What can I get?

I have been a shooter all my life. Pistols, both revolver and semi-auto, rifles up to 1 mile, shotgun especially trap, machine guns and silenced weapons as a peace officer. So I was surprised that I was surprised after shooting a high end PCP air rifle! Went to an air rifle range looking for help/advice on 2 older barrel cocking pellet rifles I have that have not been used for years. Upon entering the store I could quickly see I was very out of place, my guns are basically antiques and of a different breed. The man there said "have you ever shot one of these?" No, I said and before you know it he had me sitting on the range with an FX Impact. My first shot was a target about the size of a dime at 30 yards and I hit it dead center. That is pretty good in itself, but to hit it again several times in the exact same spot with no effort? That was amazing. So here's my question: I can't spend $2,000 for a new high end gun, another several hundred for a scope, $600+ for an electric pump and yet more for a air bottle. Can I get an entry level PCP set up for around $500? Something that will shoot accurately and durable enough to last a while? If I had my druthers I would have that new FX Impact and all the extras right now, but that isn't possible at least not at the moment.

If you want a dependable PCP rifle for a decent price, you might want to check into some of the Benjamin airguns. Maybe the Cayden or an Akela. They have great customer service and offer a five year warranty. If you don’t mind hand pumping, you could get a Chinese hand pump for around $40. I’ve had one for three years and has worked fine. By tomorrow you will get Some more opinions from more experienced Air gunners on here.You could buy cheaper air guns but they’re either going to be made in China or they’re going To probably be single shot.If you don’t mind a plastic stock you could get a Benjamin fortitude generation 2.Last I checked that rifle was $300. I have Had mine for a year and has shot good with no problems. I also have an Akela And it is a nice shooter. I’ve only had it a couple months though.The only thing is it’s hard to get long range accuracy on the lower price guns But in some cases is possible. But at 30 yards, there’s a lot of air guns that will shoot accurate at that distance.

Surprised to get replies so quickly, thanks guys! The Benjamin Cayden looks like it has the "bones" to be a good candidate. I hadn't thought of shooting beyond 30 yards, but when the comment was made "good out to 30yards" I was wondering what limits it to that distance? If the gun is accurate at 30 yards AND has adequate velocity, what separates it from the high dollar guns for longer range? What would be the recommendation for a 100 yard gun? One reply suggests buying a compressor at Walmart, what brand and model? And what about scopes? With PCP's I presume there is not the recoil that destroyed scopes on older airguns? Can any quality scope be used? Question about "regulators": What exactly does that provide? Does it mean a device that assures each shot has the same pressure? Does it mean les SD between shots, which would relate to accuracy?

I don’t own a compressor so I can’t give you an opinion there. But I hear the cheaper compressors don’t last very long. As far as scopes go,you can use any kind of scope on a PCP Rifle. If you’re only going to shoot to 30 yards, any kind of cross hair would be good but if you’re going to shoot out to further distance, you might want to get a Mil-Dot.And also maybe a variable power scope.The higher priced air guns usually shoot better at further distances because of better quality bores.Some people polish the Bores on their lower priced airguns to get better accuracy.But there is a lot of lower-priced ones that will shoot accurate out to 75 yards. Hundred yards is a crapshoot unless you want to spend extra money. 

100 yard gun? FX impact. Scope midway has Athlon on sale for $300 BUY IT . Compressor go to the sub forum all kinds of info on the compressor subjec. You can use any scope on a PCP the issue really is can it focus down to typical air gun range? On a gun only used at 25 yards out no problem but if you want to shoot close? The Athlon Helios on sale does it all 

You can do this real cheap but I’m going to suggest you don’t The YH compressor is fine . But the Athlon scope and you are at about you $500 limit . Then you need a rifle. For now forget the 100 stuff. You can get really nice used PCP rifle for $1000. So your outlay would be about $1500. A tank would take it to $2000. Hard to go first class much less. Would you be happy with less? Cheap never works for me. You? 

There’s nothing wrong with going with a lower price air rifle like a Benjamin. Good warranty. And I haven’t had any problems with any of mine. They are good starter air rifles. There’s quite a few guys on here that own expensive guns and also some of the cheaper ones.If somebody wants to get into it and can’t afford the More expensive guns, I wouldn’t tell them just to forget about it until they can afford something much more expensive.There’s guys on here that have had Their share of problems with the more expensive air guns too.Not trying to get into a debate. Just stating facts.And I have a Bushnell scope that was on a .308 for years and put it on one of my air rifles.I can shoot it at 10 yards out to however many yards I want to. Back then I think I paid $35 for the scope. It’s either a Bushnell banner or a sport view. On some of my other guns I have leapers scopes on them. 

I agree Ripper. Just suggesting that it best to buy what you want to end up with first. Of course he doesn’t know what he wants so that’s always a problem. There is a Brocock sniper HP on the classifieds right now that would be capable of 100 yards for $1000. That’s WAY over his budget but if he’s like at least some of us in six months he’s going to have blown way past his budget. The Benjamin rifle is fine . He brought up the 100 yard idea which suggested to me the bug might have got him already 🤪

I understand.Just in a few years I ended up with at least 20 air rifles. But Just like him I can’t afford $2000 or more for an air rifle. It seems like he’s trying to get the best bang for his buck.If I was a multimillionaire I would still probably only have one $2000 air gun And several more cheaper air guns.I would rather have a garage full of old muscle cars. But that’s just me.

Be careful even an inexpensive DIY PCP airgun can take you over the edge.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/the-true-cost-of-my-60-crosman-2240/

But the Impact is another story completely.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/the-true-cost-of-owning-a-pcp/

Still you can do it for< $500 if you take some good information to heart and use it. Odoyle has it down pretty good. An inexpensive single shot to start will keep even the cost of ammo low. They can be made to shoot even better once you learn a few things. The gun comes with open sights so you are good to go out of the box.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2083201846

The compressor from Walmart should be A Yong Heng Hardcover/Hardcopy or Set Pressure models DO NOT buy the others. These will last awhile and parts are readily available for them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yong-Heng-exclusive-authorized-Air-Compressor-Pump-Electric-High-Pressure-System-Rifle-110V-30MPA/788946267

Now you are ready to shoot but that will do it for your $500 budget. You can pick up a scope and a tank later after you have decided you want to continue with your sickness. ;^)

You can go with a more expensive gun and a PCP hand pump, to stay in your budget, but eventually you will want the compressor. I started out with a hand pump and DIY PCP guns. Then got a small tank and had it filled at the paintball shop for a bit. But once I upgraded to guns that required more pressure I broke down and bought a Yong Heng probly the best decision I ever made in the airgun world.

Now with that out of the way you can start down the slippery slope of addiction and you have seen where that can lead. ;^)

Have fun and don't overspend there is no need unless you make it.

OTOH, you could get a quality British or German made Springer that should equal a PCP at 30 yards. The Air Arms TX200 or the Weihrauch 77, 97, or 98 or a Walther should get you into either a break barrel, underlever, or side lever for $600-800, plus a scope. And, certain Diana's (52 or 54) are just as good, based upon what I read. The problem for me is the heavy weight of a gun + scope. If it's not a problem for you, then you're good.

I don't own any PCPs; and, I do have PCP envy! But, I'm shooting under 40 yards (and eliminating pests--mostly at 18-26 yards) and, thus, don't need more than a quality springer. Not everyone likes springers; so be cautious! You mostly get what you pay for! 

I've contemplated getting my first PCP (eventually). If I did so today, I'd got to Umarex and see if there are any more Walthar Dominator's on sale (half off)--nothing like getting a $900 gun for $150-350. Or, I'd buy in cheap--Avenger, Origin, DAR (all less than $400). Caliber--you're choice! I went with .177 but now believe that .22 is the better one. 

To close, PCPs are most certainly better, long distance shooters. They typically cost more initially and appear to have more normal maintenance than springers or gas rams. Even worse, their ability to shoot easily over 100 yards would entice me to buy better, more expensive scopes. Add hand pumps (100 to 250 pumps to fill, with resistance rising significantly from 2800-4300) or compressors (at a significant investment), and you've got a lot invested in a medium that is tethered to its air supply. 

Without much practice, the PCP is the best choice! But, with a quality springer (or gas ram), practice can allow one to approach the accuracy/precision of a PCP but without the ease of consistency. In this case, you definitely are going to pay for what you need or want. More distance and power goes to the PCP; more affordable but more challenging (less expensive and less powerful typically) is the realm of the traditional springer rifles. 

Whatever you decide, best of luck!

Arch_E

I’d say that since you have done a lot of shooting and already tried the impact...and you are already thinking about 100 yards you are already doomed lol! In my opinion your going to love whatever you get, but shortly you will need to upgrade. I’d get a FX Streamline, or a used high end rifle off the classifieds. I started with a Marauder and a Airforce condor, both were fine guns and quite accurate. I then bought a FX Crown .25 and it was so much better than the other guns that I sold them. I got a Theoben .20 cal and it is my favorite rifle by far. Like they say “ buy once and cry once “ it’s a silly saying that really makes sense lol! Good luck, you are in for incredible fun. Powder burner accuracy, almost silent and can be shot in the yard or even the house! Keep us posted on your choice!

Hey Bill, 

Retired LEO here as well, life long shooter, competitive in most venues, ATA member and shooter, do yourself a favor and wonder over to Flying Dragon Air Guns and have a look at the Sentry 702 and 705 model PCP guns.

Then drift over to Airgun Detectives on line and search through Johns video reviews for those guns and prepare to be surprised all over again, $1000.00 + quality and features for under $300.00, we've been shooting one four days a week for six months without a hickup, get quarter sized groups at 75 yds, half dollar sized groups at 100 yds. 

Good luck with your search.👍

If $500 is your budget, maybe a quality springer would be a better fit? My RWS 54 shoots better groups at 25M than a lot of groups that I have seen posted here by PCP users. Taken a lot of fly's at 25M also.

As mentioned in another thread the RWS 54 is on sale for $299.00 great rifle, great price. 

Recommend:

https://www.umarexusa.com/rws-model-54-22

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-si-series-4-12x40mm-riflescope.html

https://www.amazon.com/BKL-Mount-Dovetail-Screws-007-Compensation/dp/B003M4XPLM/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=bkl+rifle+mount&qid=1606747899&sr=8-8

The Air Rifle range you went to probably has Hunter Field Target and 25M Bench Rest completions, with this setup you would be all set.