N/A What are some decent, more compact springers?

alright, here is the Thing, for me,I do have shorter springers,BSA Lighting XL SE 38"and others,if the springer is powerful the longer barrel gives you leverage for easier cocking, the older I get the more leverage I need;)
That's actually what I want to track down, is a BSA Lightning SE. Preferably 22, but I would be willing to go 177 for one of them. I got rid of all my 177 stuff.

Reactions: wgd and Bandito
Im new to air guns and this is the most idiotic thing I see. Most hunting springers weighing from 8-10 lbs. Thats ridiculous! My 30-06 doesnt even weigh 8lbs scoped. Who wants to carry around a 9lb pea shooter. On top of that, they are very big and bulky, not sleek and maneuverable. Ive read some guys call them adult size. What does that make my Remington 700, youth size? Because its smaller than most of these air guns….come on.

…I really want an HW30 or 50

Im new to air guns and this is the most idiotic thing I see. Most hunting springers weighing from 8-10 lbs. Thats ridiculous! My 30-06 doesnt even weigh 8lbs scoped. Who wants to carry around a 9lb pea shooter. On top of that, they are very big and bulky, not sleek and maneuverable. Ive read some guys call them adult size. What does that make my Remington 700, youth size? Because its smaller than most of these air guns….come on.

…I really want an HW30 or 50
I will eventually get an HW97K in blue laminate. They're pushing th limit on length at 40", but they are amazing guns.

I'm with you on the airgun size. My "compact" kral pcp I built is still 8lbs scoped and 33" long. The average pcp rifle with moderator/shroud is around 41" too, and closing in on 10lbs with optic or more.

I was out shooting my marlin 60 the other day and it felt like a toy with how small everything is.

I totally get what's being said here about airguns and particularly spring airguns being oversized and overweight, but the comparison to centerfire hunting rifles isn't really valid. It's more important that a centerfire hunting rifle be lightweight, because you're likely to be carrying it all day for days on end. When you're airgun hunting on the other hand, chances are you're just spending a couple of hours trying to shoot some rabbits or crows and a ten pound rifle isn't nearly the encumbrance it would be if you were carrying it all day long.

Here are a few for comparison. They are all deadly to 40+ yds, which is all I expect and typically more than I need for pest control. I dispatch a LOT of farm/yard pests. I too want compact/light so... I modify. I have a 40" case that is for my "truck gun" so my pesting gun must fit in it. The longest gun is a Hatsan 95 bone stock with sights removed/ground off. The HW50 is probably my favorite. The Hatsan 95 carbine is my current project and is going to get a bit shorter/lighter before I am done. I am just starting a Hatsan 125 carbine conversion too. I don't think the 125 will make 40" but it sure won't be 49" when I am done. The HW50 will be my next carbine conversion. The HW30 doesn't get enough credit for pest work but they are quite effective on red squirrel/chipmunk/gopher/starling etc..

carbine.jpgcarbine specs.jpg

Reactions: MDriskill
HW50 .177 is a great rifle. The stock sights work well. A red dot is even better. Weighs nothing.

I had a C1 carbine when they first came out. It was handy as the good late Dr Beeman advertised it was. Still a chunk. But well balanced. I discovered it’s more the overall size and balance that matters. Not so much the weight. Like said above, I don’t like carrying the huge long unbalanced springers around. These airgun manufacturers are missing an opportunity to fill a hole in the market. I couldn’t find one either so I made three. Took the Hatsan 95 and shaved off everything not needed. 177, 22, 25 caliber. They are accurate, powerful, short and handy.
6B1E21BB-7B5F-413B-9DD1-18EAAA993362.png