What are the best pellets minimize skunk spray?

The general consensus is a heart-lung shot is the best way to minimize skunk spray. So using this shot placement what type of pellet is best in 25 caliber? The range will be about 30 yards and I have the choice between poly mags jsb Kings, hades mk2, h&n baracuda I can shoot all those pellets over 900 feet per second at the muzzle however the Heavies I can only get up to about 880 fps at best. There probably is a trade-off between minimizing spray and how far they walk before dropping dead. I don't want them walking more than about 15 yards. Since they are not very big or thick I would assume a polymag or jsb hades would minimize them walking away however it would probably tear them up. I don't know what that would do as far as them spraying.

1585042317_17011850825e79d38d92b8b6.95248229.jpeg
Shot this one at 52 yards with my RAW HM1000X LRT .25 using the JSB KING HEAVY 33.95 grain pellets while he was ambling at a slow pace at 90 degrees right to left. Put it right off off his eye. He never flinched or sprayed.

Good luck!

Reactions: Animalcub7907
Good luck with no spray. I've shot way over a hundred skunks in the yard over the last few years with .25 Marauder, .22 TX200, .22 rimfire and 12 gauge shotgun. Only one has ever died without spraying and that was at about 20 yards with the 12 gauge.. Trying for heart shots, head shots, no matter where they were hit, in their dying breath, they sprayed. On one other, I threw an old sheet over the trap and then threw the trap in the lake and drowned the skunk and he didn't spray.

My wife would give me a lot of grief if the backyard smell like skunk for week. Your experience matchs Bob_O who said the same thing almost 100% of the spray no matter where they are hit. I only shot one in the lungs and it spray for a fraction of a second. I saw a video of one shot in the head that unloaded for 3+ seconds, bad news!

Maybe I should work on a PCV trap where I can glue a cap on both ends and the smell shouldn't escape. Just throw in the trash.

Unless they are over running the place, let em alone. I shot many and they are not worth the hassle. However if you decide to shoot them have the peroxide detergent mixture ready. Plan on taking a shower immediately because the smell will get on you just being near the dead skunk. Can't use the peroxide mixture on your hair unless you want to lighten it up.😉

Good luck with no spray. I've shot way over a hundred skunks in the yard over the last few years with .25 Marauder, .22 TX200, .22 rimfire and 12 gauge shotgun. Only one has ever died without spraying and that was at about 20 yards with the 12 gauge.. Trying for heart shots, head shots, no matter where they were hit, in their dying breath, they sprayed.  On one other, I threw an old sheet over the trap and then threw the trap in the lake and drowned the skunk and he didn't spray.

All of the old farmers I talked to over the years said to trap them, throw a blanket or sheet over the trap and dunk it in a rain barrel. Zero spray.

Good luck with no spray. I've shot way over a hundred skunks in the yard over the last few years with .25 Marauder, .22 TX200, .22 rimfire and 12 gauge shotgun. Only one has ever died without spraying and that was at about 20 yards with the 12 gauge.. Trying for heart shots, head shots, no matter where they were hit, in their dying breath, they sprayed.  On one other, I threw an old sheet over the trap and then threw the trap in the lake and drowned the skunk and he didn't spray.

All of the old farmers I talked to over the years said to trap them, throw a blanket or sheet over the trap and dunk it in a rain barrel. Zero spray.

Unfortunately while effective this method is not very humane. JMO

Unfortunately while effective this method is not very humane. JMO

Cheap and effective. Why would they waste a bullet and create a stink.