• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What Chronograph should I buy??

I have used the Chrony (Green and Red). I also had a light kit for those models. I have also used the ProChrono with the light arches. The chony models are heavier and stronger. The ProChrono works better, with NO errors (using the light arches). If my ProChrono dies, I will be replacing it with another just like it. I was pleased with the Chrony, I am VERY happy with the ProChrono. Just be sure to get the light arches. The extra $50 will ensure perfect results in ANY lighting.

ProChrono:

Light Arches:  

Unlike others I had a lot of trouble getting the Pro Chrono to reliably give me information. I sent it back and was sent another. I found the second to be reliable with additional lighting from the lighting kit or LED's. I added a printer and linked in the data which worked well. Forget about attempting any work around Florescent Lights.
I have since purchased and am satisfied with the MagnetoSpeed V3 Ballistic Chronograph . It is expensive but not light sensitive. It does take time to set up on each rifle but once set up gives reliable data. I use it on my Air Guns but have shot powder burners across it reliably. Another advantage is that there is nothing out in the shooting lanes at the gun range.
With all of the Chronographs shooting across the sensors is the key remember that small lead pellet is sometimes difficult for the sensors to register.
The MagnetoSpeed V3 Ballistic Chronograph would be difficult to use on a pistol and will not work with Archery which is a down side. Hope this helped some.

When chronying my Indy .22 I shot 100s of shots over two chronys, ProChrono and Red chrony.
As far as accuracy goes, they gave the same readings (obviously, the one that was closer was reading a few f'ps hotter). Obviously, w/o knowing the actual true fps, its impossible to tell which one was closer to reality. So, I call it a draw.
As far as precision, RED was almost always showing about 20-30% more of extreme spread compared to ProChrono, (Even though RED pretends to be more precise by showing speeds with 1/10s of foot per second) - so I must give it to ProChrono.
ProChrono also had less 'no readings' - another point to ProChrono.

Red is more compact for storage, nut takes a bit more to set up.

Tests done indoors, incandescent lights shining from the ceiling down.

I also use the Prochrono, http://www.competitionelectronics.com/product/prochrono-digital/

I bought the computer interface at the same time. Before I leave the range, I can have everything in excel and ready for further review. I got some LED lights from Harbor freight and use magnets to hold it in place. I have to have it 24" from the muzzle. If I have it closer, it doesn't give me a consistent reading. 24" or more and there's no problem. I would buy it again if I needed one.

I have a Shooting Chrony Beta Master and have never had a problem with it. I shoot through it 6" from the end of the shroud/barrel and the only time it reads an error is when the rifle isn't lined up with the sensors. I've shot in full sunlight and cloudy days with and without the sun shields and it reads the same either way. Being a Master it has a remote(attached by wire) display what is easy to read and operate.

"jimreed1948"I also use the Prochrono, http://www.competitionelectronics.com/product/prochrono-digital/

I bought the computer interface at the same time. Before I leave the range, I can have everything in excel and ready for further review. I got some LED lights from Harbor freight and use magnets to hold it in place. I have to have it 24" from the muzzle. If I have it closer, it doesn't give me a consistent reading. 24" or more and there's no problem. I would buy it again if I needed one.
jimreed1948,

I just got my Pro Chrono. Can you please post a link of the Harbor Freight LED Lights you got? Do you keep the diffuser on the Chrono? Where do you use magnets to hold them in place?
Thanks, 

J.C

"canoeist"Oehler 35P is what I have and I am very pleased w/ it. It is the one that many Gov't agencies use ie Alphabet org. It costs more but you get your money's worth in my opinion.
Do an internet search and see its capabilities.

Canoeist
We have had one for 25 plus years.I had to send it back for repairs and they updated it. Works great with print outs. We have used it to work up loads for wildcat rounds.