• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What are your favorite targets?

If I have to pick just 1

20230624_195044.jpg

Reactions: maxtrouble
I like shooting these, and set them up at both 50 and a hundred yards. The bamboo balls are 3/8” round
21A3389C-A1D1-44B7-AD02-9E1A3E7E0430.png

After I’m sighted in on paper targets, I shoot these as a “sleep well at night” cause I know I’m dialed in. Do I hit them? If I get lucky ha ha!

I also hang my old belt pulleys from my lawn mower out, and put a shoot and see 1” dot over the center 1/2” round shaft hole. My goal is to punch out the shoot n see dot without causing the hanging pulley to swing or move, at a 100 yds

Last edited:
I’ve spent over a g-note on targets. My favorite, cutting a can in half in as few rounds as possible. 30 yds. My best 38, yesterday 41, close. A mushroom, Campbell Soup or a bean can, all similar sizes. Mine swings a bit for more of a chalange. The last break has been the killer. CrowView attachment 379320
Good morning crowski
Can cutting has been a great pass time at our get togethers since the early eighties. One time we had a crawfish boil, and the guys shot a can until there was nothing left but flakes to shoot at. It makes me scratch my head sometimes, when I think about how much fun they have coming and shooting my airguns, and I don't know a one of them who bought their own?
Screenshot_20230810_063422_Gallery.jpg

Good morning crowski
Can cutting has been a great pass time at our get togethers since the early eighties. One time we had a crawfish boil, and the guys shot a can until there was nothing left but flakes to shoot at. It makes me scratch my head sometimes, when I think about how much fun they have coming and shooting my airguns, and I don't know a one of them who bought their own?
View attachment 379511
Good morning, I like your handle.
Cans are satisfying, looks like you know that. My problem not enough cans. Think I’ll start a “go fund me” a can charity.
Too bad for them. You snooze you loose. I shot my buddies HW80 4 yrs. ago, hooked. Crow

Cicadas are a lot of fun, just have to wait 17 years between sessions. I like to spot them up in the tree on a branch, then vaporize them.

Also have fun shooting individual berries off poke weeds.

For my inside range, I really enjoy cutting cans in half. Or hitting 3/4 spinners from standing with open sights.

Sidewalk chalk.

Indeed.
But not having something like that, but at 82 M with a strategic placed brownstone brick placed so you just have the 3 " with to shoot at, starting at the top and then slowly grinding it down also give some pufs of dust.

You can also shoot at the middle of course, but you will pretty fast have made so deep a cut into it that it break

Some times when i shoot, i pretend i am a forward artillery observer, and call fire in on my targets. :D

Reactions: drpietrzak
So what happens when you shoot at a well soaked gell ball? I couldn't find a video. Do they degrade fast or is there some clean-up when you get done?

I am not sure, i go shooting tomorrow and will soak a few balls to bring with me, and of course my action camera so i can capture the ball getting hit at 240 FPS.
I will update this thread with video when i get home Saturday.

They should be totally biodegradable, but the ball i soaked in the picture, well i put it somewhere dry assuming it would dry up and maybe go small again, but if that happen it is very slow
I would assume if you shoot a bunch of them up against something it might get a bit nasty, but we shoot in a field with grass that seemingly are on some kind of speed CUZ it grow like crazy ( feed grass )

I would assume the effect are much like shooting a paintball, just PUFF and a cloud of " vapor "

Good thing we don’t really have to stick with only one kind of target, but if I did it would be steel cans, for their versatility.

Standing up, lying on side so that the circular end is the target, lying on side and making it roll with a shot on the side, suspended with two opposing holes punched in the ends so that the can is its own pellet trap (best with wadcutters), or nested with a slightly smaller can in the other.

Any distance, because the silver metal is highly visible.

Easy to add marks or stickers for more difficult points to aim at. Put on Shoot-N-C pasters for best visibility.

Reactive from the impact sound.

And...the can is being reused after its original one.

Shot gun shell hulls for vertical targets and empty CO2 cartridges for horizontal.
I used to have a large field cut like carpet for our control line planes, and we used to race across it with shot shell hulls. We used pistols, and the fewest shots to the end won. Its a bit like golf, and punting.a football, because we stood the shell wherever it landed.

I have two bench’s on my porch 40 ft. apart. They have different views on range. Some of my spinners are in line with one another. The spinners in front partially cover the ones behind. I pick off the small pieces of the spinners behind.
‘To the right of white plate are the spinners. The right half has 2 inch spinners behind.
IMG_6469.jpeg
Some area’s are smaller than a thimble. Very challenging at 35 yds. with a springer. Crow