N/A What caliber is best for 50yds bench rest .

You have two completely different questions in your thread.

Flattest Trajectory (TM) is simply a factor of muzzle velocity, retained velocity and scope height above bore. How are you with differential calculus?

Accuracy is 100 times more involved than a function of ballistic coefficient. Pellet precession, nut, wind drift, center of pressure, center of gravity, spin rate, gyroscopic stability, shooter's ability, the fit, form and function of the gun, valve and other mechanical influences - just to name a few things that affect "accuracy."

best accuracy and flattest trajectory arnt really related .. the faster a projectile goes the flatter its trajectory will be, generally, so .177 usually will be easier to achieve that .. about 1050fps will keep a standard weight pellet within 1/2" or so vertically 10-45y, at 50 it may drop a smidge more .. but accuracy-wise a lightweight .177 can be substantially effected by wind, both side and head wind .. as far as most accurate though, thats mostly gun design and quality .. again, generally, a .25 pcp will likely be a more accurate, better, gun than some offbrand run of the mill .22 ..for ultimate accuracy youd probably want to be looking at 'competition grade' guns like raw etc ..

Flattest Trajectory (TM) is simply a factor of muzzle velocity, retained velocity and scope height above bore. How are you with differential calculus?

Accuracy is 100 times more involved than a function of ballistic coefficient. Pellet precession, nut, wind drift, center of pressure, center of gravity, spin rate, gyroscopic stability, shooter's ability, the fit, form and function of the gun, valve and other mechanical influences - just to name a few things that affect "accuracy."
And that pesky butterfly off in the distance, darn things. If the op wants a FLAT trajectory a .17 is it....as long as it's a .17 HMR. that is.

WHAT SIZE PROJECTILE HAS THE BEST ACCURACY AT 50YARDS.
As previously mentioned your question is pretty much not answerable as posed. Pellets from the moment they leave the barrel are rising until they reach the beginning of their apex….the length of the apex or flat portion of the flight is affected by pellet weight and speed and ballistic coefficients. A more appropriate question is to ask “what air pressure will produce the speed that is needed for a particular pellet type and weight to produce the longest possible flattest trajectory. Of course then you need to know about barrels / barrel types / twist rates / choked or not… sigh the questions only get more complicated

What is "nut"?

Sorry, I got lazy. Should have been typed as Pellet Nutation

1714004836931.png

There really are pros and cons to every caliber. The more important question for me would be what you plan on hitting at 50 yards, and in what type of environment? Shooting targets in a low/no wind situation would be quite different than hunting a medium sized pest. Since you're asking about calibers, I'm also guessing you dont have a gun yet, so what type of gun are you wanting to shoot (Springer, PCP, etc) and/or what is your budget?

The rules of your specific contest may or may not allow certain calibers and or power levels (or trigger mechanisms.) You are getting closer to your knowledge that you seek.

What game do you want to compete at?

N50 will allow up to .30 pellets....but the expense per shot goes waaaay higher for each caliber increase.

For a benchrest "game" where you score by touching a ring or dot on the target bigger calibers have an advantage. They also tend to have higher bcs so they are less influenced by wind. If slugs are allowed, they would further reduce bc and produce a wind drift advantage. But I think most competitions are pellets only. I haven't looked at them for awhile but I think the winners at the 100 yard competitions tend to use 30 calibers or at least 25s. I think these factors are why.

I don't think calibers are inherently more or less accurate.

Reactions: 450BM