• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A What are some decent, more compact springers?

The BSA Lightning ,the one I have is gas piston,it fits like a glove;Best fitting springer I have ; the problem is I can not get mine to group consistently.It is a .177 and feels like it is overpowering the pellets I am using. It is a beautiful rifle.
Glad I'm not the only one. I have an original BSA Lightning XL in .177 that is a bit of a pain to group consitently as well. Seems to do best with JSB Express pellets, oddly enough. I missed out on an original older BSA Lightning here some time back. Always loved the looks of those, but I fear I would have the same issue with grouping it consistently.

Clearly something is wrong. I’ve been messing around with these el-cheap-o Umarex Ruger MKIV’s. 177 caliber spring pistol. These don’t weigh a pound! The frame and barrel are polymer. Steel inner rifled barrel. Receiver is cast metal. It cocks very easily. With a trigger job the accuracy is incredible. I have two of these and they both launch a RWS Basic 7.0 grain lead pellet at nearly 350 fps. So it takes a solid steel 40+ inches long, weighing in at 7+ pounds rifle to get a couple hundred more fps???
2941080C-0C30-49BD-9C58-32FF45DE8229.jpeg

Reactions: mossyoakpenn
Hey bear, great minds or something...Mine is a work in progress, tuned mod 87QE in a 95 stock. Still gotta trim/reshape/finish the stock. It's a shooter. 30 yd sight in

View attachment 418157View attachment 418158
All three of these 95 carbines in 3 different calibers, shot better after the modifications. And so much more enjoyable to shoot. Good luck. Keep us all updated.

Reactions: Bandito
Bear-of-Grayling, what did you get your Hatsans down to weight wise? Im considering chopping mine waaaay down too…
Not a huge deduction in weight. Not really sure. It’s the balance and overall size that mattered to me. With the compact scopes, shortened barrel, trimmed stock (at both ends) the gun feels lighter and most importantly is handy. The muzzle brakes are the factory polymer front sight filed and sanded down. (On two of the three). Again keeping the weight off. When the front sight is removed, you will find a knurling and a v- slot. I cut mine down in the center of the v-slot. Leaving half of it and a bit of knurling behind it. I think the barrel is chocked down with the knurling process when made so I left some. Re-crowned right at the center of the v-slot. Accuracy is incredible.

Related newbie question, do springers need to be heavy to shoot accurately?
Short answer, no. It’s the caliber selection that is most important to me. Springers shoot and behave best in the 750 fps velocity area. The heavier the pellet at this speed, the more down range energy generated.

Bear-of-Grayling, what did you get your Hatsans down to weight wise? Im considering chopping mine waaaay down too…
Just weighed in. Gun, Mount and Scope are exactly 8lbs. 39” in length. The scope is small but a bit chunky. All three scopes have held up perfectly. This is the .177 spring model. The other two are the Vortex and may be a tiny bit lighter. This 177 launches lead over 1000 fps with no twang.

Last edited:
Good balance goes a long way to alleviating weight. I might chop mine down and take a rasp to it. $125 experiment. On the other hand, I just got to shoot my Crosman 362 100 year model last night…took me 30 minutes to sight in and be hitting 2” spinners offhand at 35 yards consistently. The balance and trigger on that thing are spot-on.

Reactions: MDriskill
Good balance goes a long way to alleviating weight. I might chop mine down and take a rasp to it. $125 experiment. On the other hand, I just got to shoot my Crosman 362 100 year model last night…took me 30 minutes to sight in and be hitting 2” spinners offhand at 35 yards consistently. The balance and trigger on that thing are spot-on.
Is this the one on AOA?

I do have a crosman tyro youth springer. It's very small and light, but the trigger is about 15lb pull... dunno how they marketed this thing for a kid. If I could figure out a way to lighten that up, it would make it much better. It's only 6 fpe with 10 grainers, but just enough for plinking and pest birds in my closest tree.