years ago top quality PCPs sold for $500-1,000. Now new cost for name brands is $1,500-3,400. Add the cost of scopes, rings, carbon fiber fill tanks, bipods, moderators, pellets, slugs, cases, compressors, and it isn't a wallet friendly pastime.

If someone owns several PCPs and uses lots of air it is less costly over time to buy a quality $2500 and higher compressor. The alternatve is to continue to buy budget compressors that require constant maintenance, repairs, and stil break down. Economy priced compressors aren't built to last. A hidden cost of low priced compressors is all of the Rube Goldberg add ons requred to make them able to produce dry air Filter housings, water separators, shelving, connection fittings, etc. make a cheap compressor less of a savings than a compressor that includes these features. High pressure air stresses the components of an economy priced compressor. Add up the total cost, headaches, time lost from breakdowns. replacement compressor costs, and 100% depreciation. The buyer could have owned a reliable compressor with that money.

The other detail a purchaser forgets when they don't consider a reliable compressor is name brand resale value. I expect to get a minimum of 10 years of headache free service from an Alkin W31. I am confident that if I sell it in ten years it will still be worth a high percentage of its original cost. Prices of quality compressors depreciate slowly if maintained properly. That means my long term cost of ownership is much less than buying and maintaining multiple economy compressors. I've opted for a reliable compressor rather than one more PCP.

I'm not suggesting someone new to the sport buy a high priced compressor. Get a tank, find a local fill source, and if the sport appeals to you enough to own several quality PCP's, then buy the best compressor you can. A sports car owner doesn't buy regular gas for his Porsches. A patient buyer can find deals on used compressors. Forum classifieds and Craigslist can help when searching for a used Bauer, Alkin, or Coltri if a new one is beyond your budget. A 20 year old Bauer is a better compressor than 5 cheap imports.

Steve is right though. The more you get into the sport the more you find your needs changing. You can over buy now and it will be easy to sell a good compressor. Or you can modify and add on as needed ultimately spending a lot more money in the end. 

Right now, the hobby itself, is a rabbit hole. For me this is all part of the fun. I have planned in my head a additional hand pump for a total of 3 hand pumps and increasing the force of my pneumatic pump to at least 760 lbs. It will probably blow up but, when I am tired of my monster of contraption it is not going to be worth anything and most likely just be thrown out in the trash or recycling. Hopefully no one will get hurt because as you know compressed air by nature can be dangerous. By that time I hopefully have the tinkering out of my system. I maybe be a little frustrated but I'll make the call to a alkin dealer and give him the cc number. 

Allen

Let me ask you fellows in the know. How good is say, a $1200 Hill pump? I want nothing to do with china made pumps again. A Hatsan pump? or one of those in that price range?

Fly

Hatsan compressors are imported from China and labeled Hatsan. Hatsan has already dropped their Lightning compressor due to excessive warranty claim failures. 

Hill Compressors are made in Sheffield, UK, not China. I had high hopes for Hill until they raised their price from $1K to $1,200 and I saw the prices they are charging for basic replacement parts. Deacon_Blues is correct that Hill compressors seal with rubber o-rings which wear out much faster if used to fill tanks. All of the commercial diver quality compressors use steel piston rings for long term durability. Hill compressors are made for guys who want to direct fill PCPs rather than filling tanks.

I bought a used Coltri mch-6 for $1500. It had 22 hours on it when I got it. I had been through 2 used shoeboxes (and rebuilds), 2 Yong hengs (and an attempted rebuild) and a Hatsan sparc before that. 

Having a good compressor is a must in my opinion, but I’ve also got 15 Airguns and half of them are big bores. You can’t shoot a whole lot with a weak compressor or a hand pump. 

In fact, with a lot of guns filling to 300 bar now, I also added an extreme booster to my choices. I really like only having to take one tank to the range now instead of lugging two or three 60 minute tanks all the time.

I agree with the above poster who said it’s his main hobby and he doesn’t mind spending money on it. Some guys spend 10’s of thousands of dollars on their bass boats or dedicated 4x4 rigs. That’s the way I look at it too. 

I do think that homemade pump is cool though…. It’s a little slow for my tastes but it is still cool.

What great info from you fellows, I truly thank you for your insight into this topic. I,m in no way a canigate for such a expensive compressor as yours.I just do not shoot enough to

Justify that.but if i did I can totally understand why you do. not knowing the difference be tween the reference between the top tear compressors and the average Joe lunch bucket 

So to speak shooters compressor demands is huge. I truly wish some one could manufacture a in between compressor for guys as me. When I just spent over $300 for a China 

Made compressor that sparked and cooked the motor coils on first try at no falt of mind..

And can't get the manufacturer to even contact me back? Well you can see how I can feel

About this issue. I,m a retired fellow an living on a fixed income so to speak. But this kind of thing has to hurt the Pcp industry in the future when the new guy wanting to get into

Our hobby finds he or she is throwing the dices buying a I tree level compressor only offered by Chinese companies that won,t back there products. Sorry for my rant you have answers my questions in a gentlemen's way and I truly understand now. Fly