What and how can I hunt?

Hello, the answer to this will most likely be “nothing” but worth a try.

I am new to air guns and I got my first budget PCP in .177. Living in a heavily populated urban city of Long Beach, CA. I have only my small backyard to shoot rats causing damage to our chicken coop. Now the rats are not coming by much…after about 20 dead.

Is there anywhere near by, or anything I can hunt legally here? The gun i have is Kral NP03, and looks like a tactical carbine. I dont want SWAT showing up.

You are in one of the most populous areas of the country. Any hunting that isn't in your backyard will require planning, travel and some dedication. Get a copy of the hunting regulations in CA and get familiar with them. You should find these available online or at a local sporting goods store.

Look at National Forest land and state lands open to hunting. You likely have ground squirrels and hares available down there. Alternately I'd look to the waterways and traditional duck hunting areas for invasives like nutria.
If you are not willing to travel perhaps some of your friends may have some rodents that need some work...or get a few laying hens and a small coop in your yard for eggs...they will come.

You should also build a bait station to shoot the rats on (I use one so pellets that pass through don't fly anywhere and it also will attract the rats away from your chicken coops), I smear peanut butter on the platform (it's actually a peanut butter lid held down with screws) so they have to stay there to eat. I also use a wireless doorcam to alert me when one shows up, fun stuff!

Reactions: SHOMER and Hal4son
Don't get caught or have someone call the Police that you've been shooting (Rats or Targets) in your back yard. Long Beach, you are about as far away from things as you could possibly get.
Get on the Website, get a Hunting Lisc, Talk to couple of Game Wardens in the area you are interested in hunting, and have them give you some guidance.

Smitty

Reactions: SHOMER
I don't believe you can hunt tree squirrels in the ca national forest but that might have been lifted by now. The high desert would probably be your best place to hunt ground squirrels and jack rabbit. With a.177 you'll be limited to the small game. Wait until around October as it will be a lot cooler than say the inland valleys because the high desert doesn't get affected by the Santanas.

I don't believe you can hunt tree squirrels in the ca national forest but that might have been lifted by now. The high desert would probably be your best place to hunt ground squirrels and jack rabbit. With a.177 you'll be limited to the small game. Wait until around October as it will be a lot cooler than say the inland valleys because the high desert doesn't get affected by the Santanas.
Careful on the Ground Squirrels in the high desert, the Mohave Ground Squirrel is a Protected Species.

Smitty

Thanks everyone. I do not like to drive, so i think hunting isn’t much of an option. I don’t know why i live in CA. I mean i can live anywhere I want since I have a 100% remote job. The house prices are insane, all houses on our street are valued over a mil now. I should just rent it out and move to somewhere i can just walk out the door and shoot. I have no real fun in life. Maybe time to change.

Thanks everyone. I do not like to drive, so i think hunting isn’t much of an option. I don’t know why i live in CA. I mean i can live anywhere I want since I have a 100% remote job. The house prices are insane, all houses on our street are valued over a mil now. I should just rent it out and move to somewhere i can just walk out the door and shoot. I have no real fun in life. Maybe time to change.
I always like when people say, "But the weather great."
I've lived on both coast north and south and each of those states had great weather.
Should be moved to SC in the next month or so.
Smitty

Reactions: Puppadore
Rent out your place and move to Ohio. You can hunt coyote and groundhog all year long, but you're gonna need something bigger than a .177cal to do it.

Reactions: ohio_hunter