• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What are your best shooting, inexpensive Air Guns, that you own

I hear so much conversations about most inexpensive guns not being worth a plug nickel, but I want to share this about a Gamo Hornet Maxxim .22 that I own. It may be a pellet gun that of the five that I own, that by far I paid the least for, but I wouldnt get rid of it for a gold brick. It was the very best $150.00 that Ive ever spent. Ive had it for a year and to this day it still has the 3x9 Gamo scope that came with it. This gun is a rare shooter as I have dropped more than a dozen squirrels with head or neck shots at distances of 30 to 45 yards as my rangefinder has indicated. I knock on wood everyday when I shoot it, but to this point its been a true gem of an accurate gun.

1550190647_3292812655c66083725c4d2.47870626_20190214_182858.jpg

How bout you guys? I know you have that ace in the hole that didnt cost that much.

Benjamin Regal NP (.177 and a .22)... $100 guns from Big 5 that like any pellet you feed them. The .177 gets about 12.5 ft-lbs with 7.4 gr. and the .22 about 15 ft-lbs with 14.3 gr.

Beeman Dual Caliber... roughly the same price as the Regals (same store - gotta love weekly sales with an extra 10% or $20 off). I left it open sights and the .22 barrel to teach the grand kids how to shoot. About 15 ft-lbs, too.

Taken enough ground squirrels with all of them in my back yard that this last spring/summer was pretty dry, squirrel-wise. Thank god for gophers!

Greg

Benji Prowler, Gamo Swarm, and a Crosman 1322

About 200-250.00 invested in each. and all have been modded except the Swarm. Love them all equally.

The Swarms strong points are its light weight and 10shot magazine, it is my main squirrel rifle.

The Prowler's strong point is its power and ability at ranges further than 40 yards.

The 1322 pistol is the perfect camp and float trip gun.

No contest what is my best-shooting, CHEAPEST airgun. That would be my 1960's vintage Crosman 187 Co2 rifle that sold originally for TWENTY-SIX BUCKS (that's right, $26).

I made sure it shot as impressively as many sixties-vintage Crosmans before converting it to a pistol and regulated-bottle high-pressure AIR. My home-made field target pistol averages .66" c-t-c five-shot groups at 50 yards, and has three National Champion and three State Champion titles to its credit (to date).

Truth be told, I actually have almost $200 in the pistol and parts to convert it to air power ($300 counting the scope).

Five consecutive five-shot groups at 50 yards averaged .66" c-t-c. The smallest group measured .34" c-t-c.

1550201300_5454197325c6631d43ad0c8.48397202_187 PFT groups.JPG

1550201335_14573466555c6631f768afb5.91771190_187 Titles.jpg

Mine is a Crosman Storm XT in .177 caliber that I got at wally world at a marked down price of $104 dollars plus tax :). It's been taken apart and polished and lubed front to rear. The trigger has been swapped out for a "gold" aftermarket model and all trigger parts have been stoned and lubed also. I've shortened the barrel 5 inches, shortened the LOP to fit me perfectly and added a custom made vented aluminum muzzle brake. And a couple years ago I tuned it down to 12 ft/lbs. It has taken down more squirrels than all my other pcp's combined. It's the first springer I ever bought that I could actually hit with it. I would get rid of every other airgun I own before I got rid of my Storm.

Thanks Ray

It's been a l-o-n-g time since I've had an 'inexpensive' air rifle, 
but, as soon as I read the title to this thread, a few of my old ones came to mind..

Back in the day, there was a mail order company called "Compasseco", 
and I used to order random inexpensive air guns from them..
[Later on, Pyramid Air bought Compasseco - in 2010]

Some of my favorites were the "Tech Force" line.. I had a few in .17 and .22
[Break barrel and Under-lever cocking springers]
For the price - most were just over $100, and a few were under - They were Great!

Non modded, they were actually pretty accurate - Dialed in / modded, they were amazing!
[I'd shoot them, then mod them - mainly springs and smooth/polish the internals]

When the triggers broke with less force and where I knew they would, 
I could shoot nickels, pennies, and dimes at 30 and 50 yards..

Mostly, I just plinked with them. Damn I miss those guns. They were so-much-fun!!

Sam -

In terms of NEW airguns, the “Beeman P17” SSP pistol really has no peers. For something you can pick up for pocket change at Wally World, it’s simply amazing.

But many of the best bargains are found on the used market. I collect Weihrauch HW 55 target rifles and my best-shooting one is an action that a friend GAVE me, sitting in a spare stock that came in another gun deal. I did spring for a Maccari kit, but the basic gun was essentially free!

The one that impress me the most is a $115 Bud's gun shop Cz slavia 634 .177. mounted a hawke 3_9 airmax scope and she will plant 5 shots under a dime @ 45 yds. Jsb 8.4 4.53 headsize moving along at 765. Yep, got the ugly blue/grey stock but you quickly forget that once the group start forming. My little go to gun and I have 9 others including Cricket, cz 200, talon SS, r9, FWB 300, FWB 124d, rws 54, FX tarantula and izh 46m but the 634 gets ton of action.

Benjamin Prowler .22 paid $90. Once you mod the trigger, you're good to go! ;)

I have one in 177 I paid $140 5 years ago. With the old bug buster scope on it I was blasting bottle caps out to 55 yards, but it's been shot so much it's in need of a rebuild. In its prime it was the go to anti critter gun. It's been replaced in its duties by a PRod. One of these days I plan to restore that riffle to its former glory one of these days damnit!

You can't go wrong with a 13xxx. They are about $50 but you could spend as much as you want on modding it, which there is a million ways to configure that platform. Now you can order one customized to your liking from crosman custom shop. What cost 3-$400 to make from various sources,now you can get for $150 from crosman

This MM-tuned XS-25 in .22 standing in the corner was a great value.

Years back, I bought a little Romanian springer for $15... no powerhouse, but fun, tolerably accurate and a decent plinker.

Even more years back, I picked-up a little Diana 25 in .22 that needed rescuing, bad. Rebuilt, it only does abt 450 fps, but it’s an absolute bell-ringer for accuracy. Old-school German build-quality.

Could prolly name more, but those three come quickly to mind...