Tuning What are some easy performance tunes for a FX Boss .30cal?

I received my Boss .30 a couple of months ago and have playing with it in it's factory configuration just to get familiar/comfortable with it prior to doing any adjustments. Well now I'd like to see what's possible to get out of it without doing a tear down re-invent the wheel kind of stuff. Any simple/easy things that can be done to improve performance? I'm a mechanic by trade, so I have a full compliment of tools, I'm just lacking in the information part of the matter. Please, lets limit this to FX Boss .30.

Boss's are a little tough compared to the new kids on the block. It has a regulator I'm assuming (pretty sure, unless maybe it's a really old model) so increasing that pressure with a little more hammer energy (more spring tension or possibly a little additional hammer weight) is the probably the first step. Problem with the Boss and Royale's though is that you really don't know what that regulator pressure is precisely. You can monitor your guns gauge and with a chronograph figure out somewhat where the regulator is set. There is a fitting also that can be screwed into the bottom of the action block where the stock retention fitting screws in and then a gauge can be added to that to see the exact regulator pressure. 

Another option is to pull the barrel and see how large the brass barrel port hole is. There may be some gains available there by opening and porting that if it does have a smaller than needed hole. 

I bet Glem Chally will pipe in soon enough. He's done a lot of work with Boss's and I'm sure he'll be a big help. 

Jking

Boss's are a little tough compared to the new kids on the block. It has a regulator I'm assuming (pretty sure, unless maybe it's a really old model) so increasing that pressure with a little more hammer energy (more spring tension or possibly a little additional hammer weight) is the probably the first step. Problem with the Boss and Royale's though is that you really don't know what that regulator pressure is precisely. You can monitor your guns gauge and with a chronograph figure out somewhat where the regulator is set. There is a fitting also that can be screwed into the bottom of the action block where the stock retention fitting screws in and then a gauge can be added to that to see the exact regulator pressure. 

Another option is to pull the barrel and see how large the brass barrel port hole is. There may be some gains available there by opening and porting that if it does have a smaller than needed hole. 

I bet Glem Chally will pipe in soon enough. He's done a lot of work with Boss's and I'm sure he'll be a big help. 

Jking

I'm not 100% sure if it even has a regulator or how I would adjust it. That's the kind of "nuggets of wisdom" I'm looking for.

Regs on .30 Boss/Bobcat are about 155 bar from the factory. Huma makes a replacement that is easier to adjust than the factory reg and very easy to install. You could bump up the reg to 160 or 165 and use more HST to get over 900 FPS with the 44.75 JSB. You don’t want to go much over 900 with the FX ST barrel or you will lose accuracy. If your gun is shooting 865 to 900 in that range there really isn’t much to do to it that will benefit pellet accuracy. Some guys have adapted 600 mm STX barrels and various liners if they want to shoot slugs. The newer valve and seat is larger in diameter and will give you more airflow if you also replace the transfer port with an Ernest or Huma dual transfer port and increase the diameter of the pellet probe hole... But that’s only really necessary if you’re going to shoot slugs. The Boss is good “as is” for pellets. 

If the velocity is consistent on your chrono runs, I would do nothing. Some of the FX regs don't work well. I replaced the one in my Royale with Huma. Easy job, but time consuming, as there is a lot of trial and error involved to find the right set point (no reg tester). It's a simple, dependable platform, the antethisis of most newer FX rifles. 

strangeluck65 - what are the current chrono numbers for your Boss?

My new-to-me Boss is shooting the 44.75's at 873fps, and the 50.15's at 845fps. It is very consistent and I'm getting more accuracy out of it the more I shoot it (I only received it last week). 

I bought mine used, though, so I have no idea whether the previous owner tweaked it, changed out the reg, etc.

strangeluck65 - what are the current chrono numbers for your Boss?

My new-to-me Boss is shooting the 44.75's at 873fps, and the 50.15's at 845fps. It is very consistent and I'm getting more accuracy out of it the more I shoot it (I only received it last week). 

I bought mine used, though, so I have no idea whether the previous owner tweaked it, changed out the reg, etc.

I don't have a crono yet. When I borrowed one a while back, I think I was getting between 830 and 843fps. I'll probably buy one when I stumble across a good deal on a used crono.

Putting in a Huma gives you a bit more power as they're smaller and take up less space in plenum. 

That and some porting on the brass inlet and you're set.

I've had the barrel off once already to unjam pellets (I let a friend fire it and they cocked it twice, loading two pellets in at the same time). I noticed that the T/P is separate than the barrel, any advice how to remove it to open up the port? I have porting tools, so at least I have that part covered. Now getting a Huma reg past my wife-that"s another story...

Shawn, next time you double load, just shoot'em out, no need to remove the barrel. Don't do anything until you get a chronograph. With all respect, seems to me you're ready to get pretty agressive with modding this rifle, but without either any data of current performance, or, what your goal is for enhancing it. Unless you plan to tune it for slugs, I would recommend against doing anything. Also, I don't know if the factory barrel does well with slugs, certainly something to know. 

Shawn, next time you double load, just shoot'em out, no need to remove the barrel. Don't do anything until you get a chronograph. With all respect, seems to me you're ready to get pretty agressive with modding this rifle, but without either any data of current performance, or, what your goal is for enhancing it. Unless you plan to tune it for slugs, I would recommend against doing anything. Also, I don't know if the factory barrel does well with slugs, certainly something to know.

That's exactly it, the smooth twist doesn't like slugs. Perhaps the hybrids but I'd stick to pellets.

The pellets wouldn't shoot out, I tried that first. No I'm not really wanting to get aggressive, just simple things. I have no plans on doing anything heavy like putting in a larger valve and things like that. The biggest mod I plan on doing requires no modification to the rifle itself, I want to retrofit a Crown Continuum .30 barrel assy to it so it will shoot slugs more accurately at distance. Glem.Chally, you are soooo right about slugs in a smooth twist barrel - they corkscrew all the way down range.

I’ve had a Boss for years. Shoots 880 with 44g and the damn thing is as accurate as the day I bought it. Not a mod, but you might want to start stretching out the shooting distance if you have the area. Mine shoots unbelievably accurate out to 250 yards. When it comes to pellets, I haven’t found a gun that shoots pellets long distance as well. 

Honestly I am not too sure your slugs are going to shoot as accurate nor more accurately than the JSB 44gr pellets even if you change the barrel. You got some major deficit in power as-is out of that platform considering 30 caliber slugs but its absolutely perfect as-is for 44gr JSB pellets.

If you try to mod it for more power the 44gr JSB pellets may not shoot as accurately as right now.

You may be better off buying an FX Impact to shoot 30 caliber slugs.

You can definitely retrofit a Crown or Impact STX to fit a Boss. As far as power you can most likely match the upcoming Delta Wolf at 95fpe by using a Huma and running the reg a bit higher like 160-165.

I would more look into using a system from an Impact as the shroud would work but not enough space between barrel and bottle to use Crown parts. You'd need to remove about .5mm from the OD of the barrel house where it slides into the Boss action. Then use the brass inlet from the Boss.

Mid to high 40gr NSA should be a good blend of weight and speed. If you want to go that route.

You can definitely retrofit a Crown or Impact STX to fit a Boss. As far as power you can most likely match the upcoming Delta Wolf at 95fpe by using a Huma and running the reg a bit higher like 160-165.

I would more look into using a system from an Impact as the shroud would work but not enough space between barrel and bottle to use Crown parts. You'd need to remove about .5mm from the OD of the barrel house where it slides into the Boss action. Then use the brass inlet from the Boss.

Mid to high 40gr NSA should be a good blend of weight and speed. If you want to go that route.

The Continuum barrel assy will have enough clearance if I go to a dual bottle set up. I work in aviation and at the hangar we have a really good machine shop, the lead machinist likes to do different/cool stuff from time to time - and he works for doughnuts.

The Continuum barrel assy will have enough clearance if I go to a dual bottle set up. I work in aviation and at the hangar we have a really good machine shop, the lead machinist likes to do different/cool stuff from time to time - and he works for doughnuts.

That makes sense, the dual bottles wont effect the stock? Or gonna hack that up.