What break barrel air rifle to choose for hunting

Hi I had a lot of break barrels air rifles and used them for hunting (in my country it's legal) so now I sold one of my rifles and want to buy other.I see a lot of videos in the net and read a lot, but I cab choice between .177 and .22 , break barrel or fixed barrel.I will use it to hunt pigeons,crows,magpies and rabbits.I want rifle that can kill on the range of 50-70meters.

You are not going to get solid kills from 50 to 70 yards with a 17 caliber. And some of the game you list even at closer ranges.

22 would be the way to go. Unless you want to look at the mid caliber 20 which is also a good choice.

You will notice absolutely no difference in accuracy between a Fixt barrel and a break barrel. I have owned more of both than I can count on my fingers.

fix barrel rifles are usually quite a bit heavier because you have to add the cocking mechanism. I would go with a nice break barrel in 20 or 22, something with some good whack. An R1, used Theoben crusader or eliminator, If you could find one and air arms pro elite. The more powerful they are, the more they weigh. The more powerful they are, the more they recoil.

As you’ve seen above a tuned R nine would be a good choice, and it would be lighter than the R1, and be more forgiving. If I were looking at an R9 I would go with 20 caliber, if you can get pellets.

mike

50 meters is a stretch for a break barrel. I shoot targets at that range and it does well, but under 40 yards is my preferred for critters.

All those listed should do fine with a 22. If you can get your hands on a nitro piston rifle I would suggest that. It is what I did and I have not regretted it a bit. Mine is a Benjamin nitro XL something or another. Suppressed and after the first 50 shots or so, the loudest thing about the shot is the piston. My particular rifle isn't available now, and may have been a special run, but there are plenty in that category.

Happy Shopping

I would 100% agree that a 177 is plenty for squirrels. Not sure how many I killed with my original 124 back in the 1980s...But for whatever reason crows are a whole Nother ball game. Not sure if it’s because you can’t get very close, but even when you do, and when you think you’ve made a good shot with a 17, they go down but you can’t find them. I wounded a few crows with the 17, and this was with a PCP. Then I switched to 22 for crows exclusively. There’s something about the whack of a 22 and it has Way more surface area.

mike

I would 100% agree that a 177 is plenty for squirrels. Not sure how many I killed with my original 124 back in the 1980s...But for whatever reason crows are a whole Nother ball game. Not sure if it’s because you can’t get very close, but even when you do, and when you think you’ve made a good shot with a 17, they go down but you can’t find them. I wounded a few crows with the 17, and this was with a PCP. Then I switched to 22 for crows exclusively. There’s something about the whack of a 22 and it has Way more surface area.

mike

Agreed about crows--they are tough, but my asp20 hasn't lost against a crow yet. To be fair, only crows it's taken are near 25 to 30 yards. Right now my asp20 is kicking out around 22 FPE which seems to be plenty.

How many FPS is your Benjamin, I saw it in the shop and it looks like good rifle, but people in the shop told me that its 1100 FPS and with 1 gram pellet it will be 41 ft-lbs.But I dont think thats true,its a lot of power for break barrel rifle.

If you are asking me, it is 850-860 with a 14.3 grain Crossman pellet. 22.95 fpe or the like. Mine is rated for 1100 fps, but I never shot a light pellet out of it. Read the box and disclaimers carefully. The 1 gram (15.4 grains) pellet at that speed is very optimistic.

I felt the need to shoot my chronograph a few months ago while working up a load for a centerfire, and haven't replaced it yet. Fortunately, I was in the tuning stage of the load and really didn't need it at that point. Probably soon, but since centerfire components have been so hard to come by, I just wasn't motivated to get a new unit.

break barrel at +50 meters .. forget it .. best you'll do is maim 99% of anything you actually 'do' hit ... if you want to hunt with a springer i'd just get something basic like a gamo big cat in .22 and be sure to keep shots less than 20 meters ..

Respectfully disagree. I know I limit myself to around 50 yards, but I know plenty that routinely hunt those distances with quality springers. I easily pick off chipmunks at 45 yards no problem at all, and I've easily hit a squirrel at 50. I just keep most of my shots to sub 45ish give or take. And this is with my .177.

Screenshot_20200606-211801_Message.1612983805.jpg

20210130_090519.1612983720.jpg

The only break barrel Springer that comes to mind is the Walther LGV Competition Ultra for 50-70 yard meter shots. They need to be found on the used market since they were discontinued not too long ago.

Other than that the only other springers that can reliably hit targets at 100 yards and beyond are the RWS 54 and 56 which are side levers.

You May be better off with a 22 Benjamin Maximus with a $50 Wal-Mart Chinese hand pump that's easy to pump since it only requires a low 2000psi. Add a $25 Airgun Universe silencer makes it super quiet they won't know you are shooting until they get smacked.

It will easily accurately and consistantly outshot springers past 50 yards except for the RWS 54 and 56. Your useable range may even extend out to 100 yards or further with a Maximus in 22 vs a break barrel Springer

It would be more humane to use a Maximus or RWS 54 or 56 at the 50 to 70 meter distances you need.

dizzums 
break barrel at +50 meters .. forget it .. best you'll do is maim 99% of anything you actually 'do' hit … if you want to hunt with a springer i'd just get something basic like a gamo big cat in .22 and be sure to keep shots less than 20 meters ..

reponse

About eight years ago, I was out at the shooting range, and a flock of starlings came in and we’re hitting some crabapple trees about 60 yards away from me.

I had my air arms pro elite with me in 22. I distinctly remember that day, because I hit 10 in a row offhand at distances ranging between 60 and 75 yards. They were all one shot kills. Thunk, and then the bird would fall. I probably dropped 40 of them that day.

when I was a young man I would use my FWB 124 to hunt squirrels. All my buddies would carry their 22 rimfire‘s. Usually three or four of us would go out. On an average day I would score 3 or four myself, they might get one or two between them. 40 to 50 yards was nothing. That’s a 14 foot pound 177 Springer.

mike