• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning What are some easy performance tunes for a FX Boss .30cal?

Strangeluck65, No disrespect intended but I would slow down a little, get the chrony, keep shooting and enjoying the gun as is as almost everyone has suggested. In the mean time start doing some research on the forum of what is possible and how to get there if you do decide to move forward with some mods eventually. Glem C. has done just about everything there is to do with a Boss so listen to what he says. I've done some mods before and in the end after almost screwing things a up a time or two really didn't gain that much as far as the gun shooting any better. If your shooting the 44gr now at 880 and you do a few mods and get it to shooting say 920 in the real world there isn't really that much gain or improvement and as Odoyle said it may actually shoot less accurate. Just keep everything in perspective but don't hesitate to reach out either. 

Jking

You can definitely retrofit a Crown or Impact STX to fit a Boss. As far as power you can most likely match the upcoming Delta Wolf at 95fpe by using a Huma and running the reg a bit higher like 160-165.

I would more look into using a system from an Impact as the shroud would work but not enough space between barrel and bottle to use Crown parts. You'd need to remove about .5mm from the OD of the barrel house where it slides into the Boss action. Then use the brass inlet from the Boss.

Mid to high 40gr NSA should be a good blend of weight and speed. If you want to go that route.

The Continuum barrel assy will have enough clearance if I go to a dual bottle set up. I work in aviation and at the hangar we have a really good machine shop, the lead machinist likes to do different/cool stuff from time to time - and he works for doughnuts.

That makes sense, the dual bottles wont effect the stock? Or gonna hack that up.

It's a plastic stock, I'll notch it as necessary in a tasteful manner - I'm good at that kind of stuff. Glem, I have a question for you. Do you know if the new Boss comes with the AMP regulator? I'm researching posts to figure out if putting a Huma in is worth it.

Strangeluck65, No disrespect intended but I would slow down a little, get the chrony, keep shooting and enjoying the gun as is as almost everyone has suggested. In the mean time start doing some research on the forum of what is possible and how to get there if you do decide to move forward with some mods eventually. Glem C. has done just about everything there is to do with a Boss so listen to what he says. I've done some mods before and in the end after almost screwing things a up a time or two really didn't gain that much as far as the gun shooting any better. If your shooting the 44gr now at 880 and you do a few mods and get it to shooting say 920 in the real world there isn't really that much gain or improvement and as Odoyle said it may actually shoot less accurate. Just keep everything in perspective but don't hesitate to reach out either. 

Jking

That's why I'm looking for information to do easy/small non-destructive things. If the retrofit barrel doesn't work out - no big deal, put the stock one on. Now on the subject of the dual bottle set up requiring significant modification to the plastic stock. I don't like plastic stocks and much prefer a nice walnut stock, so if the plastic one dies during the experiment - so be it.

Just buy extra parts so it can be put back to how it was. I would invest in a 580cc Carbon fiber bottle rather than a dual bottle set up. It's going to be really front heavy.

Theres a possibility the JSB 44gr may not shoot as well at speeds past 900fps.

I would suggest buying the Corbin press and 30 caliber dies so you can custom make your own slugs however way you want if you want the best possible accuracy.

Just buy extra parts so it can be put back to how it was. I would invest in a 580cc Carbon fiber bottle rather than a dual bottle set up. It's going to be really front heavy.

Theres a possibility the JSB 44gr may not shoot as well at speeds past 900fps.

That's the idea at this point. I've been watching the classifieds for a walnut stock and a Continuum 700mm barrel assy. I already have an extra 480cc bottle, the dual manifolds aren't that expensive, even if I buy one new. A used manifold in theory should be cheaper. The dual bottle idea for me is more about shot count than FPS. If my crazy ideas work, then I will probably get a slug press.