What compressor to get

If you think you might want to fill bottles someday, then get a Yong Heng. I think filling guns from bottles is the best. It's quick and nearly silent. I get at least 10 gun fills from one tank fill (I'm using a 45 minute SCBA tank). But if you don't mind waiting up to 5 minutes to fill your gun the little portable compressors look interesting, like the GS CX2. They are about half the weight and will work from home electricity or the 12V of your vehicle or can be made to work with a power tool battery. Much more portable than a Yong Heng (although I demonstrated I could run my Yong Heng off one of my Milwaukee power centers (big battery)). They seem to be more self contained too. The Yong Heng has water cooling of the second stage so you need a water supply (like a bucket). Basically a Yong Heng is an inexpensive but much bigger compressor that you will almost certainly want to put somewhere in your house. The GS CX2 can go in your vehicle where ever you go. YH will fill your gun in a fraction of the time of the GS CX2 but will make more noise doing it. Either will work.

Reactions: Geezerhood
Or if you want to fill bottles, get a GX and a timer, like this.

Screenshot from 2023-06-24 00-24-27.png

The main thing is to ensure the timer can handle the pump amperage. The above works.

If you use a timer, how do you release the pressure? Aren't you supposed to open the relief/bleed valve before you start, so it doesn't start under pressure?

A good question. If you allow that timer to restart without opening the bleed valve on most compressors you are going to have a problem. It is also not possible to stop and restart the GX compressor motor this way as it has a momentary switch on the motor. Unless you rewire things, which I would not recommend on the GX series, the compressor motor will not restart after power has been removed and rea-applied. The cooling fans will, but not the compressor. You would have to manually open the bleed valve and restart the compressor motor each time.

Also, shutting off the GX at the power source after it has been running for a while isn't supposed to be done if I am recalling correctly. It is going to be fairly warm and that heat needs to be continually dissipated after the compressor stops. I don't know how much harm to the seals might occur when shutting it down abruptly with no fans running. On a Yong Heng, I routinely shut the compressor off completely while it is running, but I keep the coolant pump running so there isn't a spike in heat.

I don't see a problem using a timer or a wifi switch to turn off the compressor motor as long as the fans keep running, but any setup that starts the compressor motor automatically on the GX and many other compressors, is not OK. You would need to bypass the factory power switch on the compressor to do that. You would definitely need to have a good idea where the pressure is on a long fill so as to not go too high with an automated shutoff system.

Last edited:
Budget? Less than $1k, I have no suggestions. Less than $2k, I have no suggestions. Over $2k- Coltri MCH-6. Many folks seem happy with the Turkish made Alkin, in this price range. It seems to be quite good. I cannot recommend it, though, as one never knows when the Turkish dictatorship will cut off parts. I think the same thing about my Kral Empire X...but that is significantly less expensive. No offense intended, to anyone. Including those who love their Alkins! (Maybe, I lived in Sinop for too many years...who knows?) Buy the Coltri!

Last edited:
Reactions: dorcula
TUXING TXEDM042 300Bar 4500Psi Pcp Air Compressor Double Cylinder High Pressure Pump with Double Filter for Diving Scuba Rifle

I have a buddy that has one and it’s been good so far, it’s quiet and fast. I have an Altaros personally but if I needed a compressor, this would I would get.

Last edited:
There has always been some confusion on the LC110 (at least for me). I’ve seen versions with three cylinders, and others with four cylinders. The link has a description that includes:

“…The noise level and running cadence is a pleasing “thump thump thump” from the compressor's three cylinders….”

But it also says:

Compression 4 stage.

So still not sure what I would be getting. It’s somewhat moot for me since I ended up getting a 220v MCH6 (4 cylinder, 4 stage) almost three years ago.

Reactions: Hy-Score
There has always been some confusion on the LC110 (at least for me). I’ve seen versions with three cylinders, and others with four cylinders. The link has a description that includes:

“…The noise level and running cadence is a pleasing “thump thump thump” from the compressor's three cylinders….”

But it also says:

Compression 4 stage.

So still not sure what I would be getting. It’s somewhat moot for me since I ended up getting a 220v MCH6 (4 cylinder, 4 stage) almost three years ago.
Agreed. I use the Coltri MCH-6, as well. For a person regularly filling tanks to 4500 psi I do not think the Daystate Type 1 is a good option. It is a much lighter duty machine. For someone filling guns direct, or the occasional tank I think this would be fine. There were quite a few problems with these, years ago, but it sure seems to be related to constantly filling tanks to 4500 psi.

kind of bugs me when a newbie states he hasn't bought a gun yet and people suggest he go out and spend 3 or 4 thousand on a compressor .

Maybe if i spent 4 or 5 hours every day shooting targets and had to go to a field or range to shoot , then i might buy a coltri or like compressor .
I have a Omega trail charger type compressor (now 3 years old ) and 4 PCP's IT fills any of them in about 3 minutes .