What are your favorite targets?

For at home backyard plinking ice cubes make great reactive targets. They explode rather nicely with direct hits. It’s also cool if you film it in slow motion and see the impacts. Best of all there’s no mess to cleanup afterwards and nothing left to attract bugs and other pests to the scene.

Pictures & video from iPhone 6 plus 2836.png

Ah the wonderful sound and extremely satisfying resounding ding in the distance these make!!! All AR500 or 550 so they'll take hits from firearms without damage.
Yep I got these primarily for long range pcp slug shooting.
3" circle is for scale.
125y/Trex, 150Y/crow, 175Y/7" triangle, 200Y/donkey, 225Y/rabbit, 250Y/coyote, 275Y/small buffalo, and 300Y/Bobcat. Some not shown in the pics.
View attachment 380319
Where did you get these at? I need some

Where did you get these at? I need some

They have great deals in the bargain bin.
Mine are mostly 1/4" thick.

Reactions: swampfoxoutdoors
I like shooting at things that break, like those little green army men, old expired medicine or vitamin tablets, pennies, ketchup packs, acorns, thumb tacks, clothes pins, PVC pipe stubs, 🤔 ..bullet and shotgun primers 🤫, bottle caps, ...🤔

Lately, my go to fodder has been those little incandescent xmas lights. I made some stands that hold 5 ~ 8 of them. It's wired in a parallel circuit and powered by either two AA batteries (3 volts DC) or the black and red wires from any phone USB charging cord. (they have to be separated out from the rest of the wires in the cord. I think they provide about 4.5 volts DC).

The cool thing is you can shoot them at night too. While im on that subject. I like to shoot out candles too.

I'll try to attach a short video:

For at home backyard plinking ice cubes make great reactive targets. They explode rather nicely with direct hits. It’s also cool if you film it in slow motion and see the impacts. Best of all there’s no mess to cleanup afterwards and nothing left to attract bugs and other pests to the scene.

View attachment 381180
I the spring time when the temps change and things begin to melt. On side of driveway from plowing you get hundreds of your ice cube targets, They do the best explosion and give a good popping sound. Crow

I like shooting at things that break, like those little green army men, old expired medicine or vitamin tablets, pennies, ketchup packs, acorns, thumb tacks, clothes pins, PVC pipe stubs, 🤔 ..bullet and shotgun primers 🤫, bottle caps, ...🤔

Lately, my go to fodder has been those little incandescent xmas lights. I made some stands that hold 5 ~ 8 of them. It's wired in a parallel circuit and powered by either two AA batteries (3 volts DC) or the black and red wires from any phone USB charging cord. (they have to be separated out from the rest of the wires in the cord. I think they provide about 4.5 volts DC).

The cool thing is you can shoot them at night too. While im on that subject. I like to shoot out candles too.

I'll try to attach a short video:

View attachment 411904

I love spinners! Great practice for pesting or hunting.

Make my own out of miscellaneous hardware you can find around the house - coat hanger, washers and bits of wood. Did a guest blog for Pyramyd Air a while ago...

Reactions: bustachip
I really like the two (sometimes three) inch Shoot-N-C reactive stickers from Birchwood Casey. I shoot much better with that eensy bullseye than I do when using stickers with the ubiquitous 3/4 inch dot used by other manufacturers (even Birchwood Casey, if that's what's needed). I gues the tiny, approximately 1/4 inch red bulls-eyes require better concentration, breathing and technical proficiency -- or something like that. :) At the usual thirty feet at which I shoot indoors with open sights, it is just SO satisfying to see those bullseyes disappear completely with my first shot, followed by the practically impossible to make out follow-on, hole-in-hole shots making up the rest of the group. Talk about the warm glow of satisfaction from a difficult (well...) job well done! :) Hey, I am fairly easy to please.

Shoot-N-C reactive stickers from Birchwood Casey
Also big 2" fan, but i use them at 80 - 100 M, and getting that red dot to go away with 1 shot ( not necessary the first shot ) is not easy.
But a dead on .177 slug will just about do the trick.
Most times though i will need 25 - 50 shots to do it. And Generally they do look like Swiss cheese when i am done with them.

BTW the 2" ones, well i have a hard time finding them in country or even within the EU gangs turf. :cry:

Before I moved, the club where I shot did a lot of Action Pistol and IPSC matches. After they were done, the range was littered with live rounds from when they cleared their guns. Not sure why they were too lazy to pick them up.

I would go out and pick them up and set them on the target stands, 25-50 yards. I had a great time shooting the primers. Nice little pop when you hit them.

I prefer plain White paper with splatter target stick on it... And use DIY pellet trap behind the paper.. Box filled with jeans and other used cloth..
My system is similar, but I really like your idea of using worn-out jeans and whatever (farmers could use (or maybe supply?) empty burlap and other feed and seed sacks). Currently however, for my own indoor shooting, I built a large cardboard box with an approximately 12 x 16 inch opening in front. The box then gets filled with about thirty large sheets of cardboard assembled from the cut-up boxes in which our online-ordered goods are delivered. Each sheet measures 14 x 19 inches, and on the sheet that gets placed in front, I'll have applied 8 rows of six across stickers of the aforementioned two inch Shoot-N-C targets. Depending on whether I'm using a .22 or .177 caliber airgun, I'll shoot up each target's bulls-eye (hopefully the bullseyes!) using groups of 3 or 5 shots, respectively. Considering most of my airguns are single-shot variable pumpers, there's actually a pretty good amount of time required for each session, so it often takes two or three days before I need to replace the targets. Eventually, when all 48 targets have been shot to smithereens, I remove all the cardboard sheets too holed to be useful anymore and pour out all the pellets that ineviteably fell to the bottom of the box. Then I'll replace those first six to ten heavily-holed sheets (depending on how many pumps I was using to shoot with my variable pumpers -- if I'm using CO2 or break barrel air rifles, it might require as many as twenty to twenty five sheets being replaced, since those airguns always shoot at full power). Finally, I'll place a fresh sheet of cardboard with new targets at the very front, on which I've stuck the six by eight rows of 48 Shoot-N-C targets and it's ready to go again. Easy peasy. :) Works for me, anyway.

One of these daze, I'll redo everything, building a new box of the same size out of thick plywood instead of cardboard. I'll still use 14 x 19 inch cardboard sheets on which 48 self-stick targets have been applied in the front of the box, just behind its 'window' opening, but instead of many more cardboard sheets behind it, I'll use something more substantial to fill the box and absorb pellets. Hopefully, whatever I use as filling won't need to be replaced as often as cardboard sheets, something like the packed-in cloth you use, or maybe those cut-up rubber shards often used in landscaping, or even sheets made from rubber-like, 'self-healing' floor tiles... whatever. Like I said, one of these days... :)

Reactions: bustachip