• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What can I get?

I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions, what a great forum! I didn't go into detail on my history with air guns so let me touch on that. I have had a Diana 54 side cocker for a very long time, well built and accurate in .177. When they came out, I purchased a Benjamin Titan GP and Remington NPSS. I have since retired, moved out to the wide open spaces of central Utah and gotten older. I find it difficult to cock a gun anymore, with old injuries and age it's sometimes painful. So cocking guns are out. With respect to the PCP breed, very impressed with ease of operation, accuracy and pure enjoyment. Being retired and on a fixed income I do not have the luxury of earlier days when I would have bought the best and as one person put it "buy once, cry once" (very true by the way!). So I'm not being cheap but rather living within my means so I don't have to eat rice and beans. Homer made a suggestion that I have looked into and am considering, the Sentry 705 from Flying Dragons at the $300 price point. The detailed review at Airgun Detective on it is impressive. I suspect it is a Chinese import (Urrgh!), a bit rough and not as refined as higher end PCP's. Most if not all PCP's shooters do more than just shoot their guns, they tweak, improve and/or service them, so having a gun that likely will need some attention from time to time isn't a deal breaker for me. My concern, from experience, is that parts may not be available to service the gun down the road. Don't want a gun that performs really well for a short time and then cannot be serviced to extend it's life. If anyone has firsthand experience with this gun I would enjoy hearing your feedback.

I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions, what a great forum! I didn't go into detail on my history with air guns so let me touch on that. I have had a Diana 54 side cocker for a very long time, well built and accurate in .177. When they came out, I purchased a Benjamin Titan GP and Remington NPSS. I have since retired, moved out to the wide open spaces of central Utah and gotten older. I find it difficult to cock a gun anymore, with old injuries and age it's sometimes painful. So cocking guns are out. With respect to the PCP breed, very impressed with ease of operation, accuracy and pure enjoyment. Being retired and on a fixed income I do not have the luxury of earlier days when I would have bought the best and as one person put it "buy once, cry once" (very true by the way!). So I'm not being cheap but rather living within my means so I don't have to eat rice and beans. Homer made a suggestion that I have looked into and am considering, the Sentry 705 from Flying Dragons at the $300 price point. The detailed review at Airgun Detective on it is impressive. I suspect it is a Chinese import (Urrgh!), a bit rough and not as refined as higher end PCP's. Most if not all PCP's shooters do more than just shoot their guns, they tweak, improve and/or service them, so having a gun that likely will need some attention from time to time isn't a deal breaker for me. My concern, from experience, is that parts may not be available to service the gun down the road. Don't want a gun that performs really well for a short time and then cannot be serviced to extend it's life. If anyone has firsthand experience with this gun I would enjoy hearing your feedback.

I’ve personally never owned one of those air guns from flying dragon. They are made in China. For the money there are some good guns coming from China but the only drawback is the O-rings that they use are a very low grade. I’ve talked about this a couple days ago .It would only cost them a couple more dollars do use good Orings in them.But I have read a lot of reviews on that particular air rifle and they were good. You have a lot of knowledgeable people on here but I knew there was gonna be a few people that was going to try to get you to spend three times the amount that you were willing to spend. That’s why I was saying you could start out with a Benjamin. When I first started and was in your shoes, I called a gunsmith here in Pennsylvania and he will talk to you for the longest time explaining things and giving you his thoughts and opinions. He’s the one that told me for the money I was willing to spend to buy a Benjamin because there are plenty of parts available and their customer service is top notch. You can go on Amazon or pyramid air and look at real customer reviews on any particular gun that you want to buy .YouTube videos are sometimes good depending on who is doing the review. I don’t know all the names of the good ones that do the videos. But airgun detectives is a good one. Take your time and if you find something that you’re really interested in, ask questions about it. And when you make your purchase let us know how you like it.

I just got into PCP in February and did a lot of looking around before I did so. This ended up being what I went with. I chose the middle package. I know it is a bit above what you originally wanted to go but it will be worth it. I lasted about 1 month before I upgraded to a CF tank that I got from Amazon as pumping it up by hand was tedious and tiring. I have a local place that will refill it for $15. I drop it off in the morning and pick it up after work.

Now that being said I was a half shake from picking up the newly released FX Maverick on Saturday when it came out as I have been seriously considering getting an Impact now. Fortunately or unfortunately I waited and they went out of stock before I commited.

The Armada is a good gun in my opinion. I can very consistently shoot dime sized 10 shot groups at 30 yards. At 30 yards it will also drop a pigeon right on the spot DRT style. I have taken many many sparrows out to 50 and 60 yards in somewhat stiff winds, and have shot holes through the flowers creeping jenny weeds at all sorts of ranges. (Flower is about an inch to inch and a quarter.). I believe it has been a very good starting gun for me. When I upgrade I may or may not trade or sell it, but it has performed well. All of this is with the scope that comes with it as part of the kit.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/pre_packaged_deals/Benjamin_Armada_PCP_Air_Rifle_Combo/7127

If $500 is your budget, maybe a quality springer would be a better fit? My RWS 54 shoots better groups at 25M than a lot of groups that I have seen posted here by PCP users. Taken a lot of fly's at 25M also.

As mentioned in another thread the RWS 54 is on sale for $299.00 great rifle, great price. 

Recommend:

https://www.umarexusa.com/rws-model-54-22

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-si-series-4-12x40mm-riflescope.html

https://www.amazon.com/BKL-Mount-Dovetail-Screws-007-Compensation/dp/B003M4XPLM/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=bkl+rifle+mount&qid=1606747899&sr=8-8

The Air Rifle range you went to probably has Hunter Field Target and 25M Bench Rest completions, with this setup you would be all set. 

The RWS 54 and 56 are sub 2 inch capable at 100 yards average 1.25-1.5" with occasional sub one inch and at 50 yards roughly 1/2" and just over that that on average. You need a damn good PCP to equal these springers at 100 yards consistently and it's capable of 150 yards and beyond too. Plus no need for tank or compressor just a damn good quality strong scope and mounts. May still have a LIFETIME WARRANTY too.

OK hard to cock the 54 eh? Benjamin Maximus (5 year warranty) from a AMERICAN company that has parts for them. The 22 RWS 54 is more accurate than the Maximus just past 80 yards FYI.

Too bad the RWS 54 is too difficult for you to cock. Hard to beat it's reliability and long distance high end PCP-LIKE accuracy and LIFETIME WARRANTY.

I would be considering the Air Venturi Avenger (I didn't have a good experience with their Nomad II compressor but the guns seem to have a good reputation) or DAR (new owner here but gun is good so far and priced similarly) if you are sold on a pre-charged rifle. Obviously you will need a pump. I like the Hill pump. 

https://www.airventuri.com/av/featured-products/avenger/

https://www.dynamicairrifles.com/products

You can buy these pumps in the USA, this is just the UK site.

https://www.airriflepump.com/acatalog/Air_Rifle_Pumps.html

I started with a Maximus for $150 on sale. Added a Marauder trigger for $65, power adjuster $16 and hammer spring $7. I bought a used scuba tank $80, hydro $37 and fill assembly $25 (eBay). Used Hawke 2-7x32 $70. Shoots fantastic. Air refills $8. Can’t tell you how many shots per tank fill yet, I’m at 2500 plus and still shooting. Well under $500 for entire setup.

I started with a Maximus for $150 on sale. Added a Marauder trigger for $65, power adjuster $16 and hammer spring $7. I bought a used scuba tank $80, hydro $37 and fill assembly $25 (eBay). Used Hawke 2-7x32 $70. Shoots fantastic. Air refills $8. Can’t tell you how many shots per tank fill yet, I’m at 2500 plus and still shooting. Well under $500 for entire setup.

That’s what’s good about a Maximus. Low priced but a lot of modding can be done to it.You can even get the multi shot breach for them.