• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What better scope than Sightron SIII?

For pure BR shooting, the SIII is perfect. Mine has a fine cross hair reticle, but you may want to choose the cross hair with center dot. These are the least expensive SIIIs. I got mine for $765 by pure luck, but they generally sell around $900. I also have one withe the MOA-2 rreticle and the MOA-H reticle for more varied useage. Other scope with busy reticles are not good for BR in my opinion. You can't find a finer scope than these. I've looked through some friend's Nightforce, March, and other upper end scope and just didn't like them. Mostly because the eyebox was too tight and I didn't like their reticles.

I've been extremely pleased with my Falcon X50. Mine is the field target version, which supposedly doesn't focus as far out as the non-FT version but yesterday I was doing some testing for a friend who is considering this scope and found the following.......

His big concern with the FT version was that he wouldn't be able to focus on longer ranges, like 100 yard benchrest, in case he decides to use the scope for that. I was tasked with making sure he could focus on longer airgun ranges if he buys the X50 FT version. These images might be helpful to OP when looking at scope options in the same general price range as the SIII (actually a couple hundred cheaper). 

First pic is with my 6x rangefinder....

falcon x50.1605933247.jpg

Second pic is through the X50 on 50x

falcon x501.1605933268.jpg

You can see that it gets a bit darker at 50x but the "directtv" on the dish and the small branches (guessing finger diameter) are visible right in front of the dish. 

No pics, but I was able to identify a little birdy as a Junco at 122 yards that I couldn't even see without the scope. Tree bark was also clear when focused on at 122 yards. 

Finally, I remember using the gun this scope is on to shoot at some paper at 100 yards a few months ago. I was able to see most of the .177 holes at 100 yards, couldn't see the ones in the thickest/darkest inked portions of target.

X50 saves you a couple ounces (I think 29 vs 32 for the Sightron Siii) but that weight savings is because the X50 does not have illuminated reticle, which I'm fine with. I also like the X50's reticle better than any of the Siii reticle choices.

Just another option to consider.

(Mine ranges better than any other scope I've tried or looked through. Ranging by focus is a very field target specific thing to ask of a scope but my X50 does it extremely well.)

The OLDER Gold Label SIII models were selling as discontinued models for about half price just a few months ago just because they changed to white labeleling and apparently only for cosmetic reasons with the same lifetime warranty. They were drop shipped direct from Sightron USA.

The Most Expensive were the ones that were the 11 yards to infinity such as the 10-50x60 illuminated were $699 and $599 for the non illuminated.

Sure wish they had more of the illuminated models because it was a really good deal for only $699 brand new.

If any pop up used or even still NIB I wouldn't be surprised to see them listed for more than what they paid. I have seen Amazon listings for a lot more than that shortly after Sightron USA sold out. Midway too but they offered theirs at less than Amazon but still more than the Sightron USA price and most were the 40 yard to infinity versions.

Some Sightron S TACs are selling for around 1/3 the normal selling price made in the Philipines at MidwayUSA roughly $250-$350 SFP non illuminated or FFP Illuminated but aren't high magnification.

Kinda makes you wonder scope price mark up (in general) doesn't it? Now these are Japan and Phillipine Made now, so just imagine the Chinese.

OH Scott from Liberty Optics sold the half price Sightrons SIIIs and Sightron USA shipped them.

The Japan Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60x52 doesn't focus down to 10 yards. It's more like 20 yards or a hair under since scopes vary between each sample tested and it's clearer than the Sightron SIII 10-50x60 at up to 40x which is the max clear power IMHO vs the SIII at around 35x. The SIII are said to be 11 yards but I seen variances up to almost 13 yards according to 26 different test samples I tried and their parallax wheels aren't numbered.

The Falcon (Japan version not the Chinese one) is a better deal currently and has a nicer reticle than the Sightron labeled ones.

Do not expect the Sightron nor Falcon to be clear all the way to 50x realistically around up to 35x based on MY EYES.

If they sold them as 10-35x60 then it would be perfect. I just don't like looking through the bluriness that can't focus 100% clear past a certain higher magnification that's all so frustrating for me to say the least especially looking at chromatic aberration. I have yet to find a sub $1600 scope that's clear all the way to 50x or 60x short of a spotting scope.

If you can pony up $400 more than your $1000 budget this front focus illuminated Nightforce is the best bang for your buck and has a 25 yard focus and a step up in clarity over the Sightron SIIIs in the $1000-$1300 price point and clearer than the Vortex Golden Eagle. It's not a 50x or 60x but its the clearest 40x scope I seen in this price point period. My March 10-60x52 kinda spanks it but it should since it cost double.

Use their 5% off discount code and probably still get free shipping. THIS ONE MAKES MY NIGHTFORCE SHV AT AROUND THE SAME PRICE LOOK LIKE A WELFARE CASE.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/nightforce-12-42x56-benchrest-riflescopes.html

If you can pony up $400 more than your $1000 budget this front focus illuminated Nightforce is the best bang for your buck and has a 25 yard focus and a step up in clarity over the Sightron SIIIs in the $1000-$1300 price point and clearer than the Vortex Golden Eagle. It's not a 50x or 60x but its the clearest 40x scope I seen in this price point period. My March 10-60x52 kinda spanks it but it should since it cost double.

Use their 5% off discount code and probably still get free shipping. THIS ONE MAKES MY NIGHTFORCE SHV AT AROUND THE SAME PRICE LOOK LIKE A WELFARE CASE.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/nightforce-12-42x56-benchrest-riflescopes.html

Thanks I will check that out 😁👍🏽👍🏽

I have three of the Sightron 10-50’s. One Field Target model with the MOA-H lighted reticle and two dedicated crosshairs with Target dot for bench rest. I believe the dot is .10 MOA. 

I have found the dot to be near perfect for bench rest work. The ability to adjust the magnification, and therefore the dot size, allows the ability to perfectly center the dot in the X ring at any distance. I really don’t even pay any attention to what power I have the scope set at only what does the dot look like in the X ring. 

Every one is different and your eyes and needs may be different but for me the Sightrons are clearly the best choice. 

Keep in mind......My advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. 

Corky

I have a used Falcon X50 for sale on the classifieds that would fit your needs exactly. Selfish plug I know. But The Falcon is better then the SIII and a better price.

Jerry L.

Since you had owned both SIII FT MOA-H illuminated and Falcon X50 what's better about the Falcon since they are said to be made at the same factory besides the reticle?

CAN'T BE the "SAME" scope because Falcon is UK based and under a different company ownership than Sightron USA.

OH WAIT!!! Has it already been 10 years since the SIII been first sold?

I would be confident enough as to state likely from the same JAPAN LOW (J-LOW?) factory with slight cosmetic and reticle change though.

Just like how the Falcons that are made in CHINA differs from their DISCOVERY OPTICS counterparts it would be an infringement of patent rights if they were identical so some differences like AT LEAST different reticle and slight turret and focus and zoom alterations are a must. SOME of them still have the Discovery optics turrets though. One was the BSA 4-14x44 that Aliexpress sells for $80 shipped (the one MidwayUSA sells for $299) but don't know what the Falcon version cost. That was from the same factory that made AEON and HAMMERS and Primary Arms and US OPTICS among many others from USA based scope companies.

Keep in mind patent infringement if they are less than 10 years can't copy exactly till after 10 years patent expires unless it's backdoor typical China greed until they get found out.

Funny thing is that people think they are Chinese copies of Chinese originals but don't realize they may likely be Chinese originals infringing on patent rights with back door selling patented goods by slapping a different label or omitting the brand label all together or just selling the ones that supposedly didn't pass QC from the patent holder and redone with slight blemish etc then fixed and no label or different label. There are tier2 and tier3 stuff available from China when you got connections and the money and enough greed and lack of morals.

Marauder magazines 10 years already? Is that why Umarex and SPA ATI and Air Venturi for example get to make their own very much like it? At least Crosman didn't copy the Theoben Rapid magazines exactly after their patent was done.