• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What Caliber is your Compact gun? Poll

What Caliber is your Compact Gun?

Votes: 12 14.6%

Votes: 44 53.7%

Votes: 19 23.2%

Votes: 4 4.9%

Votes: 1 1.2%

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
I didnt remember or I would have included .20, but I would say most of the manufacturers dont make .20

Daystate, FX, RTI ....

I should have specified PCP guns
Brocock/Daystate, Edgun, and FX make .20s in pcp. Then there is Theoben, BSA, the Beeman imports like my Wolfpup and numerous others that come from across the pond. And .20s come in all powerplants.

Reactions: Liontracks
These are all .22 cal.
I consider them compacts.
For reference the center one is a Benjamin Prod
IMG-4723.jpg

Well depends on what I need.. I voted 22.. thats my go-to.. I'm mainly a 22 guy.. but I utilize the barrel swap for my particular rifle.. I have the 177 and 25 barrels also.. the 22 stays on it most of the time

Edit.. rifle I utilize the barrel swap system the most in my RTI compact.. super easy to swap cal and tune in... I have FX rifles (compacts) with 177,22,25 barrels also (dreamline compact, impact compact) their great rifles but my RTI sets up and tunes in faster than my FX rifles.. not dogging the FX they are a bit more refined and more smooth than the RTI (fact)... In my opinion the RTI is a grab and go so is my brocock compatto 22 ( compatto not really a compact but close) my FX is a shoot...check out ... Resight if necessary then go..

Last edited:
So far surprised with results. When you go watch youtube videos you see a lot of .25 .30 in compacts especially with FX impacts that pack a punch and handle the heavier pellets easier.
By "compact", my mind immediately goes to pistols, and pistol carbines. But I forget that full size rifles are compacts as well. Which both of my pcp rifles happen to be at least most of the time. One has a long hw100 .177 barrel. The other has a long .30 fx barrel. But both have short .22 caliber barrels.

For me this boils down to a few things. You get really optimal velocity from a 15 or so inch .22 barrel. Sure you can get more with longer, but typicaly in the happy zone of 880-950fps with pellets. Which is really an ideal zone to be in for a large number of reasons. .25 caliber needs a bit longer barrel usually to get in that same zone. This is just due to projectile weight. .177 also tends to need a little longer barrel to get here due to reduced barrel volume. Think of barrel volume as area or space for pressurized air to work on the projectile. .20 cal would really shine here as well, but there are just so few of them.

I would vote .22 since few countries have some restrictions on caliber or power. The .22 is a versatile caliber packing a good punch for a clean dispatch any thing from rats to pigons. but for plincking fun and accuracy, i would go with .177 as a back yard fun friendly. so it dials down to what is that you need from it, 😄
16892223361678450221450073581514.jpg
i would consider my " home made" Airforce 12" barrle (silver one) is the compact one just for the wieght of it! 😅 all of them are .22 cal.

I'm a .22 guy through and through. Cab go from say 11gr to 33gr if you want. Very versatile. My 2 compacts are the Evol Mini (885fps with 16gr JSBs) and Umarex Notos (700fps with 14.3gr CPHPs i detuned from 20fpe) and very versatile. If one of these company's would make a great .20 gun I'd own one and probably pick that.

Compact rifle, .25 Airforce Escape UL. 28.5" to 33" overall length , 70fpe , and The reason we purchased originally one - 4.25lbs. Small shot count in the sweet spot (but only need 1 shot for 1 to 2 Marmots) but keep it in the sweet spot of shoot tethered and it groups well enough for competition.
Did recently pick up a .452 pistol that is rather compact for a air powered hand cannon.

John

I liked my first P35 so much (a 25) that I got a 22 and 177 too. I answered 22 because if I had to go to one it is the one I would keep but I've probably shot the 177 more. It gets about 100 shots per fill and the pellets are cheaper. Both the 22 and 25 are tuned to about 32 fpe but that is a detune for the 25 to keep H&N FTTs under 900 fps. The 25 has taken the most squirrels, 18, but is the least accurate in target work. The 22 has shot a couple 199s, the best had 18Xs, at the 30 yard challenge. The 177's best is a 194. They all have wood stocks now and weigh even less, 5 lbs or a bit less before scope. All are under 30 inches long and about 85db with their printed in shroud moderators. Trigger pulls are now under 1 lb. All 3 cost less than one "high end" pcp.

All three P35s.jpg