• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What are your favorite targets?

I used to drink a LOT of bottled beer and I was a home brewer for many years. I had a weird habit of saving bottle caps, so I have thousands of them. I do have a couple of steel targets, but they're a bit loud for the backyard. So bottle caps on duct seal have been my go to target for years.
IMG_9354.jpg
IMG_9355.jpg

At my favorite distance, which seem to be 80 M, anything that is smaller than a tennis ball.
Actual flies are a favorite, so when i put up a fresh set of targets ( 2" splatter targets ) i do make sure a lot of sugar water is spilled on it.

But big things like soda cams on that distance, almost too easy to hit

Just gotten materials to build a pellet trap, so will probably whip that up this weekend

Reactions: drpietrzak
I forgot to say, i have just gotten a couple of bags of what my playful brain have already named snotball targets.
A name my brain instantly came up with the second i picked up the yellow test soak ball in the picture.

IMG_20230809_120551.jpg

I am already thinking " i wonder if these will absorb gasoline " CUZ that would possible make them nice fire shooting targets.

EDIT: Though for fire shooting so far, which netted me my awesome picture of a phoenix, well we have not used gasoline but rather a 50 / 50 mix of lamp oil and alcohol.

Last edited:
Any "PEST" critter in my yard is a target, regular static targets get too boring after a few shots, don't worry, the neighbors Cats are my little friends so they get a pass, they catch my Gophers for me.... :giggle: the good birds get a pass too, same with the cleanup crew, but Hosps, crow, starlings and Squirrels get the lead sleeping pill..... ;)

They aren’t a sponsor here anymore, so feel free to delete the link if necessary, but I really like the Devils Eye targets from Target Forge.

I never tried the high energy ones, but I should because I can’t the normals with some of my rifles. I like that you can get tiny sizes.

I have more of the cheaper eBay ones in larger sizes, further out, but need smaller targets to aim at up close. I have them drilled into the trees down a path through the woods. Works great for FT training, for bench fun, or PRS fun. I can set them up and leave them. They are fixed distances from the bench, or I can move up and down the path to give myself brand new yardages. That worked amazingly well for FT practice. I would have 6-7 targets at random distances no matter where I sat down.

Reactions: Impact701
I hang bottles on 1/2" galvanized fender washers, and string. Its a tight fit, using a pair of channel locks to flatten the bottles mouth. They move well, and ring like cowbells. I had 15 hanging and I would try to hit them all trying to keep them moving before the first shot settled.
There are a lot of different bottle sizes, and they're bright against a black backstop.
👍

20220110_181435_IMG_2133.JPG

I’ve spent over a g-note on targets. My favorite, cutting a can in half in as few rounds as possible. 30 yds. My best 38, yesterday 41, close. A mushroom, Campbell Soup or a bean can, all similar sizes. Mine swings a bit for more of a chalange. The last break has been the killer. Crow
IMG_6433.jpeg

I like those 1/10 scale steel silhouette targets PA gives out as a freebie when you buy a rifle from them. The bases have a hole drilled in them and I hang them with twine from tree branches. Shooting acorns with the 499B is great fun too.

View attachment 379270

I have been tryin to figure out h=how to use ths

D

I have this remote controlled unit. Pops up one target at a time, 10 in all. Works like mint. View attachment 379180Needs to be protected with steel plate.View attachment 379179

Had over year maybe 2, used once. Not into paper right now, but when I do it will save a lot of travel. Into plinking now. Crow
wow that and the 30 yard challenge targets !! was going to buy one but took a pass .

For Duraseal targets:

Easy fix, take a drill bit a little smaller in diameter than the pellet and drill from the back of the skirt into the head of the pellet. This is very easy on soft lead. Once through pull out. Wear gloves hold on to pellet, put drill in reverse and spin off pellet. It goes pretty quickly. This can be, admittingly a pain too, that's why I have gone to hanging them from strings.

Last edited: